The Spirit of the Law

GoJo09

I started a Whole 30 back in April, but had to stop due to some issues with training nutrition (basically I left it too late in my training for a half marathon to suddenly cut out sugar - my body didn't know what to do with itself!). Since then though I stayed Paleo (except for alcohol. Egads the alcohol.) but I feel that I was following the rules but looking for loopholes.

So, I'm starting again now for the month before a big road trip with my parents. And this time I'll be following not just the letter but the spirit of the law. Sweet potato and beetroot chips cooked in olive oil? Technically compliant, but... Bags full of nuts roasted in coconut oil? Technically compliant, but... Larabars? Technically compliant, but...

All those foods where I know full well I'm skipping along the edge are out for the next 30 days. I've even got my Mum (and by extension, my Dad) to agree to do Dry July with me, where they won't be drinking at all for the month before we meet up for the trip, and then only on "special occasions" while we're away - ie. touring the vineyards of Margaret River.

My goals for the next 30 days:

1. Limit nuts to condiment status

2. Eat food as food, not treats/snacks/yummies (yes, I'm secretly 9yo)

3. Lift weights 2-3 times a week, and walk another 2-3 times a week at work plus extra on the weekend (not easy now it's winter - but I have a treadmill, so no excuses)

4. Cut back on the TV watching and increase the book reading (I go through stages with these, but TV has been the predominant evening activity of late

5. Log each meal in the TwoGrand app, just for fun and a bit of accountability (I know I'm eating something borderline when I don't snap a pic!)

Archived