Starting Whole30 on June30!

Sara Hallgren

​I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday June 30th! I am very excited and nervous for this lifestyle change. I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. My goal is to figure out what is safe to eat so I do not have to be on medication for the rest of my life. I am going to try to follow the Auto-Immune Protocol (this is the part I'm nervous about; I live an active lifestyle and want to make sure I'm putting enough fuel into my body). I have built up my confidence by reading "It Starts With Food", reading other people with Crohn's testimonials, and by having a veteran of the Whole30 as a best friend! I wish everyone out their good luck, weather you are on your first day or your last! 

-Sara 

(I will try my best to keep up with the forum.)

Sara, if you are very active you might find it difficult to "play" (run whatever) to the same level during the first few weeks. Your body will be adjusting. Don't be put off, stick with the "diet" 110% for the 30 days (if in doubt leave it out) and be kind to your body and yourself if you are not to your normal standard. It is only 30 days. Nothing compared to the problems you have probably had for years? Give it a proper chance, you will be getting enough fuel, that isn't an issue at all, but you need to give your body rest and "space" to adjust properly, don't go overdoing the activity. LISTEN to your body. It will tell you. 

Hiya, I started my second Whole30 yesterday and I'm doing AIP too :-) I've got niggling digestive issues that my first Whole30 helped but didn't clear up and I'm going to try going the whole hog with AIP to see if it helps.  Love a challenge so, weirdly, I'm actually looking forward to this!

Good luck to you Sara and all! I'm on day 16 feeling great. My hairdresser has Crohn's and has been through it all. She started paleo lifestyle about a year ago and she feels the best she has since diagnosis. She is great about it and knows how good she feels now and vows to never return. It's amazing how much healthier and stronger she looks now. She's been able to start working out recently as well since she has healed so much of her gut. 

Luckily I don't have Crohn's that bad, but I am doing this "diet" without my doctors consent. After my colonoscopy/diagnosis I asked him right away if I should start changing the way I ate and he said "No, I have a prescription for you." That made me very frustrated, I've done a lot of research on this disease (because my symptoms start 5 years ago) and the most common thing I came across was diet change. I've even talked to "survivors" and they eat paleo/whole30 now and don't have to take any medication.So I didn't want to wait around for my symptoms to get worse and I thought I would get a jump start on this lifestyle change and then present it to my doctor on the next appointment. 

Archived