Recovering alcoholic. My fragile organs.

Suprsndy

I'm on day 5. I have 5 months of recovery. And I'm wondering if having severe pancreas problems, in addition to a fatty liver due to alcohol abuse, will bring up any issues for me. I tried to look for any other questions similar to mine, and couldn't find anything. Anyone else with info or thoughts?

• Moderators

Welcome! I don't think either pancreas or liver issues will stop your Whole30 from being a good experience. 

You may need to be extra careful about how you manage sugar cravings. Lots of people in recovery replace alcohol with sugar. In fact, years ago - when my experience was current - treatment programs encouraged eating lots of sweet stuff. People new to the Whole30 sometimes try to satisfy cravings for something sweet by eating fruit or coconut butter, but that is exactly the wrong approach. The best thing to do with sugar cravings is to starve them to death. When you feel a desire for something sweet, eat some protein and fat instead. 

Thank you for your reply! Sugar surprisingly is not a problem. I'm allergic to wheat, and sugar and I don't get along so well. Diabetes runs in the family...

I guess I was more concerned with any side effects the increased protein/fat would have. I have had 5 hospital stays in the last 2 years for pancreatitis. And my organs feel a bit sore. Is this normal for everyone?

I also haven't been eating as much food as I could have, because I'm scared of the above factors. And I'm simply not used to eating so much food.

Archived