Oh no, have had mints and gum (on day 16)

Whole9inHouston

Well throughout the Whole 30 I have been chewing mints and when working on chewing gum.  Does that mean I need to start completely over?  I plan on doing this for a total of 40 days - can I just keep going and not eat the mints or chew gum for the remainder of the program? 

My brain didn't even click!

A restart isn't necessary, as long as none of the mints included carrageenan (I say this because Listerine Cool Mint breath strips contain carrageenan).  Ingesting carrageenan, accidental or not, would call for a restart of your Whole30, as it disrupts the gut.

If the only non-compliant ingredients in the gum and mints were sugar and artificial sweetener, keep going, dropping the gum and mints for the rest of your Whole30. Consider delaying reintroduction of sugar and artificial sweetener for 16 days after you're done, so you have 30 consecutive days free of these ingredients.

I'm not gonna contradict a moderator but I recommend you be honest with yourself. Maybe this is very dependent on the (sensitivities of a) person and/or the quantities involved but I know that sugarfree gum/anything/artificial sweeteners are the devil for my health and digestion. Which is why I personally am starting over my Whole30.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind that nasty stuff not "oficially requiring a reset" but they're a major gut disruptor for me. I can see and feel it whenever I manage even one or a few days without - my belly shrinks considerably due to decreased bloating, my digestion and overall health are so much better...

I guess it's up to you how you want to proceed. Ask yourself and your body if it'd be worth for *you* to restart or not.

Also, there's a great blog post you might want to read that just went up today: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

:)

Guest WholeStanley

I keep a travel toothbrush and tooth paste in my bag at work these days - at first my colleagues thought it was funny but now they are all used to it ha

Thankful today - no carrageenan in the gum or mints!! Good thing I only buy one type of gum and mints!  Sure didn't want to start over again, but will for sure continue without sugar.  New goal is to remain on the program through day 49 when I will be in Sydney and it will not be as easy.

Thank you all so much for the responses, truly helpful.

Archived