Trouble with Breakfast around workouts

Sheri0330

Hello! I am starting my first Whole 30 and I have some questions regarding my pre and post workout meals. I've been searching around for answers and haven't found anything that pertains to my workout schedule. I work from home and make my own schedule. I workout every morning at 9 am because that is as early as I can out my two year old in child care at the gym. I am up at 6:45 though getting my other two kids situated and fed and dressed. I am having issues trying to figure out the best way to time my meals. I can't do eggs because they irritate my stomach but I was considering doing a chicken sausage and some cashews preworkout. After my workout though should I have a bigger breakfast like meal with carbs and protein? Maybe ground turkey, sweet potato and some other green veggies? Then my next meal would be lunch? I'm just wondering if this is the right amount of food and if the timing is on point? I am usually done with my workout by 10-10:15am. Also, if I have the cashews with breakfast can I have nuts or seeds again anytime during the day or should I stick to another fat source? I am trying to build muscle and lean out a bit. I'm 5'7" and 145 pounds. I was a macro counting FREAK before this but I was unhealthy mentally with counting calories and macros so I'm hoping this Whole30 will help heal my mental state with my body image and scale obsession as well but in the meantime I really want to do this right:) Thank you for your help!!

5'7" and 145 pounds.

You are at a normal weight for your height (not overweight at all), so I would encourage you to look at body composition changes vs. weight loss as a possible goal. That means building muscle, which needs fuel!

Chicken sausage and cashews would be fine for pre-workout. Afterwards, the recommendation is to get some protein in within 1/2 hour, so you might want to consider bringing some lean protein source with you to the gym. This is in addition to a full template breakfast which you could eat as soon as you get home.

On nuts and seeds, the program guidelines don't limit these particularly, but many people do find they do better limiting these--test and adjust from there. The main complaints for nuts and seeds are digestive distress and overeating ("food without breaks"). If you experience either of these you might cut back.

Thank you for this information:) I have realized that nuts and seeds are for sure food with no breaks for me and I am going to try to cut them out. I was relying on them for some of my fats but I found myself grading which is a huge no no! I am going to have you get creative with my fats:) do you have suggestions for a quick post workout protein that isn't eggs?

do you have suggestions for a quick post workout protein that isn't eggs?

We don't recommend eggs for post workout because of fat content. If you must have eggs in this context, use whites only, otherwise any lean meat is good: roast beef, turkey, chicken, tuna (packed in water), etc.

Archived