Fighting the emotional connection to food

I'm on Day 17 and the first 2 weeks have been great. 48 hrs ago the teenage step children came home after school holidays and tonight all the hell and crap they cause has reared it's ugly head yet again. I'm now struggling with the urge to comfort myself with really bad choices (think chocolate, ice cream and alcohol even mixed up together) and I'm now feeling really angry and frustrated at myself for having these thoughts.

I refuse to give in to them but it is really hard and emotional. It's like I can feel my body being flooded with all the hormones and knowing what the constant stress is doing to my body, I'm left wondering what's the point. Is eating well doing the Whole30 really going to be enough when I have all this crap to constantly deal with at home. I know food is only part of the picture and I need to reduce stress and get restful sleep but at times like this it is near impossible. Oh I should add I have a heart condition which the stress aggravates so I'm left with heart palpitations for days after nights like this. I really want to get my health and relationship with food back in order so is continuing with Whole30 food going to be enough? I'm just so confused right now.

Food alone may not be enough, but it will likely give you a solid foundation from which to make other lifestyle changes. Hence the book title, "It Starts with Food."  :) (And the company name Whole9, which is based on engaging 9 factors to achieve a healthy lifestyle: http://whole9life.com/faq/)

Be gentle and kind to yourself as you make these changes: it's only day 17. You're teaching your brain new habits and new responses for the betterment of your health. Treat yourself as you would your best friend going through the process. 

Complete your Whole30, do a controlled reintroduction, and decide how you want to ride your bike going forward. From there, look at ways for you to reduce your stress and get at least 8 hours of sleep more often than not.

Archived