Another whole 30 who's in ? ! JULY 26

Nickle83

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me about this cold brew coffee!  And also about the steak houses for eating out - my husband (who is doing whole 30 is travelling this week and will be eating at a steakhouse or 2)  What should he order and how?

and speaking of coffee...I have my first batch of cold brewed coffee in the works. I'm hoping to have it in the morning with coconut milk and maybe a drop of vanilla or a little cinnamon.

Here is my instagram for anyone interested: http://instagram.com/auburngalnc

Like many of you, I have turned to food in times of stress. I'm currently having to work with a woman whose values don't mesh with mine and finding it de-energizing. From Jan Frazier's book "When Fear Falls Away" I'm using the saying "What if I'm happy anyway? Despite all the drama this woman chooses to generate - what if I'm happy anyway?" That is helping. 

Loooooooove pinterest for whole30 recipes!!! Thanks to @AuburngalNC for your link!

Am surprised that I'm not currently tempted (she says confidently on day 2) by sugar or bread/grains. I've tried to quit sugar before, but I'm wondering now if it was so hard before because even though I quit obvious sugars (candy, ice cream, etc.) I kept feeding myself things like grains that were turning into sugar during the digestive process...

I have Lyme and struggle with brain fog and am VERY tempted to overcaffeinate, but it just makes everything worse. I'm really hoping that this program will give me more energy and help out with the brain fog.

LOVING reading about the struggles, challenges, and victories!

So here is where I got my "recipe" from for cold brew coffee... http://www.chow.com/recipes/30487-basic-cold-brewed-coffee ...Cold brew coffee is great because it is a healthy alternative to iced coffee when you use coconut milk. Since it is cole brewed it doesn't get bitter like coffee you make hot and put in the refridgerator or pour over ice and it stays good in the fridge for a week!

Today is my day 3 and struggle doesn't begin to describe it! I am on two of these forums since I started in between the start dates of both, so I will share with you part of what I posted on the other forum.

This has been one of the single worst days for me...in life, not just during a whole30. I hurt my "good" knee yesterday (good knee because it has only had one surgery as opposed to my bad knee which has had 8!) I have never been in this much pain (even post surgical) and when I went to my doctor, I was told to just take advil and tylonal for a couple weeks until insurance will approve an MRI. I feel like I might cut if off myself by that point, but I have no choice. (to make it more ironic, I work for the insurance company...lol) So between the pain and last minute appointment I didn't feel like eating much breakfast and didn't have time to eat all my lunch. Now it is an hour till dinner and I am starving, lightheaded, in pain that is keeping tears in my eyes... but you know what?!?!?!?!

I AM REMAINING COMPLIANT!!! Life is not perfect and will never be perfect, but my health is more important that a bad day!

Stay strong,

Sarah

Sarah that is sounding like such a tough day!! but your mindset is in a good place for you to power through it. !

remember eating whole30 will bring down inflammation in your body so it is THE BEST thing for your 'good' knee right now!

i'm finding today a struggle too!!! i keep slipping on little things. gak *

i bought a dry brush today i'm going to start a morning routine. skin brushing when i first wake up and tea before coffee!

Hey there - not sure if there are any Mark's Daily Apple Followers here, but last week I decided to write to him for help given I have now fallen off the wagon many times. He posted my note in yesterday's "Dear Mark" column and I thought it was sound advice:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/constantly-falling-off-the-primal-wagon-frozen-produce-and-a-few-more-carbs/#axzz38sYuXbH2

Here's the thing - I'm not giving up on Whole 30 yet, but perhaps knowing that - once my days are up, I can apply an 80/20 strategy - might help me keep my commitment to myself until August 25th because I have a plan I know I can stick to following the end of this experiment!

Anybody here follow the 80/20 paleo rule before doing W30?

@bpxdomino ...I followed an 80/20 paleo diet between my first whole30 and this round. Many people find that it works well for them. I suppose it worked well for me at the beginning, but then you start slipping and by the weekend before I started this round, I was lucky to be 50/50!!

@twopunkspaper... For steakhouses grilled steaks and seafood are good options and steamed veggies or plain sweet potato are generally safe sides. Salads are good with grilled meats as long as you make sure they don't put cheese or croutons on it. If they don't have just vinegar and oil for dressing, lemon wedges and cracked pepper are often easy enough to request. For grilled meats, make sure they don't marinate the meat and ask about the seasoning. I've gone to Outback steakhouse twice during the whole30 and have gotten the Outback Special, hold the seasoning, steamed veggies, and a plain baked sweet potato. The carnitas salad at Chipotle is complient. I also know of two restraunts in my area that have burgers made from local grassfed beef and I can go there and get a burger served between lettuce leaves instead of a bun with tomato, grilled onions, and mustard. The most important thing about eating out is to view the menu ahead of time and ask questions!

Hi!  I started my first whole30 on the 26th as well, but just diving into the forums.

I have recently been diagnosed with binge eating disorder.  I knew I had general "disordered eating" before that, but this really put a name to it and I feel is a pretty accurate diagnosis.  I "eat my feelings" as we say and always have.  In the past, I have also used dieting as a way to feel more in control, so even diets are dangerous territory for me.

Oh, and did I mention that up until a couple of months ago I was a professional food writer?  (My issues; let me show you them.)

I was intrigued by whole30 for a lot of reasons, but I knew I had to do it when I read, "This isn't hard. Losing a parent is hard."

On July 6, I lost my dad to leukemia. He was only 64. That was hard, and still is.  There is a lot of cancer in my family.  My paternal grandfather died of esophageal cancer in October of last year.  My maternal grandfather died of pancreatic cancer.  My aunt had a scare with ovarian cancer, and my sister had a (benign) growth removed with half her thyroid at the age of 26. Several family members have had skin cancers removed. 

I know that none of these cancers can be totally linked back to environment or diet or anything like that.  I know that you can eat clean your whole life and still get cancer or some other terrible disease.  But I also know that the crap we feed ourselves can't be helping.  I'm ready to clean up my act.

I'm also now keenly aware that, where I thought my "good genes" pretty much guaranteed me seeing my 80s (barring a bus crash or something) I'm now really internalizing that nobody knows their expiration date.

A chef I was interviewing once told me that he ate most of the time like he had cancer, so that he would hopefully never have to.

I'm doing this to reset my relationship with food.  To be a good example for my daughter.  I hope to get to a place where I can be paleo 80 or 90 percent of the time, and then just enjoy the hell out of the rest without guilt. :)

SO. That's my story.  Doing OK so far. Probably eating too much meat.  DEFINITELY ate too many nuts today. Afternoon snacking is going to be a tough habit to break! But this isn't hard.

This isn't hard.

@lucylu422- Welcome! I admire you for sharing. This is my second go round with the whole30 and it was a couple weeks in on my first one when I started getting mad a people calling this a diet. I love that you want to change your relationship with food and as long as your doctor/therapist agrees, I think you will find that this isn't a diet, but a life changing way of learning how your body responds to what you put in it. Read the book if you haven't. It was eye opening. I have now become a foodie! I can imagine you going thru this journey and coming out on the other side healthy, happy, and a food writer of a different sorts!

I'm realizing there's this group as well as a July 28 group...and lucky me, I restarted on the 27th...so I think I'll adopt this group as my own. Staying strong on Day 4. I made a delicious lamb and eggplant curry two nights ago and I still have those leftovers. Last night, I put a rack of pork spare ribs (from the farm where I am a co-op member, so I know the pig they came from!) in the crockpot with a bit of homemade ketchup/vinegar marinade. When I woke up this morning, I hand picked the bones right out and have some AMAZING meat ready to go through the rest of the week. I'm LOVING all the things I'm cooking. I'm going to hunt for a BBQ sauce recipe so I can use the meat for pulled pork.

Hope you all are having a great day!

here's the post I mistakenly put on the July 28 page yesterday, including the recipe for the lamb dish I made:

Hey all,

Happy Day 3 for me (and to you all--whatever day you're on)!

I have hidden the scale. I'm now truly not checking until August 25th when I'm finished.

I wanted to share a DELICIOUS dish I made last night (photo here). I basically made it up, but here's the recipe sort of:

2lbs ground lamb*

2 medium eggplants

1 large yellow onion

~5 spoonfuls of green curry paste (you can make homemade but I have some compliant)

cumin to taste

1 small can tomato paste

2 cans coconut milk

Brown the lamb and onion, remove grease--add all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer. When eggplant is soft, it's ready. I bet it'd be super yummy served over veggies, rice, potatoes or even pasta, but it's pretty yummy all on its own, too. 

*If you don't like lamb, it is good with other meat. The eggplant/curry/cumin felt Mediterranean, so I went with lamb. But ground beef or chicken would work too. 

@channon18 The best BBQ sauce I've had that is whole30 approved is Nomnompaleo's Cherry BBQ sauce ...we have had it on chicken, ribs, porkchips....it is seriously yummy! I even served it on ribs at a family bbq I hosted during my first whole30 and there were no leftovers!

Day 4 for me...thankfully my day has been better than yesterday! I'm feeling good. I'm still struggling with wanting an afternoon snack. I wish I hadn't picked that habit back up on my vacation. Oh well...feeling good. Haven't worked out the last two days because of my knee injury, but I'm hoping to get back to the gym tomorrow and at least do an upper body workout.

Welcome, PrisZ!

Oh lacylu422, how I empathize with you! I have a lot of the same tendencies as you. I'm on day 5 and as long as I keep the meals simple I don't feel overwhelmed. I'm also taking a probiotic for the first time in my life (on the advice of my doctor). I always intuited that my binge eating had a hormonal component. Turns out (largely due to chronic Lyme) I had very little intestinal flora. Taking a probiotic at night (instead of in the morning as the bottle says to do) has had an amazing effect on my sense of hunger and fullness. I always thought that I just ignored hunger and fullness signals or they were drowned out by emotions, but no - my leptin receptors were just on the fritz. All this to say that Whole30 will help with a lot of things. Even if you have a history of emotional eating, there may be a biological reason hidden in there about which you are completely unaware.  All the best to you!

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Feeling pretty proud of myself today.  This afternoon, I got rear ended at a stoplight.  UGH!  Luckily, no one was hurt, and cars can be fixed.  But my first thought on driving away after the police report et al: "I don't want to cook. We should go out to eat."

Luckily, I had done a little research before and knew that Chipotle was a pretty safe choice.  I had a salad bowl with carnitas and lots of guacamole — and NONE of their chips (which I love) OR a margarita (which I REALLY wanted).

Hot bath and an early bedtime for me tonight, I think.

hi everybody! so, I planned on a whole7 just to test my resistance to it and the feasibility of the whole project and... though I know that tomorrow I will most certainly not refuse a night out with my friends, I'm also pretty sure that I'll be able to control myself much more than before.
I feel like I don't want to ruin all I've done so far. I confess I haven't felt much of an improvement (of course, 7 days are not enough to tell), but I must admit SOME changes have taken place. most importantly, in my head. so, I guess on sunday I'll be starting another whole7 or whole 14 or... well, we'll see how far I can go next time!

@MelissaMerlin- If this is your first time trying the program, I recommend that you do a whole30! There are so many benefits to going the 30 days. I know from when I did my first whole30 that some benefits like superman type energy and better sleep didn't start until around day 20. Also in the book ISWF they talk about how it takes 30 days for your body to recover from things like leaky gut. If you have made it 7 days, you are already thru the hard part!!!

I'm on day 6 and feeling great. Days 3-5 were hard for me not just because my body was going through the icky phase of this journey, but it was also very stressful at work and I was really depressed about injuring my knee...again. With everything in life though there are hills and valleys with my stress/moods. Things are finally starting to settle back down and like I do menu planning and food planning, I have started planning out ways to deal with stress right now too.

Last night I made the most amazing buffalo chicken salad with homemade paleo ranch. I rediscovered when I did my first whole30 that I love to cook and it is extremely relaxing to me.

I hope everyone is having a great day!!

Hey all, stayed strong today. @auburngalNC, thanks for the BBQ sauce recommendation. I'd read that recipe before but forgot all about it! It was super easy--I used my immersion blender to smooth it out--and I now have a load of bbq pulled pork in my fridge!

I set a PR of a 145# front squat at crossfit tonight, and I ran two miles with intervals averaging under 10:30/mile (which is really strong for me). This second time around seems to be going well! Family party at the beach tomorrow, but I'm not worried about it.

Hey there - not sure if there are any Mark's Daily Apple Followers here, but last week I decided to write to him for help given I have now fallen off the wagon many times. He posted my note in yesterday's "Dear Mark" column and I thought it was sound advice:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/constantly-falling-off-the-primal-wagon-frozen-produce-and-a-few-more-carbs/#axzz38sYuXbH2

Here's the thing - I'm not giving up on Whole 30 yet, but perhaps knowing that - once my days are up, I can apply an 80/20 strategy - might help me keep my commitment to myself until August 25th because I have a plan I know I can stick to following the end of this experiment!

Anybody here follow the 80/20 paleo rule before doing W30?

Nicole - thanks for posting your question on marks daily apple - i'm a big fan of that website. 

and i totally agree with everything he has to say . 

i'm in sort of the same boat as you . 

i can do the whole30 for a bit and then fall back on some things and end up mentally disappointing myself  more damage than the small indulgent.

i have lived by the 80/20 rule and i like it. all my main meals are primal which in my mind is (80%) and then the 20% comes from small things like maybe a fancy latte or something like that ... i think it works it still gives boundaries to not allowing big deserts especially if you've had something already in the day you know what i mean? anyways i have to say the 80/20 might be the reAL Challenge its how you might  live your life no time period attached !

hope this helps that article helped me. 

Early morning of Day 7 here!  I have to say, I'm a little nervous about how easy this has been... I haven't had any terrible symptoms or withdrawals, nor any serious cravings (even after my car accident!).  Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm feeling like I can't possibly be doing this right. Diets are supposed to be hard, right?  I haven't really "cheated" either.  The only possible cheats are that I ate a hot dog yesterday (no bun) from a party, so I don't know its providence and I ate coconut curry chicken from a Whole Foods hot bar that tasted way too good.  ;)  (Although the sign said it was compliant.)

This morning I am SOOOOO tempted to go get on the scale to see if there's been any movement.  I won't, but I am tempted!  

I'm just downright shocked at how easy it has been to give up my favorite foods for a week.  I was a dessert every day, refined carbs at every meal, sugar in my coffee kind of gal.  Let's hope I'm not getting cocky!  I'm going to a beer festival tonight.  :/  Plan is to eat BBQ (no sauce) and walk around a lot.

Just dropping in. So far, so good. Last night I went to a bbq and after grilling the host about a cabbage salad, I ate a small amount and found out it DID have honey...oh well. I'm on my second Whole30 and minus that slip and one night of wine, I'm totally compliant. I will just forge ahead and continue feeling great. I'm trying to be good about the scale...I really want to wait and look at the end of August. I was at three parties this weekend, so the fact that my only cheat was that honey in the salad is pretty darn good. Sipping some kombucha now and looking forward to making a spaghetti bake from omgpaleo tonight!

Archived