Starting Whole30 Today

Rosencrantz1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 28. Almost done. Not planning on reintroducing anything (except, probably, an occasional drink). I might try a piece of cheese, just to see what happens, but I'm really not missing the dairy or interested in bringing it back.

I've been grain/legume/sugar free for well over a year, and obviously have zero interest in bringing any of that stuff back.

In fact, I would say the only real difference I anticipate post-30 is that on those occasions when I do go out for a meal, I won't feel the need to be quite as strict with checking on all the ingredients, etc. etc. For me, this is really a pretty easy way to eat and live, and I don't see any reason to move away from it.

Day 31.

Weighed myself this morning - lost a pound or two, but i wasn't doing the whole30 to lose weight (I am M, 42, 5'10" and started the whole30 at 154lbs and about 9-10% bf). I figured I wasn't going to see major body comp changes without something even more extreme than whole30 - like going into ketosis for a while, which I'm not necessarily all that eager to do.

But the reasons I did do the whole30 - to see how certain foods affected me, to try and improve how I feel, etc., all were positive for me. I kicked out dairy (and found it shockingly easy to do so), and that might be the only thing I would test for reincorporation. Not because I'm so eager to start consuming a lot of dairy, but just to try and figure out how sensitive I really am to it.

But, I really don't feel like taking that step NOW. I'm totally happy with what and how I'm eating. I, luckily enough, was never one to battle a lot of cravings (sugar, carbs, etc.) and I've been primal/paleo for about 15 months at this point, so things like bread, pasta, cookies, etc. have been out of the picture for a long time.

The only other thing I might reintroduce is a little bit of white rice with sushi a few times a month. I was doing that pre-whole30, and while I don't miss it terribly, I do like my sushi once in a while.

As far as any other "off-roading" type items, I really, really, really don't miss them.

Anyway, I would say this has been a success and that, generally speaking, I'm not going "off" the whole30 going forward. I'm just going to keep eating this way. Yes, if I'm out I will be a little less concerned about how strict I'm being with my ordering, but to me that means I won't sweat a bit of butter, or a little sugar in a sauce. It doesn't mean I'm going to start ordering fried chicken and pasta - I don't want that stuff anyway.

So, uh, ok!

By way of a post-whole30 update: I guess today would technically be day 33 for me. I haven't reintroduced anything, so I'm basically still on my whole30. I did, for the first time in a while, have a mid-afternoon snack today - a couple handfuls of cashews and one slice of roast beef. Snacking wasn't an issue for me during the official 30 days, so I figure, hey, just one of those things today. Food-wise, I'm still just eating whole30 approved stuff.

Oh, I am keeping up with the meditation, though. I signed up for a year of Headspace, and am currently working through the Take 15 program (having completed the Take 10 first). Enjoying that journey as well.

Archived