Starting Whole30 Today

Rosencrantz1

Greetings!

My wife and I are starting a Whole30 today. We come to the Whole30 after following The Primal Blueprint for just over the last year, with amazing results. Although we are both happy with where we are in terms of body composition, we wanted to see what added benefits we might find from a truly strict 30-day focus.

We had been pretty strict with our PB, maybe 90/10. The big changes we've made for the Whole30 are cutting out dairy, cutting out snacking, and, for my wife, cutting out a small amount of artificial sweetener. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but since we're starting from a pretty good place, those are the big things we are doing.

Thanks, everybody. We had a great first day!

Since today was a rest day for both of us workout-wise, we just had our three meals.

Breakfast was a scramble with eggs, spinach, and a couple slices of bacon, and black coffee.

Lunch was a huge salad, with lettuce, mixed chopped veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken breast, olives, avocado, pine nuts, and homemade cilantro/olive oil dressing. I had an apple with a little almond butter after my salad.

Dinner was lime-marinated chicken breasts with tomato-avocado salsa and collard greens cooked in olive oil and garlic. I had a small bowl of plain blueberries and a handful of cashews for dessert.

Felt great all day.

Tomorrow we both work out in the morning, so we have some Applegate farms Roast Beef/nuts for a quick pre-workout bite, a big batch of sweet potato and turkey hash for post-work-out (hopefully we made enough to last all week), and an egg, zucchini, and sausage fritata/bake for breakfast (again, hoping it will last all week).

The sausage is organic, has very few ingredients, and is completely whole30 compliant.

Looking forward to day 2!

As a side note, one of our personal goals on this 30 day voyage is to adopt a meditation practice. We did a bit last night, and will continue that this evening.

We had a great day 2. My schedule necessitated my having dinner out, and was fortunate for find myself at Spring Street Natural in NYC. I had grilled organic salmon with pesto served over roasted peppers and grilled squash.

Because we were starting from a pretty clean place, our day 3 is, so far, feeling great!

It's Day 7 for us.

We met some friends from out-of-town for brunch. Ordered a spinach-and-goat cheese omelet, hold the goat cheese, with a small side salad.

I had not thought about the fact that the restaurant would likely add milk to their eggs, especially for an omelet (I've never added milk to my own eggs when cooking them.) I suspect there was some dairy in there - especially because I now have gas, a stomach ache, and feel a little headache-y and woozy. My wife had the same meal, ergo the same issues.

Should we start our whole30 over?

After talking it over, we've decided to just forge ahead with the current whole30. Our reasoning is that 1) the probable dairy in the eggs was unintentional; it wasn't us "cheating" or making a decision to eat something off-plan 2) it was almost certainly a very small amount 3) it didn't lead to any other off-plan eating, cravings, or problems 4) we both felt so lousy that all it did was reaffirm our commitment to be dairy-free going forward (even beyond the 30 days)

So, we're keeping on keeping on.

So just a quick update:

My wife decided to restart her Whole30 today; she felt that she could do a better job throughout, and wanted a second run at it. I'm keeping on with mine, and feel like, with the exception of the omelet mentioned above, I've been really great on mine. I feel excellent and am so happy to be eating this way.

Here's the chicken recipe. We didn't use cooking spray, but I think otherwise it's 100% Whole30 compliant.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cilantro-lime-chicken-with-avocado-salsa-10000001886432/

@Mico - it's going ok. Most days I've made time for a bit here and there. I'm reading the book "Meditation Made Easy" by Lorin Roche. The tone of the book is a little silly for my taste, but I find his relaxed approach to meditation quite manageable and useful.

Day 13 - going strong, feeling great!

Continuing to make progress with the meditation, eating is swell - although I was oddly and unusually hungry yesterday evening post-dinner, so I did have a couple slices of Applegate Farms roast beef for, uh, dessert. Otherwise, steady as she goes!

Here's the chicken recipe. We didn't use cooking spray, but I think otherwise it's 100% Whole30 compliant.

http://www.myrecipes...10000001886432/

@Mico - it's going ok. Most days I've made time for a bit here and there. I'm reading the book "Meditation Made Easy" by Lorin Roche. The tone of the book is a little silly for my taste, but I find his relaxed approach to meditation quite manageable and useful.

Thanks Rosencrantz1

Archived