One week down :)

kedamak

Well I have successfully finished my first week of Whole30 and so far, so good. Generally speaking I feel better but the one thing I am noticing is a slump in energy in the afternoons and then a surge in energy in the evenings. The afternoon slump doesn't happen every day but it happens most days. The evening surge has been consistently happening though :) Not sure if the energy slump is part of my body detoxing or what but I don't like the way it feels at all.

My biggest struggle is getting in enough fat. I can't do avocado every day; after a few days my taste buds and stomach will have nothing to do with it and I end up nauseous. I'm on light coconut milk now, waiting for our Whole Foods to open up at the end of the month and while I'm enjoying it somehow drinking 1/2 to a whole can almost daily feels wrong to me. I do NOT like olives AT ALL but I am in the process of forcing myself to like them. I had 5 green olives with my supper tonight and that was about all I could handle. I'll keep at it though. I'm cooking in either olive or coconut oil so getting some fat there but beyond that not sure what else I can be doing.

My biggest win was throwing away a venti cup of my favorite Starbucks drink without taking a sip of it. My friend bought it for me but I could not bring myself to drink it. I only saw the damage it would do to me :) I also have managed to not run to chocolate despite multiple temptations this week. So overall it was a good first week. I travel next week and will be stalking this forum for tips on how to stay compliant while I travel. Thant's all for now. Thanks for reading my recap :)

As a suggestion on the fat,I take coconut oil,a tsp at a time before food.It's meant to be a good way to aid in digestion and a host of other things which I won't bore you with at the moment.

Try making your own clarified butter and cooking in that.If you are cooking with olive oil,be careful not to heat it too high as it makes the oil toxic.Also,combine olive oil and clarified butter for a great richness to sauces.

I can't imagine drinking canned coconut milk,I'm sure you do but if you don't,cook with it.I made an amazing thai chicken curry tonight,loaded with sweet potatoes and coconut milk.

All the best for the start of your new week..it's far better on week 2.

Sometimes I just grab a handful of macadamia nuts if I feel I'm short on fat with a meal.

I made Sunshine Sauce today -- plenty of good fat (sunflower seeds & coconut milk) and delicious! You can use it to dip raw veggies in, or pour it over cooked veggies, or do a chicken sate, or ... I'm not sure yet, because I just made it! But I'm sure there's a ton of ways to use it, and it's DELICIOUS. Similar to Thai peanut sauce.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

Archived