First timer! August 11th

myturn

I've been married for 18 years and have 5 kids.  I do all I can to support my hubbie and kids, now it's my turn to support myself and my health.  I'm suffering from PCOS, Type 2 Diabetes, severe IBS etc. etc.  I know diet is everything and it's time to make myself a priority and feel good.  I am 40 pounds heavier than I want to be and I get winded just climbing one flight of stairs.  Enough!  I can do this, I will do this!

In 2011 I followed the SCD Diet for 6 months (no sugar, grains, starches, and no dairy for me) under doctors orders.  I was able to follow it 100% for more than 180 days!  I have never felt better and I can't wait to get back to that!  I learned a few things following SCD: 1. Take it one day at a time  2.  Plan and prepare-always have legal food ready that you can grab on the go or when the cravings hit  3.  Become accountable to someone that you want to impress 4.  When you travel or plan to be away from home for several hours, pack your own food  5.  Find a "legal" food that feels like a treat-keep it on hand!

I post those tips to remind myself that this is possible and I have it in me to be successful.  Whole30 will be worth it!

I am starting my first time on 8/11 as well. I have been battling health issues, medications (that I now don't take) and weight gain for 7 years, recently getting worse again. I have issues with food already, then throwing in depression from all of this doesn't help! I am excited to get started with Whole 30, while admittedly a little nervous about sharing my cabinets with 4 other humans who may or may make these changes with me. The testimonials are very inspiring though so I'll be logging in every morning with my coffee!

Tomorrow for me too!   I'm excited to think that this will make me feel well, and have energy to care for me, as well as my disabled hubby, and three gorgeous grandchildren.  That is overcoming the fear that I might not be able to do it... Though why I should be afraid of eating good, real food is odd, I just don't want to slip back into the old habits that have made me overweight, full of inflammation and risking my health as an older person; I want my golden years to be golden, not grey ha-ha!   (though I am going grey naturally.......) :D

May we all meet our goals and achieve the best we can!

xx

I love that everyone who has posted so far is in it to feel better and be healthier!  Chrissie it is never too late to make changes and feel results!  I grocery shopped yesterday.  Today I will clean out my pantry and fill it will healthy stuff.  I am also planning to food prep - cook squash & sweet potatoes, rice cauliflower, roast chicken, menu plan, chop veggies, and create a safe zone in the fridge just for me.  I taught my family a lot of what I learned in the book and they have agreed to "loosely" follow the plan with me, we'll see how that works out!  I also ate everything in site yesterday and made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies, I'm thinking that probably wasn't the most mentally healthy approach to this.  Anybody else eating their "last supper"?

I was very tempted to do a 'last supper' but then I really only had a farewell piece of cheese to deal with as I have been preparing for this for a while.  There was a trifle in my husband's side of the fridge, but he would have noticed if I had snaffled that!   So here I am at work having had some roast chicken and 'medeterranian veg', roast in the oven with extrta oil - goodness that makes veggies more delicious, having 'forbidden' (in a past life) fat, and the drippings from the chicken soaked in too.   When I get in from work in the morning, I plan to have eggs with fried mushrooms and tomato, how hard is that! 

I, too, am in it for my health. I want to be able to live life to the fullest as I approach retirement. I am a teacher and will have a lively class of Grade 1/2's this school year and I want to keep up with them, so I know I will need optimum energy levels to deal with the job. I also am planning another Olympic distance triathlon next year and want to be able to complete it feeling great about myself! I am looking for inspiration and support on my journey and it looks like this is the place to find it!

Archived