Craig's Whole30 Log

Craig

Hi folks! My name is Craig and I'm a 41 yr old fat guy that is sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm about 50 pounds overweight (I'm 6'3"), I drink too much, I eat way too much crap, and I don't exercise enough. All sorts of aches, pains, and "stuff" have crept up on me the past few years. I feel like if I don't make some major changes to my health, Bad Things will soon happen. 

I quit smoking almost 1.5 years ago after being a full-time addict for over 25 years. I am very proud to say that I kicked that addiction's butt and never looked back.But, since quitting smoking I added 15-20 pounds to my frame and developed some unhealthy eating habits. I'm finally mad enough (at myself) to do something about it. I don't believe in diets, because they nearly always fail, but I was instantly intrigued when I learned about Paleo and then the Whole30. I've read the book, perused these forums, and now I'm ready to go! 

My goals for this Whole30 are: 

• Develop a healthier relationship with food and know exactly what I'm shoving down my pie hole. Understand the effects that food has on my well being.
  • Learn how to maximize my health through better nutrition. 
  • Kick start my weight loss plan (50 pounds!)
  • See if eating healthy will help clear up some slight eczema, aches and pains, acid reflux, and other minor health related issues. 
  • Motivate myself to incorporate exercise into my wellness plan. 

I weighed myself on the morning of Day 1...278 pounds. (Yikes! That's an all-time high.) I didn't take any other measurements but my clothes will tell me how I'm doing. I won't weigh in again until the month is done. Today is Day 3 for me.

NOTE: I welcome ALL feedback. I'm an advocate for tough love and I have thick skin. If you have something to say that is going to help me have a better Whole30 experience, bring it! :-)

Food Log so far:

Day 1 (Sunday, 10AUG2014)

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs w/ spinach, mushrooms, and onions. A couple of strawberries and a few grape tomatoes. 

Lunch: Big Ass Salad (all veggies) w/ grilled chicken. Olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. 

Dinner: Sukuma Wiki (Kenyan Braised Collard Greens and Ground Beef)

Day 2

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs w/ spinach, mushrooms, and onions. Banana.

Lunch: Big Ass Salad (all veggies) w/ grilled chicken. Olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. Small handful of sliced almonds.

Dinner: Country Style Pork Ribs, collard greens w/ onions, sweet potato. Small handful of sliced almonds.

Day 3

Breakfast: Sauteed collard greens (coconut oil) w/ onions, mushrooms, tomatoes. 3 hard boiled eggs. 

Lunch: Two grilled chicken drumsticks, plate full of veggies (carrots, tomato, bell pepper, radishes, green olives) with a splash of balsamic vinegar. 

Dinner: [EDIT to add dinner] This was supposed to be a shrimp stir-fry but both bags of the frozen shrimp I bought were open. Looks like when they heated the seams shut they missed a few spots. There's no telling what kind of cooties could have made its way into those bags. I happened to have some ground beef in the fridge so I used that for a stir-fry with onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Also made some baked butternut squash "fries". 

I look forward to getting to know you all and becoming an active part of this community. I'm excited about this new adventure and can't wait to see what happens. :-)

Welcome & good luck with your W30, hope all your goals come true :)

My tuppence worth is that I'm sure as a 6'3 big guy you can hold more than 3 eggs, unless you have freaky laydee hands :o;)

Thanks for the repsonse, Derval! LOL @ freaky laydee hands :-)

So...is 3 eggs not enough for breakfast? Too little protein? I've felt satisfied after eating my morning meals. I'm hungry by lunch time, but not starving. For the record, I've had to force myself to eat first thing in the morning. I usually skip breakfast...or at least put it off till I've been awake for 3-4 hours. 

If you have a look at the template a portion of protein is 1-2 palm sized pieces, or in the case of eggs as many as you can hold in your hand ( I can hold 3)

Well done on making the change & eating breakfast, once you get in to the swing of it you'll wake up looking fwd to it.

Archived