What do you wish you had done differently during your first Whole30?

jump4life

Hi-  I am not post Whole30 (yet) but I am hoping to learn from your collective experience before I get there! 

What do you wish you had done differently during your first Whole30?  

or  

What did you learn in your Whole30 that you had to relearn several time before it stuck as a long term lifestyle choice ?     

This questions came to mind yesterday b/c I did quite well maintaining compliance during a challenging day at work (pot luck breakfast, pot luck lunch, happy hour-  yes three bad food environment occasions in one day)    My internal mantra of "that's not Whole30, that's not Whole30" worked and I was really pleased with making it through the day!    

However this morning in retrospect I wished I had used the occasion  to think about my choices in a more personal way.  Something more like "nope I don't even want that pastry b/c I know the sugar high and low makes me feel gross at 10:00"   or "nope I really don't want that chicken wing with highly processed oils and sauce because I have a fabulous pork roast and lemon spinach on the menu at home tonight".    I think this would have better served me to lay down the foundation of "making it through" challenging food environments in the future,  when I don't have an active Whole30 going.  

So what situations did you face in your Whole 30 that, in retrospect,  you wished you would have thought about differently?

Thanks!

Hi - great questions. 

I wish I had taken "don't over think this" more to heart.  I wish I had just been calmer about it all.  Just eat simple foods.  Don't fret about it.  Don't fret about every single "symptom".  Some things aren't due to food.  Sometimes you just have a bad day.  Just go with it and see what happens.  It still a work in progress, but I'm getting better. 

I think an important thing to remember is that you won't change your thought processes in 30 days.  It takes a lot longer for new habits to stick and then to become part of you.  For now, remember the reasons you are doing W30.  Remember that you choose what you eat.  Over time, your thoughts will change.

Oh, and do reintros!  You just spent 30 days (or will have) getting ready to do reintros.  Don't waste the opportunity!

Good luck!

I wish I had taken "don't over think this" more to heart.  I wish I had just been calmer about it all.  Just eat simple foods.  Don't fret about it.  Don't fret about every single "symptom".  Some things aren't due to food.  Sometimes you just have a bad day.  Just go with it and see what happens.  It still a work in progress, but I'm getting better. 

I think an important thing to remember is that you won't change your thought processes in 30 days.  It takes a lot longer for new habits to stick and then to become part of you.  For now, remember the reasons you are doing W30.  Remember that you choose what you eat.  Over time, your thoughts will change.

Oh, and do reintros!  You just spent 30 days (or will have) getting ready to do reintros.  Don't waste the opportunity!

Good luck!

Thanks pjena!     I printed this out and put it on the back of my phone so I could remember your advice at just a glance.    

post-49013-0-97135100-1408535431_thumb.j

In golf there is a saying when you golf ball is in a sand trap "any out is a good out" it means get your ball out of the sand trap by any means possible. The same thing goes with the whole30 any compliant day on your whole30 is a good day. Don't beat yourself up if you eat some fruit instead of chocolate cake, or eat a tbs of almond butter right out of the jar. Are these the best choices? No, but they are still good.

Like Pjena said, keep it simple. Instead of looking for eye of newt and toe of bat to make some elaborate concoction, stir fry some ground meat and veggies with some salt and pepper. Quick, easy and so good even for breakfast or meal one. Good Luck!

I agree with Jen about keeping it simple.  Don't worry about constantly trying new recipes/foods.  Find something that works for you and go with it.  Also don't over worry about whether everything is pastured and organic.  Is it better?  Yes.  It is absolutely necessary? No.  This is a major change so first worry about eating steak that isn't marinated in teriyaki and then worry about where that steak came from.  Also don't beat yourself up over little things like Tina said.  Overeating fruit and nuts/nut butters, especially in the first week or two, is FINE.  I ate way too much in the nut department at first but now I eat them much much less.  As long as it's legal if it keeps you from eating something really bad, it's fine.

Finally I would say to really read EVERY SINGLE LABEL.  This tripped me up on my first Whole 30 when a week and a half in I realized that my spray olive oil had soy lecithin in it.  It never occurred to me to read the label on spray olive oil because what could possibly be in it besides olive oil?  Unless it's a fruit or vegetable or meat/nut that has no label, you have to read the label.  It will save you a bunch of heartbreak.

mcjule-  this saved me today!   I left my food bag at home (sad b/c it was post work out, breakfast and lunch!!) 

I grabbed a tuna pack (w/crackers and mayo, which i planned to throw away) and black coffee at a gas station.  The ingredients on the tuna on the outside of the whole pack looked compliant...  but ingredients were listed on the inside pack as well and said "contains soy"  ..

so whoever puts soy in olive oil is sprinkling it into tuna too!  

I ended up eating pistachios instead-  not perfect for after work out but at least compliant!   

Thanks!   

Archived