Day 20 - food sensitivities getting worse.

Hi everyone. I'm on day 20 and feeling pretty rough - quite shaky a lot of the time, and several times over the last week my throat has felt tight when I've eaten particular foods, I have a long history of allergies, and I have several food sensitivities as well, including wheat and dairy, which is partly what attracted me to the programme. But now I think I'm starting to react to a number of new things.

I've been allergic to aspirin since I was a child, and several of the things I seem to be reacting to this week are high in salicylate, according to the internet (broccoli, avocado, coconut, zucchini ... the list goes on), though none of them have bothered me in the past - maybe it's the sheer volume of high-salicylate food I'm eating because of upping my vegetable intake? I can try to stick to lower-salicylate foods, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else with allergies/sensitivities has developed problems from upping their vegetable intake? You'd think my body would appreciate eating more healthily!

I recently read this and want to pass it on to add to your growing knowledge base: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/10/what-is-salicylate-sensitivityintolerance.html

I also have this quote from her that sort of helps me understand that things can get worse if I don't take the time to let them get better:

As you pull out foods that you are sensitive to, the cells that help regulate immune reactions to those foods die off faster than the cells that are doing the reacting. There’s this weird in between phase, which can last up to a year, where you have even bigger reactions to those foods because the cells that are doing the reacting are still there, but the ones that would normally help keep the reaction relatively controlled aren’t. Focus on fat-soluble vitamins and lots and lots of sleep.

Archived