September 3rd Newbie!

lydibug

Hello everyone!  My name is Lydia and I'm ready to change my life through the Whole30 program.  I've never been a huge fan of "diets", but after research believe the Whole30 to be an attainable goal that will lead to a healthier lifestyle.

I plan to start on September 3rd as I'll be traveling home from the holiday weekend all day on the 2nd.

I graduated from college 4 years ago to a desk job, gained 40lbs, and have been yo-yo-ing ever since.  I'm hoping that the Whole30 plan will increase my energy, lighten my mood, cleanse my body of the trash I've been eating recently, cure some digestive issues I've been having, and strengthen my muscles and joints.

I go to yoga at 6a.m. every morning, work until 5:30, and volunteer Tuesday - Thursday until 8 p.m.  My main worry is that by the time I get home around 8:30, I'll be too tired to cook and ready for bed.  This is my current reason for eating poorly.  So, I'll need a lot of motivation and ideas for sticking to the plan!

I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum :)

Hi, Lydibug!

I was hoping to start the 3rd as well. You and I seem to be living similar lifestyles. I graduated 6 years ago to a desk job and have been yo-yo dieting my entire life :/. Our reasons for wanting to do the Whole 30 are the same as well and I honeslty believe it can do all of those things for us!!

Until December I was running a marathon or two a year and exercising 4-5 days a week. I was injured during my last marathon and haven't exercised consistently since. Finally getting back in to it :)

In regards to the being too tired to cook - that's always my issue, but spending a few hours one day/night a week to prep food helps a ton and will probably be the only way to go for us on our Whole30.

We should be Whole30 buddies! Check in with each other daily. Share recipes, success, and gripes ;) Maybe have a forum discussion on here that we can write in daily or exchange emails and keep in touch? I think it will be a lot easier with a buddy! Let me know what you think.

Here's to an exciting 30 days ahead of us!! :)

Emily

Hi Emily!

That sounds like a great idea.  I've already started collecting high quality olive oils, balsamic vinegars, and ghee that I can keep in my pantry for marinating and sautéing my vegetables.

I'm glad someone else is starting on the 3rd.  Let's figure out a way to check in with each other daily starting next Wednesday.  It looks like they might have some kind of messenger / internal email on here.  Might try that out.

Lydia 

Hi ladies.  I am starting my Whole 30 on the 8th.  I had originally planned for the 2nd, but now I am moving the weekend of the 6 and fear the transition will make it hard for me to stick to the plan.  I think I have the best chance for success if I start once I have moved into my new place. 

Since we are starting within a week of each other, we can still support!  My lifestyle sounds very similar.  I am busy busy busy! I work full time, and I am also a full time masters student.  I volunteer on the board for my local farmers market.  I live with my boyfriend, who will not be participating.  I do have a friend locally who will be doing it with me.  I know I need a lot of people around to be accountable!

Hi!!

Yes, I think that will work great. As long as we're all within a few days of eachother we'll be able to support through the different phases of the program. I think it's good you're waiting until after moving - that can be stressful and make planning meals difficult. Good luck on the move!

Jealous you have a local friend doing it with you - I have tried to get friends on board but noone wants to make that kind of commitment. So happy we have this forum for support!

Lydia and I talked about having a private chat going through the program and also have the public food logs or a joint food log on the forum. Let us know your thoughts :)

Looking forward to this journey!

Have a great day!

Emily

Yes, please join us.  We would love to support you.  I wish I could make my messages more thorough, but I usually log on here as soon as I get to work and don't want to spend too much time.  Good luck with your move!  I've been moving around a lot myself the past few years.  Perhaps we can use this as our main forum?

Using this as our main forum works for me!

I got home last night so am using today as a mini intro to our Whole30 :) Eating only Whole30 compliant and will plan on a real start with foodlog, etc. tomorrow. Do we want to include our daily foodlogs in here also?

Yesterday, I went shopping and got LOTS of eggs, LOTS of tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, bell peppers, avocado, mushrooms, kombucha, adelle's chicken apple sausage, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, and spices. Today I will be doing Whole30 compliants meats and more fruits and veggies.

I'm not one to do a lot of cooking, so I will probably be taking the 'less is more' approach and keeping alot of my meals fairly basic.

This morning's breakfast: banana, three eggs, and a small salad with spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes. YUM! Very full, but in a good way.

:)

Emily

Hi Ladies!

Congrats on your decision to do the Whole30!  I just finished mine at the end of August and had great results.  I am keeping the W30 going in order to completely great rid of all of my food sensitivity symptoms.  I already feel so much better!

If you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend getting Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks as well as the Nom Nom Paleo app.  Melissa lays out how to set up your week of meals in a very easy way.  Unfortunately I did not follow her advice and attempted making a different recipe every night.  I ate well and comliant but spent a lot of time in the kitchen!  I am doing it the Well Fed way now and saving the recipe experiments for the weekend!

Emily Rose, I noticed that your breakfast did not include any fat.  That is super important for keeping you going from meal to meal.   Get a bag of avocados and let them all ripen at once.  I have a whole avocado almost every day.

Ladies be sure that you are following the meal template exactly.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Good luck on your W30!

Thank you so much for your advice, Hols1.  I'll definitely look into those Well Fed books.  Based on all the food prep I did last night and this morning, then packing my lunch I can see how this will be very time consuming (and money eating), if I don't follow some sort of planning guidelines.  So glad to hear your Whole30 has made you feel great!

Hi, Shannon! I've been out of town without access to a computer for a few days. But I'm back! Did you start on Friday? If so, how's it going? I haven't heard from Lydia or UtopianFir for a while, so I am going to do some digging and see if they're posting elsewhere.

Hols1, I have been keeping a seperate log for food and Whole30 details in a seperate post title "September 3 Start - Eating Log" if you'd like to come see what I've been up to ;). It's easier for me to scroll back through and see my daily food intake, etc.

Hi, Shannon. Well, I guess if you're going to have to start over due to a sugar craving, it's better to have to start over on day 1! :) Glad to hear you've been doing well since. Are you keeping a food log? I've foudn that's really helpful. And also, checking in on here a few times a day to read/comment on other topics keeps you thinking Whole30 and keeps you on track :)

There are a lot of good recipes in the Whole30 book 'It Starts with Food" - do you have it? The NomNomPaleo app is also helpful for recipes. See websites below that I have read/utilized...

http://www.katrina-runs.com/30-whole-30-recipes

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/03/30-whole30-friendly-recipes/

http://www.lifemadefull.com/2014/01/02/40-simple-whole30-recipes/

http://hollywouldifshecould.net/2012/08/a-month-of-whole-30-dinner-ideas/

http://www.lifemadefull.com/2012/01/04/easy-snack-ideas/

Hope these help :)

Hello everyone!  I'm still alive!  I've just been so busy buying healthy groceries and cooking that I haven't had time to get online.  I've been enjoying lots of egg dishes for breakfast, and lots of yummy dinners including guacamole chicken, seared salmon with avocado and mango salad, and Moroccan Meatballs (can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!).  I felt really groggy and lethargic around day 5, but that was temporary.  I've been trying to avoid the Larabars, but was running around doing errands after work one night and didn't get home until 10 p.m.  I was not very hungry and very tired plus hadn't eaten dinner, so I had the Larabar and went to bed.  Not ideal, but at least included all compliant ingredients.  Yesterday I was able to hold a certain balancing pose in yoga for the first time without a block for support!  I'm also feeling stronger when doing planks.  Still feel like my body is adjusting to the hormonal changes from new foods, but can't wait to see how much stronger I can get!

Hi, Lydia!

Good to hear you're doing well! I had a few days of major grogginess as well, but feeling great today! Sounds like you're noticing a difference in strength and energy as well. That's great! Any major cravings that you've had trouble with? this past weekend was hard as I had a few different parties/events to go to that were ALL food and drink. But I refrained and it felt good :)

I have definitely given in to the larabars. I need to just not buy. I'm not eating them as a sugar cravings, more as a mindless snack before or after a meal while I'm preparing or if I get a hunger pang in between meals. Which is not good! So I need to avoid them :/ I'm learning haha.

The food you've been eating sounds great! I've kept it really simple so far but hoping I can find the time soon to actually make some of the recepies I've saved that look delicious.

Good to hear from you, glad things are going well! Here's to days 7-14! :)

Emily

Hi, Shannon! I've been out of town without access to a computer for a few days. But I'm back! Did you start on Friday? If so, how's it going? I haven't heard from Lydia or UtopianFir for a while, so I am going to do some digging and see if they're posting elsewhere.

Hols1, I have been keeping a seperate log for food and Whole30 details in a seperate post title "September 3 Start - Eating Log" if you'd like to come see what I've been up to ;). It's easier for me to scroll back through and see my daily food intake, etc.

Hello everyone!  I'm still alive!  I've just been so busy buying healthy groceries and cooking that I haven't had time to get online.  I've been enjoying lots of egg dishes for breakfast, and lots of yummy dinners including guacamole chicken, seared salmon with avocado and mango salad, and Moroccan Meatballs (can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!).  I felt really groggy and lethargic around day 5, but that was temporary.  I've been trying to avoid the Larabars, but was running around doing errands after work one night and didn't get home until 10 p.m.  I was not very hungry and very tired plus hadn't eaten dinner, so I had the Larabar and went to bed.  Not ideal, but at least included all compliant ingredients.  Yesterday I was able to hold a certain balancing pose in yoga for the first time without a block for support!  I'm also feeling stronger when doing planks.  Still feel like my body is adjusting to the hormonal changes from new foods, but can't wait to see how much stronger I can get!

Ladies,

Good job and congrats on making it to Day 9!  Keep in mind that withdrawal symptoms may continue for a few weeks or longer if you aren't 100% compliant.  Ahem, Lara Bars are pure sugar bombs!  I made the mistake of eating them a few times during the first couple of weeks and it definitely delayed my healing.  Plan ahead and have a snack with you that includes, protein, veggies and a fat.  A hunk of chicken, some snap peas and carrots and some nuts would be perfect.  Go girls!

Just checking in, I'm still here and still going strong(ish). I almost gave into a craving for pumpkin pie tonight, but I just had some tea and made pumpkin larabars instead. The past few days have been stressful and food is my coping mechanism of choice. I knew that before, but I didn't realize just how ingrained that form of comfort is for me. It's almost mindless you know?

How is everyone else doing? Are you starting to feel the benefits yet? My pants are a bit looser in the waist (awesome!) and my sleep has been great for the most part.

Hi, Shannon!

Good for you for not giving in! Tell me more about these pumpkin larabars? Sounds amazing! As long as we're not using them as a replacement for sugar cravings :)

So have you found yourself wanting to snack more because of the recent stress? Hope you've been able to stay strong! I know exactly where you're coming from and that is one of the main reasons I'm doing this Whole30 - need to break some bad habits and dependance on food.

Things are going well for me! On Day10 and finally feeling really great! It was up and down there for the first week but seeing, and feeling, some results! Sleeping better, more energy (especially in the morning), more consistent moods, flat (er) stomach, and clothes fitting better. Motivation to keep going strong!  

Have a great weekend!!

Emily

The recipe is from the blog bendiful. They were good, but too sweet for my tastebuds. I may try them again but try cutting the dates

I'm finishing up day 7 and I feel like maybe I'm on the upswing. The past few days have been hard but I got through them without sabotaging myself. Lack of energy has been kicking my butt, but it sounds like that is only temporary. Thank you for sharing how you're feeling. It's helpful to have someone a few days ahead of me being so positive.

Hi, Shannon.

How are things going? You're on Day 14, correct? I'm on Day 17 and feel great! Still have some energy level ups and downs, but I just feel healthy, hard to describe it any other way. I have had a few bumps though - last night being one of them. Staying on track with Whole30 approved foods but I've always had an issue with mindless/overeating and have had a few 'relapses' in the last 17 days. But that's ok, this is a learning experience, right? And being able to acknowledge it is half the battle :)

Hope you're doing well!!

Emily

Archived