Wedding guest...beef, chicken or salmon best choice?

karen_dms

This question occurred to me and I don't know the answer...say you're invited to a typical fancy banquet hall wedding or other catered event with a sit down dinner. You're asked, "Beef, chicken or fish?" Chances are, the chicken is not pastured, the beef is not grass-fed, and the salmon is farmed. Which would be the best choice? I'm curious. 

I've found at catered events, the protein is usually marinated or sauced; fish and beef often have a soy-based sauce, chicken often dairy/cream-based. If I am not doing a whole30, I would ask how each is prepared and choose the one with the least problematic sauce, accepting that all three would be factory-farmed/less than ideal. Occasionally they can give you the protein without, but often it's been sauced in a pan already, so it is really helpful to contact the caterer in advance if you have a special dietary need (like a current whole30) that can not be compromised.

If you are at an unusual occasion where the proteins are all available without additives, I would choose beef first, then salmon, then chicken.

Archived