Whole30 With Friends!

louannarose

Just made stir-fry"rice". It is delicious, but a lot more work than dumping a cup of rice into a pot of chicken stock :-)

I have a few W30-compliant finds. BJ club has a bacon ($10/20oz) no sugar or nitrates... and cut from pigs that danced all the way to the slaughterhouse :-D. Costco has a boxed (not canned), fully organic, totally compliant chicken broth. It is their name brand KIRKLAND organic stock. Whole Foods has a Mayo that fits specs. I didn't purchase it because I didn't know if Xanthan Gum was allowed and it was too expensive to take a chance. But I checked he forum and it is ok so I will get it and let you know the name and if it is any good. I am not a big mayo user, but it may be a nice way to dres up a salad.

Well day 5 is almost done and I still love the program. I may have to take out a second mortgage to pay off Whole Foods, and opening my fridge is becomng a precarious ordeal with all the fresh veggies and prepped foods I keep stockpiling, but I think week 2 will be easier because of all the set-up I have done.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5. I had good energy all day today, no cravings worth mentioning. I really tried hard to justify a trip to Chipotle, but careful investigation revealed that they use rice bran oil and sunflower oil in their food. 

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

I sent them an email and said hey, lots of people do the Whole30, if you switched to coconut and olive oil pretty much your whole menu would become compliant and you would make a lot of people really happy. They said half their office just completed the Whole30 and they would pass the info on to the right person! 

If you haven't been to Chipotle yet, you must go 10/1!

I painted my new home office today, by myself, I worked on it from 2:30-8pm. Normally I am beat by 3 and in bed by 8:00pm. So I am getting unusual energy from somewhere. :) !!!

I'm eating every 3 hours or so. Had to go to three different grocery stores before I found the crown jewel of the Whole30, a perfectly ripe avocado.

I know smoothies are off the Whole30, but they didn't say NO, so I made one today. I put 1 date, 1.5 cups spinach, a blob of coconut milk, 1/4 of that perfect avocado, a little water in it and a couple drops of vanilla extract in it.  I ate a slab of steak with it. But I was hungry again in an hour. So it didn't work. Maybe not enough avocado, or maybe they are just right - liquid food is not the same as solid food. 

I'm going to make a batch of that cauliflower fried rice from Nom Nom Paleo on Monday, but you're right it takes forever to make. But it's worth it! That book can be downloaded to the ipad or whatever, I recommend it.  I think that's also where I learned to make an amazing pulled pork shoulder. Yum. There is a chicken gravy recipe in there, too, which I have tried several times with no success yet. 

I had the headache Wednesday and Thursday, so I had an asymptomatic weekend. I have not yet had an energy surge, but I am not fighting any gravings either, so I am happy with the program. I made the pulled pork - delicious, but next time I will cut the salt a bit. The recipe makes a ton so I froze half for later. Even half has been part of 3 meals for 3 people and its not all gone yet! As I posted earlier, I found compliant bacon at BJ's for $8/lb.

The problem with perfect avocados is that they go from perfect to garbage in about 20 minutes! I found an article on freezing them and IT WORKS!!!! I peel the avocado, cut in quarters, rub the surfaces with lemon juice, then freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are solid I put them into a ziploc bag. To defrost, I either put it on my salad early, or if time is short, pop a piece in a small ziploc and submerge in cool tap water for 15-20 mins. While as with all veggies "fresh is best" but now I can purchase several when the price is right.

With week1 coming to an end I am enjoying the program more and more. I have decided not to even try eating out for a while, but I welcome suggestions for later.

Just ate my first "emergency meal" - I'm glad I prepared it. I read somewhere to create two or three emergency meals for those times when (believe it or not) there is no food in the house. 

So I just ate the last of the romaine, 1/2 a bag of tunafish, and a handful of olives. It was not my favorite thing to eat, but it will get me through, and I was really relieved when I remembered the tuna was there.

My moods are still all over the map, but all of you know me, so I'm not sure I can contribute that to the food. 

I have had more energy though, for sure. 

My cravings have not been too bad - nothing like the first few days.

As for avocados, we go through about two a day on average, so using them within their 20 minute peak is not a problem. Finding them ripe when needed is a problem. It also works to let them ripen on the counter, then when they begin to soften throw them in the fridge till needed. They'll last days in there like that with no loss of flavor/texture. 

Guac makes everything better. I'm trying to achieve Chili's tableside guac, but no success so far, I think they are using special salt, I'll have to ask next time. 

They put tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and salt as far as I remember. 

After about the third day I started writing on my calendar, "I got healthier today!" - a little extra motivation, in case I didn't actually feel like it, I know it is actually happening inside.

We are going away for parts of 5 days the middle of September. I am trying to figure out how to handle it. I want to stick to this as best as possible, but I don't want to stress it, since reducing stress on my body is one my reasons for doing this in the first place.  I'll prep and pack stuff, etc, but I think I'll give when it comes to the oils and spices stuff is cooked in. ? I eat 5 or 6x/day. I can't imagine dictating my dietary needs that often for 4 days straight. 

I am going to research the area before we go and see if I can find a healthy little place nearby, there are more and more of those cropping up.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread for the new week so we don't have to dig for this one. Any thoughts? 

After I ate the salad w/ tuna, I went to the grocery store. When I got there I realized that my cravings were worse than they had been since day 3. 

I was still hungry, so I got some dry roasted, salted almonds, which didn't bother me before (from WF). 

The almonds made me feel steadily worse, but I kept eating them so as not to buy cookies. 

Here's the point - just that tiny bit of sugar in the balsamic vinegar kicked over serious cravings. 

I should have squeezed a lemon over the salad instead of that. 

Also, the more nuts I eat the worse I feel. 

This diet helps to make it clear when something you eat makes you feel like crap. 

• Moderators

I'm thinking of starting a new thread for the new week so we don't have to dig for this one. Any thoughts? 

I know I don't belong to this group, but thought I'd mention, in case you didn't realize -- if you're on a computer looking at the forum, when the list of topics comes up, you'll notice a blue dot or blue star next to certain threads. A star just means you posted in that topic, a dot means you didn't post there. If you hover over that blue dot or star, you'll see that it says go to first unread post. If you click that blue dot or star, it'll take you right to the first new post you haven't read yet in that topic.

Like this:

0000.png

Hope that makes it easier for you to keep up with posts without having to wade through days' worth of stuff you've already read.

See, it doesn't have to be rancid grease-soaked chemically flavored buttered stale popcorn, sugar and soda that cost $20 to enjoy a movie!

I was, in fact, lamenting.

My standard movie fare is a cherry Coke and Popcorn, and I generally call it a 'treat'. I certainly don't eat that way every day. But I survived.  ;)

The salted almonds worked rather well as an alternative. However, they are massively more calorie dense than popcorn, so its hard to make the last. 

Hello,

first of all I need help to find a shoet cut to get back to this forum. It took me 20 mins, ugh!!! Anyways, I think the sugar cravings are gone, bu5 I still want carbs. Still tired, and constantly scanning the fridge. Bad, bad, bad, but I drank some skim milk when I thought my sugar was getting low. That's probably the worst "cheat" though, not too bad.

Hello,

first of all I need help to find a shoet cut to get back to this forum. It took me 20 mins, ugh!!! Anyways, I think the sugar cravings are gone, bu5 I still want carbs. Still tired, and constantly scanning the fridge. Bad, bad, bad, but I drank some skim milk when I thought my sugar was getting low. That's probably the worst "cheat" though, not too bad.

Twila, try bookmarking it when you get there or you can search "Whole30 with Friends"

Also try eating high carb veggies with every meal, potatoes, carrots, squashes, in addition to the greener lower carb veggies. 

As for scanning the fridge, try eating more fat w/ every meal - avocados, olives & coconut whatever. 

I eat a small meal 5 or 6 times per day or I would be looking for food constantly. Fruit and nuts has been my hold-over till I can eat again - also easy to take with me. I don't think nuts make me feel good, though, but ? I have to eat something at this point.

I want to text more, later. I hope I can find my way back here! Anyways, loulou, yes, I ate a cashew that was "honey" and felt horrible soon after. I hadn't realized it was "honey" till I popped it in my mouth and chewed it. It was the sugar that must have kicked my butt. ....I unfortunately have also found myself eating quickly and larger portions as I look for food cause I think I am "starving" lol. I am beginning to hate salad and the thought of "making it" myself.

I have been thinking to myself since I woke up, if I quit, it will be today. 

I remembered reading in the timeline last time that lots of people quit around the same days - sure enough, it's day 10 and 11. 

Here's the "What to Expect" timeline.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

So it's nice to know I'm right on track. 

Sigh.

Hope the rest follows through as neatly.

Twila as I've read it somewhere our meals should be generally 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% veggies. I am sick of salad, too. I am sick of all of it today for sure. 

Twila you're also on the go constantly, you have to be "on" every minute of your waking day - you need good carbs to fuel that, probably more than the rest of us. There is a recipe I love for roasted butternut squash with fennel. Its one of my favorite high-carb things to eat. It's in a cookbook that I don't have right now but basically you cube the squash into 1/2" cubes or so, and slice the fennel thin, toss it all with salt, pepper and melted coconut oil, then spread it out on a cookie sheet, leaving a little space between everything, and bake it uncovered at about 375 for about 35 minutes, or till it's browning. It's wonderful.  I fry up the leftovers in coconut oil in the morning and eat it with eggs for breakfast. Finding wonderful things to eat is key to sustaining this way of eating I think.

Here's the book: 

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410358460&sr=8-1&keywords=practical+paleo

It's totally worth it to own because it is truly practical. Some of the other paleo cook books can be exotic. That one has down to earth, every day food. It also has a couple recipes for "porridge" like things - a replacement for oatmeal or cream of wheat or some other warm cereal like that - it's a life saving recipe to have when you're hungry at 9 or 10pm, or you must have "comfort" food. 

That book also has very good information in the beginning before the recipes even start. 

Hello,

Twila,

A note on your milk 'cheat'.

First, if you really get into a blood sugar issue, try to avoid taking it in a form that is known to cause problems. Grabbing a piece of candy or even a small spoonful of coconut sugar might better idea here than turning to dairy.

One of the goals with the Whole 30 is to find out if you feel better without milk in your life. Once you've had dairy, keep in mind that it could take between four hours to four days for the milk proteins to clear your system, depending on your intolerance. This means that if ridding your body of dairy actually makes you feel better, you might not be feeling that for up to another four days.

The irony here is that the more intolerant you are, the longer it stays in your system because your body has a hard time digesting it. :/

As a side note for after the diet, if you decide that dairy belongs in your life, then the higher the fat, the better. The problem with skim milk is that once you've removed the fat, it leaves more room for the sugary liquid, so a cup of skim milk actually contains more sugar than a cup of whole milk. Also, the fat in the milk will help to slow down the sugar processing so that you don't get such an aggressive sugar rush.

One thing I love about this diet is that its not a 'salad' diet at all. Don't get me wrong. I like salads, I do. But I don't like them more than once per day, so I like to find other ways to consume my veggies.

Breakfast: Veggie omelette w/ chicken sausage and 1/2 avocado.

Lunch (at ESPN four days a week): Usually a piece of meat off the grill (salmon or chicken, usually) and steamed and/or roasted veggies from the counters. A half cup of black olives from the salad bar.

The other days I usually eat dinner leftovers.

Snack: Handful of nuts (mostly hazelnuts and macademias) and a piece of fruit

If still hungry, sometimes I have a salad from the salad bar.

Dinner: Whatever Lou has prepared for home. Sometimes something fresh, sometimes leftovers. Sometimes I get a salad, other times its more steamed or roasted veggies.

I know I don't belong to this group, but thought I'd mention, in case you didn't realize -- if you're on a computer looking at the forum, when the list of topics comes up, you'll notice a blue dot or blue star next to certain threads. A star just means you posted in that topic, a dot means you didn't post there. If you hover over that blue dot or star, you'll see that it says go to first unread post. If you click that blue dot or star, it'll take you right to the first new post you haven't read yet in that topic.

Thanks for the input. I am not as techno-savvy as I would like to be, so navigating a forum is new to me.

Hey guys, sorry to be away so long, but I have house-guests this week and my schedule has been a whirlwind. So much to say about my week, my up-comming challenge, and the comments you have been posting.

To start, I am very much on track (YEA!) - and that is a minor miracle in my book. I feel like the emphasis of a commitment to absolute integrity for a specific period of time really resonated with me right from the start. Previous eating regimes always felt like a life-time commitment which at the first intense craving felt impossible to keep. W30 feels more like an adventure than a diet... but then this is my first time, and I am new to the whole PALEO movement, so my zeal is understandable in that context. AND I still have 20 days to go, so we will see if it holds up. Actually, my cravings have been minimal - especially when Louanna announced that ALL POTATOES were compliant!!!! While I stick to sweet potatoes and squash as my primary carb sources, a baked Idaho with steak brought sheer joy to my tummy...(cheesecake would not have been half as much fun). I have the advantage of LOVING to cook, and I use it as my creative outlet, so working out new and wonderful ways of preparing common foods has been fun rather than a drag. We eat very little salad, and when we do, I try to combine a few ingredients with a lot of flavor. I have gotten into "plating" meals - even when it is only for me. Another trick I have used for years is I always eat on small plates. These two strategies combine to "trick" the brain to transforming EATING into DINING. Think about it...restaurants do this all the time.

My energy has been incredible! Now, that could be because I have guests - I have always been able to rally to a task - so I will see if this surge holds when they all head home this Saturday.

So that is my progress thus far. Now the challenge - We are invited to a 50th anniversary party for dear friends. I had decided to try to avoid restaurants and food-centered social engagements for the month, but this one is a must-attend. I am already workng on my resolve to stay compliant. It is on the 27th and that is soooo close to the end that I can't bear the thought of blowing it. I am pulling out all my old WW strategies (ex. Wear tight clothing, Don't go hungry, bring emergency safe snacks, keep drinking water, etc) but any additional tips and advice would be more than welcome.

Okay, this post is a record for me, length-wise, but I had a lot of catching-up to do. Thanks for the support, it REALLY helps!!!

Archived