Tournament this weekend. Any suggestions for eating during the day?

jonny

Hey all,

This weekend I am playing in a two-day volleyball tournament. I will be on day 13 and 14 of my first Whole30 and I would appreciate an suggestions for eating throughout the day. 

Generally the format for these tournaments is pool play starting at 9:00 with a 1hr-1.5 hr break for lunch around 12:00 followed by tournament play which can last until 7 pm. During pool play we will play 2 games against each team which last about 45 min per match. Sometimes you get a break between matches during pool play but it's pretty common to play one of the matches back to back. After lunch we just play matches with a short break of 10-45 min between until we win. :)

I'm on day 8 today. I feel good when I'm not working out but I still am experiencing low energy during my volleyball training sessions and when I run. I know this will pass but as everyone knows it's a bit of a crap shoot as to when. 

in general I've been upping my intake of starchy vegetables during my 3 main meals. Dinner before the tournaments and for breakfast I was planning on having a pretty big protein and starchy veg meal with regular portion of fats. I have to drive an hour to where the tournament is played so I'll probably have about 2 hours between when I eat breakfast and when pool play starts. I was planning on eating a couple hard boiled eggs and avocado for the "pre-workout" meal but I'm not sure how to manage the rest of the day. 

I would really appreciate your suggestions. 

Thanks!

Jon

So it sounds like you are planning to eat your first meal around 7am correct? I would make it a big one and that far before workout probably ok to include starchy vegetable. You probably won't need the initial pre-workout meal but I think bringing a very large compliant lunch and a lot of protein/fat snacks to have between matches will probably do you well through out the day. Have your meal 3 with lots of starchy vegetables. This is what I would probably do but others might chime in. 

Thanks Physibeth. So starchy veggies day before or a couple of hours before athletic activity and after. Focus on protein and fat for lunch and mid day snacks.

I am planning on bringing some Applegate sliced turkey, hardboiled eggs, and nuts for snacks. My lunch was going to be a big portion of chicken salad with avocado and some veggies. 

I appreciate the feedback.

Jon

Double check your sliced turkey. I've looked at that brand and every time I see carrageenan in the ingredients list. 

On additional thought, you might want to have a couple of carb sources on hand just in case you experience a blood sugar drop. Better to be prepared with compliant sources of that instead of having an emergency and getting something not compliant fed to you. 

Archived