Grass Fed vs grain fed with soy and corn

Rncushing

So in OKLA right now we are having major drought. Our local farmers are having to use grain - which included soy and corn. One of them are able to grass feed/finish their cattle but their poultry is fed grain mixture that has corn and soy. They are all pastured/free range, no hormones or antibiotics.

It this kind of meat okay. I dont really want to order meat online, I would rather buy locally. Are there otehr questions I should ask?

I am new to all this - on Day 13 of Whole30 and doing great and loving it!

Honestly, I say no and here's why. I bought a rotisserie chicken this past Saturday. I didn't pay attention to the label of who the bird was made by until it was too late . It was a Perdue chicken and I know for a fact they use grain/corn to feed with. I felt terrible all that night and most of Sunday. I'm sure others more experienced than I will let you know what to do but your stomach/intestines will thank you later if you don't eat that kind of meat. :)

Yes, it is okay, unless you suffer from SERIOUS allergies. You know the farmer, you've met the cows, you know their practices. It's not the PERFECT cut of beef, but you're 90% there. It's better than feed lot meat for you and better for the local farming economy.

So in OKLA right now we are having major drought. Our local farmers are having to use grain - which included soy and corn. One of them are able to grass feed/finish their cattle but their poultry is fed grain mixture that has corn and soy. They are all pastured/free range, no hormones or antibiotics.

It this kind of meat okay. I dont really want to order meat online, I would rather buy locally. Are there otehr questions I should ask?

I am new to all this - on Day 13 of Whole30 and doing great and loving it!

I hear you loud and clear. I also live in Oklahoma and understand. You can still find beef in the area that is fully grass-fed but the prices are high. I talked to a lady yesterday who had a 1/4 left (Grownlocal OK - between Wagoner and Chouteau) and it was about $550. I did end up going with a guy that still has 2 1/2 head left that grass feeds his cattle until the last month or so and then grain feeds them for marbling. He uses no antibiotics, no fertilizers. He did tell me that beef prices are about to go through the roof due to the drought and that the cattle are smaller than last year. He is a great, honest guy. His price was approx. $830 for 1/2. Feel free to message me if you are interested in his information or the other person's. I'd be happy to share.

Archived