Eggs

cindys

I just found out that the eggs I have been using in my smoothies are from hens who are fed "grain which is composed of organic corn, organic soybean, organic linseed, and organic flax seed. It's also free of pesticides and herbicides."

Have I corrupted my Whole30 diet ?

Smoothies are not encouraged on the whole30. This is actually the bigger problem...your eggs are compliant, although it is better if you can find some pastured eggs.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.lZTjrNY6.dpuf

• 1 month later...

I was shopping for eggs and noticed my local grocer carries grain fed eggs or vegetable fed eggs. I'm assuming the veggie fed ones are the go to option, correct?

Are you sure they say "vegetable fed" not "vegetarian"? I do see eggs advertised as being fed vegetarian (grain) feed fairly frequently. I've never seen one that says they were fed vegetables. If it is true, I would go for that. Chicken do like garden scraps quite a bit, so that would be great. Here's hoping they are also free to supplement with bugs and worms and walk around the barn yard a bit.

Archived