Starting October 1st

AshChristensen

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Holland you can get almost everything you want and need. Never searched for coconut amino, wouldn't know what to do with it :)

I adjust recepies I know to something that is #Whole30 approved, or try recepies I find on websites.

i found an organic juice of apple! i'm so glad! i think it's not good to have it every time, right? I've read you eat snacks? can you tell me more about it please? 

have a great weekend! 

so weekend is full with BBQ and that simplifies meals!

I went to the organic fair and found cocnut oil and apple juice with nothing added to it! so I'm very glad. 

one question: does anyone know if mustard dressing powdered is allowed?? ingredients says it only has mustard powder.....

have a great weekend!! 

Here's our food from yesterday... Breakfast: compliant bacon and sweet potato hash, Lunch: leftover zucchini and meatballs, Dinner: burger patties with organic mustard and oven roasted sweet potatoes (I need to move away from the sweet potatoes... typing that too much lately!)

Today's food plan... Breakfast: compliant bacon and an apple, Lunch: leftover burger and a salad, Dinner: steak, baked potato (with ghee) and sauteed green beans

Tonight we are having a family dinner at my parents'... our first whole 30 meal not being cooked at home. My mom is semi supportive but the rest of my family is not. Fingers crossed that tonight goes well!!

My energy is improving still, clothes are fitting better and better, but I'm still getting pretty tired by 8 pm. I do feel like I'm sleeping more soundly at night so hopefully the evening lag will disappear soon.

For this coming week I'm hoping to expand out veggie menu with some butternut squash soup, sauteed spinach, and roasted or braised carrots.

How are you all doing on exercise? I have been walking more but don't feel like I'm doing enough... just don't have the time to "workout" right now it seems.

Ok, for all those of you who are getting bored....time to try a new vegetable! Have you ever made butternut squash fries? Or cauliflower rice? How about roasted broccoli with garlic and fresh lemon juice? Have you ever tried rutabaga?

Or make some new sauce - sunshine sauce from the "clothes make the girl" blog is delicious with chicken and any kind of vegetable - I love to use broccoli, carrots, red peppers, pea pods with chicken and then I serve it over rutabaga rice.

Try something new this weekend!

Done!

Although I did try spaghetti squash this week which I'd never eaten before.. but I ate it with a dish I always make so I guess it made it a bit ordinary.

Going grocery shopping today so I need to come up with some good food ideas for the week. I also need to make some compliant sauces!

Today my hubby asked me if I feel any better yet. This is hard to answer - I feel better doing this than any other "diet" I've tried, have little hunger or craving issues and have energy without my usual diet pop, so that's great! But as of yet I haven't hit the "magic" they speak of, although I do feel pretty good, except tired early in the evenings like mom2knb talked about. HOWEVER, tonight I decided to go for a run. I haven't run except once or twice in the past 2-3 months and usually when I do I'm begging myself to make it a half mile before walking. Tonight, though, I started out and felt great - ran 3 miles without having to convince myself to keep going. It felt good! I smiled the whole way and thought, "THIS is what I was waiting for!!" Very encouraging to me to be able to do that - just proves that my body gives me back what I give it!! YEA!

Does anybody recognize itself in this description? It's from the whole30 timline:

Days 12-15: Boundless energy! Now give me a damn Twinkie.

Hurray! The slump is over! Your pants fit again! Your energy levels are better than normal – you’re downright Tigger the bouncing tiger! But something weird is happening. You’re dreaming. Not crazy nightmare or strange surrealist dreams, either. Incredibly normal and realistic dreams – about donuts. Or Twinkies. Or Snickers.* In your mind, sometimes you get caught and feel guilty. Sometimes you just brazenly eat the contraband. But then, the feelings start following you into the waking hours. Suddenly, you’re craving things you don’t even like. (For me, it’s Diet Coke and Twinkies, for Melissa Hartwig, it was fast-food cheeseburgers!) Your co-workers’ heads transform into giant Girl Scout Cookies as you gaze on in disbelief. Seriously, you’ve almost hit the halfway mark, and now this?!

All joking aside, though, this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings.

The only dream I've had was the night before I started my whole30, I was still on pain meds for my shoulders, and I had to take thos with some food to protect my stomach. I dreamt that I had a big bowl of yogurt with cereal so I could take my pills. Then realizing that I just ruined my first day of the whole30. 

I'm still waiting for my boundless energy! I could really use it!
Or do I already have it? I did make mayonnaise this morning before work to use as a dressing for my lunch.... :unsure:  

I do!!! yesterday I dreamt I was in a party, and there was this tray with all sorts of chocolates, which I ate all. I remember thinking in my dream that it was worth it and that I could start the whole30 tomorrow!....Woke up feeling sooo guilty and felt Iike I cheated! hahaha

I had a few dreams earlier in the whole30 about buying a coffee and drinking it and realising it had milk in it; or ordering a sandwich from a local cafe and telling them I couldn't have cheese.. but totally disregarding I can't have bread either!... haha random. 

Yes, last night I was dreaming about eating bowls and bowlful cotton Candy! I do not like cotton candy. Very strange indeed.

My cravings are less and I am not feeling like I am hungry all the time as most diets have made me feel in the past. It's been fun finding foods and recipes that are Whole30 comlient. And yes I have found sausage that is compliment, no sulfites!

How is everyone going? I haven't really begun to notice any of the magic yet, even though I'm on day 15. I am missing the taste of sugar and comfort food but not exactly craving it. Just not overly excited by savoury flavours at the moment. 

@NazzaB, I am with you on it. The other day I had a great run with lots of energy and thought, "yea! I'm turning the corner!" But since then have continued to feel the same - I feel good but no better in particular than I did before I started. I do feel different in some ways, like not getting a headache in the morning without my daily soda. But magic? Nothing yet - ISWF says a lot of times the second half is where you see differences, so I'm holding on to that and hopefully in the coming week we'll start to notice a difference. At least we know we are doing our part by feeding our bodies good healthy food!

It's the same for me, no "magic" yet, but also no afternoon slump anymore. And it isn't a big problem when I have a meeting during my lunchbreak and have to eat afterwards, or when dinner is more late then usual. Sure I get hungry, but not out of control hungry, I can't think and I want to raid the snack machine hunger.

So that's good news :-)

It's day 15, only the first day of the second half, so I'm confident we all will feel better in a couple of days :-)

Thanks Iris will check it out. Are you actually in Breda? If so, i'm guessing the farmers market is around that area. Im near Eindhoven so its a bit of a trek for sausages :D at the moment we make our own but i would love to source better pork.

I did see someone post 2 links recently koopenkoe and koopenvarken imight be worth checking out

This is Day 45 for me.  I can't say that I have felt "the magic" in a sudden, dramatic way.  Instead, it's more like a subtle after-the-fact realization:  like, hey! I never feel the need for a nap anymore!  My energy levels are taking me longer and further.  I haven't been cranky lately.  I started noticing these differences after Day 21.

I've read here and found this to be true: a lot depends on where you were when you started the Whole30.  It is radically different from the way I was eating.  While I'd like to think I ate pretty healthy, my 80% included dairy, grains, legumes, soy, added sugar and my 20% included total crap like artificial sweeteners in everything, drinks made of water & chemicals like diet soda and Crystal Light, occasional outrageous desserts like German Chocolate Cake and flat out junk in big bags found on the snack aisles.  I'm also a cookie decorator who ate most of my cookie "mistakes", broken cookies and did way too much tasting when developing new flavors in cookie dough and icing to make sure I had it "perfect".

As was my traditional approach to beginning any new "diet" or food plan, my Whole30 Day One was preceded by a 3 Day Food Funeral honoring all of the foods I thought I'd miss the most during the 30 days.  So I gained 6 pounds of bloat before I even started. I am certain this alone made my first 2 weeks pretty miserable.  And since I fought my severe cravings for sugar and salty junk with fruit, nuts & seeds and was NOT disappointed to find I lost ZERO by day 31.

This article http://whole30.com/2011/09/context-matters-additional-factors/ really comforted me and encouraged me to continue beyond 30 days, limiting fruit, nuts & seeds and focusing on having 3 meals a day at regular times  and also addressing my totally deranged sleep patterns.  I don't know why I thought it was ever okay to "pull cookie all nighters" just to make sure I had special event or rush cookie orders ready on time!  But I did it about once a month.

Don't get me wrong, I had huge victories during the last two weeks of my Whole30: complete end of chronic, severe joint pain that was affecting my stamina & ability to stand/walk/move/sleep without pain as well as making me sad and anxious; freedom from cravings; increased energy and physical ability; much better and more even mood; and the end of the parade of processed food that had marched through my head almost continuously for years.  Since then, I was happily shocked to see a 9 pound weight loss on Day 40 and to get through an evening without snacking on Day 43 for the first time many years.

If your results don't exactly follow the timeline, don't be one bit discouraged!  The results will come on your own personal timeline and will be so worth it ;) Give yourself all the time you need to get the results you want.

Archived