Menopause+10 lbs.+40 years of fighting this=hope/skepticsm

Kathy58

Hi, I am a 56 year old mom of 7. Recently, (a year ago) our oldest son passed away. Coupled with that is the whole menopause thing and a life-long struggle to keep the weight off. I am about 10-12 pounds over what I prefer. I am, quite honestly, sick of the struggle. I am not a sedentary person--work out 5-6 a week, but am not conquering in the battle. So, though I am hopeful, I am also skeptical as through the years I have tried so many things. I am already gluten-free, so grains are not an issue. The dairy-free is my concern. I do love my cream in my coffee. I guess I also have come to that place where I am really tired of cooking. When all 7 children were home we cooked 3 meals a day from scratch; so the effort to just make a salad is very over-whelming to me sometimes. (I realize most of this is connected to the loss of our son and the grief). My husband and I are starting on Oct. 1st. I do hope to see some results, not just weight reduction; such as--stiffness and aches, usually related with age, to dissipate. This is the first forum I have ever participated in; rather a scary experience to put it all out there. Hoping for success.

Hi Kathy,

You can be very proud of yourself for doing something good for you and good for your health.  And good for you for posting and asking for support.

I lost my son 5 years ago and I can tell you that trying to do anything beyond the 'day to day' was a huge ordeal (and sometimes still is) - I can relate to being over-whelmed by making a salad.

I can also tell you that one of the most difficult and yet most helpful things I have done while grieving is finding ways to focus on myself in a positive manner.  I consider Whole30 to be for me and in just the 2nd week I AM feeling better.

Hang in there - I know the tough days you have.

Hugs,

Kathy

Kathy - Letting go of coffee and cream will help you more that you would ever believe.  I've never been the best cook.  I'm making more recipes now because I was in a food rut.  There's nothing scary about a Whole 30.   The coffee and cream affects hormones and blood sugar.  It contributes to insulin resistance.  Been there, done that.  When you let go of those two things, you'll see some good changes.

Don't be surprised if you're sleepy for about a week or so.  You're giving your adrenal glands a rest and they'll recover.  Then look out, your energy levels will soar.  You'll have success, Kathy.

Archived