Coconut water as post-workout carb

Guest sareemaree

Guest sareemaree

Hello,

I like to drink coconut water after running outside in the heat. I know that coconut water is technically approved but is generally recommended for use DURING endurance workouts. However I typically don't carry fluid with me unless I am going more than 2 hours so by the time I am done I have lost a lot of water weight (it's still 90+ degrees here) and I am craving a cold drink.

I have read ISWF and know that the recommended carbohydrate choice for the post-workout meal is a starchy vegetable and that fruit is not recommended because fructose preferentially replenishes liver glycogen stores instead of muscle glycogen stores. However, I have read (on the Internet … so who knows) that the sugars in coconut water are only 30% fructose (so, like 5g) and the rest glucose, which is better for muscle recovery. 

So, for my post-workout meal I have been having coconut water and egg whites, and am wondering if this is okay or if I am short-changing my recovery during that 30-minute post-workout window. I still do try to eat a regular meal of vegetables, protein, and fat 1-2 hours later.

Thanks.

You could do worse than coconut water and egg whites for post-workout recovery. Your reasoning (re: fructose/glucose balance, etc.) is good, and, depending on your context this could be fine, especially if that context is fit and active and your workouts are cardio-intensive.

If you are aiming to lose weight or your workouts are less cardio-intensive (strength training) I would skew toward more protein/less carb. If I have coconut water (occasionally during or post-workout when it is very hot out) I water it down 50/50 or more with plain water, which makes it a better option for my personal context.

Archived