Compliant products other countries

reece1932

Hello,

I have a question I hope someone can help me with.  I bought some coconut chutney powder by Double Horse based in India.  It doesn't have any bad ingredients that I can tell: 

• Coconut
  • Chili power
  • Salt
  • Ginger
  • pepper
  • Tamarind
  • Fenugreek
  • Asafoetida

It was fantastic on shrimp and cauliflower rice.  Then I began to worry that there are different labelling standards.  Can I trust this label?  Does anyone know of a consolidated source of information about this or do you just have to search country by country?

Thanks bunches!

I don't know if India has a law where you have to disclose MSG or other additives. A quick Google didn't show up anything except that India is making changes to labelling laws for vegetarians. Maybe you can find more. 

I commend you on your vigilance.  I would say that all these ingredients are "whole" foods. Not even any grey areas. 

Unless actively concealing nutritional information is legal in India, I would say you're good. 

I have never heard of Asafoetida and had to look it up - its kind of a fascinating ingredient. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

If you want to be super vigilant, make your own mix next time - looks like this would be fairly easy to replicate. 

Also - how do you feel after eating it? 

Thank you!  I could make my own but would require the purchasing a whole bunch of spices and I have a small kitchen.  Plus I have almost a full bottle.

In terms of how I felt, it is difficult for me to discern if it had any ill affects.  However, I am only on day 5 of my first whole 30 so I am not sure I would be able to tell yet.

If it is compliant, I HIGHLY recommend the mixture to people.  It was extremely good.

Archived