CathieC

This is my first Whole 30

Current ailments:

Insomnia

Lower back pain upon waking

Haven't worked out in 2.5 mos.

Exercise induced asthma

Occasional small acne break outs

Lactose Intolerant (milk, ice cream give me issues) but I eat cheese.

Bad habit of going to bed late and waking up late.

Weight: 145

Measurements to follow.

Day 1:

I had a couple of drinks last night. Woke up in the middle of the night when my blood sugar crashed. Then woke up on and off all through out the night.

Today I'm tired and mildly hung over. I usually ignore how I physically feel but am trying to be more aware.

Tomorrow I start Pilates 2x/week. I'm looking forward to feeling strong again.

Day 1 Food Log:

Bfast - Leftover Thai ground pork, basil, red pepper from dinner last night, 2 organic eggs scrambled, sauteed Kale with garlic. Americano, black.

Lunch - Homemade organic grilled chicken breast w/Italian seasoning, 1/2 avocado, sauteed Kale with garlic, grapes.

Dinner - Ground beef w/onion and garlic, fresh spinach, 1/2 avocado, grapes.

Oh, I loved reading your ailments!  I should have written down mine because man-oh-man, I have a lot of them these days!  I did Whole30 in the past and things definitely improved over the course of the month and then over the course of later months as I continued to eat well.  And then, they deteriorated as I slipped down down down into my old ways.  Alas! :) 

Have fun at Pilates!

Day 2:

Last night I got a headache about an hour before bed. I looked at the website and found that this is common. I'm feeling full a lot. I'm not sure if my portions are correct but according to the book I should be conscious of it but not worry about it too much.

I've been eating at the table w/no TV on. This is different for me.

I was concerned about not eating a pre-workout meal before my first Pilates class but it wasn't a strenuous class. They explained how to breathe, tighten your core and how to use the reformer machine. I really need to start going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.

I'm trying to cook what's in my freezer and fridge before planning meals. So far my meals are a hodge podge of what's in my kitchen w/no real recipe plan. That's ok, as long as it's Whole 30 compliant. This diet, which I hate calling it that, isn't too far off of how I eat now.

I discovered that those frozen garlic, basil, etc... spices that are in frozen lil ice cubes have sugar derivatives and soy in them. That stuff is in everything. The grocery store seems 90% useless to me now.

Day 2 Food Log:

Bfast - Ran out of eggs, had dinner for bfast! Ground beef w/onion and garlic, fresh spinach, 1/2 avocado, banana. Coffee, black.

Lunch - Ground beef w/onion and garlic, fresh spinach, 1/2 avocado.

Dinner - 1/2 Delicata squash w/ground beef w/onion and garlic, 1/2 sweet potato crisped in a pan w/leeks and kale. (I may try this w/ground turkey next time. It was so yummy.)

Day 3:

Getting headaches at night still. I'm feeling full all day long. I'm not snacking during the day due to feeling full. But then when it's time for another meal I have the odd feeling of being hungry and feeling full at the same time. I had a wave of tiredness hit me at 10pm. Which is good, but I ignored it and stayed up until midnight. Tonight I'm making myself go to bed at a reasonable time. Why not start some additional good habits since I'm on roll. I need to take my measurements tonight.

Day 3 Food Log:

Bfast - Chicken breast w/fresh spinach, banana.

Lunch - 1/2 Delicata squash w/ground beef w/onion and garlic, 1/2 sweet potato crisped in a pan w/leeks and kale.

Dinner - Salad: Chicken breast, fresh spinach, bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, avocado w/salt & pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

In other bacony news, I checked my freezer and I had 2 packages of bacon. One turkey and one pork. The turkey one is out and is not Whole 30 compliant. The pork bacon I didn't have high hopes for but ended up "looking"Whole 30 compliant. It's from Trader Joe's, is uncured and said no sugar on the front and in the ingredients. I'm going to give it better look tonight when I get home and will also do some research online before eating it. Time to comb through the forums to see if other people have done the research for me.

My girlfriend just finished Whole 30 and went down 3 sizes. She also said she's there for support and reminded me of this recipe I sent her. I'm so glad she reminded me of it because I'm going to make some this weekend. Maybe I'll pour it over some spaghetti squash.

http://spryliving.com/recipes/crowd-pleasing-slow-cooker-pumpkin-chili/

Pure County Uncured Rustic Bacon

No nitrates (except for naturally occuring nitrates in sea salt and celery juice powder.) or nitrites added. No sugar added. Gluten free, casein free and milk free. Never administered antibiotics of any kind. Humanely raised; free range on a sustainable family farm. No farrowing crates or gestation stalls. Raised on vegetarian feed. Non-GMO verified.

Ingredients: Pork (Food Alliance Certified). Water, Sea Salt, Celery Powder.

Score. I must have gotten it at PCC according to their website. :-)

Day 4:

Got a low grade headache today. These seem to be getting better. I had to stop by a friend's last night to pick something up quickly. The quickly part didn't work out and I went to bed late again. I had good intentions.

I missed my pilates class but registered for tomorrow morning's class. I hope I get up in time.

I noticed that my typical dry skin that starts in the Fall/Winter is subsiding. This is odd for me because I just thought that was how my skin was normally. Apparently not. My face feels softer too. Neat!

Day 4 Food Log:

Bfast - 2 eggs scrambled, chopped red bell pepper, tomato, mushroom and chopped kale. Banana. Americano black.

Lunch - Salad: Chicken breast, fresh spinach, bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, avocado w/salt & pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - 3 eggs scrambled, chopped red bell pepper, tomato, mushroom and chopped kale, 2 slices of bacon.

Day 5 (Friday):

Got a low grade headache today.

I woke up with back pain today, which is typical. I'm hoping the Pilates will help. I went to Pilates this morning and it was a little more work than the first class but not strenuous yet.

I think I've been eating too much protein (larger than the size of my palm). I think that's why I've been feeling so full all day. I automatically will eat a whole tuna steak or whole chicken breast even though it's larger than the size of my palm. Today I started to cut up my protein, if needed to palm sized portions. This has helped immensely w/me feeling satisfied instead of full.

Day 5 Food Log:

Bfast - 2 eggs scrambled, 2 slices of bacon, chopped red bell pepper, tomato, and chopped kale. Banana. Coffee black.

Lunch - Salad: 3 slices of bacon, fresh spinach, bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, avocado w/salt & pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - Tuna steak, broccolini and kale.

Day 6 (Saturday):

No headache today. I cooked, cooked and cooked some more. My pressure cooker was sweating. I made the following and food saver'd it in small portions: 1 whole bag of sweet potatoes. Brussel Sprouts and Carrots, spaghetti squash, delicata squash.

Tonight I went to a minor league hockey game. I was concerned about wanting to have a beer really bad but it wasn't around me so it wasn't an issue. I attended w/a couple who had Whole30'd so they were supportive. Although when they bought a piece of cheese pizza for their kid and the plate was passed over me it sure looked good. I was fine otherwise.

Day 6 Food Log:

Bfast - 2 eggs scrambled, 2 slices of bacon, chopped red bell pepper, tomato and chopped kale. Grapes. Coffee black.

Lunch - Tuna steak, broccolini and kale.

Dinner - Tuna steak, sweet potatoes.

Day 7 (Sunday):

No headache today.

I made the pumpkin chili recipe tonight as I slept. Ready for eating during the week.

Today I craved chips and salsa pretty badly. I ignored it.

Day 7 Food Log:

Bfast - 2 eggs scrambled, 2 slices of bacon, chopped red bell pepper, tomato and chopped kale. Grapes. Coffee black.

Lunch - Tuna steak, sweet potatoes. Grapes

Dinner - Salad: Grilled chicken, fresh spinach, bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, w/salt & pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 31 recap

Ailments
Insomnia - Resolved
Lower back pain upon waking - 60% resolved but not totally gone.
Haven't worked out in 2.5 mos. - I started Pilates 2x/week at the same time as starting my Whole 30.
Exercise induced asthma - Unknown, I haven't tried cardio.
Occasional small acne break outs - Resolved
Lactose Intolerant (milk, ice cream give me issues) but I eat cheese. - Unknown, more than likely still an issue.
Bad habit of going to bed late and waking up late. - Unresolved. This may be my next 30 day experiment.

Measurement Results
Weight -6.3 lbs
Body Fat % -3.10%
Upper Chest -3/4"
Bust -1"
Waist (under bust) -2 1/4"
Midriff (Belly Button) -1 1/4"
Upper Midriff (2" above Belly Button) -2"
Lower Hip (widest) -1 1/2"
Upper Thigh (12" above kneecap) -2 1/4"
Mid Thigh (6" above kneecap) -1 3/4"
Calf -1/2"