never hungry

Babsie95

This is day 10 of my third whole 30. I have had great success while on it but crash soon after. The biggest problem that I am finding is that I am almost never hungry. The first two rounds this happened towards the middle and end. This round I have not wanted to eat since day one. I am not hungry.  I have been trying to eat and mostly have but why am I NEVER hungry. I typically love food especially good whole 30 type food, I love to cook and experiment.  I have been doing all of that but I still seem to have no interest in eating and no hunger. I am intending to press on but it seems so weird to me. I don't want to hate food and eating forever and it just doesn't seem to be passing.

I am eating but likely not enough cause I mostly have to force myself

I'm sorry I missed this earlier - we didn't mean to leave your post without a response!

Could you post a couple days' worth of meals, sleep, exercise, water intake, stress levels, and anything else you think might be pertinent?  Maybe we can give you some tips.

A couple of things come to mind sort of randomly - if you are having any digestive issues this go-round, that can affect your perception of hunger (like if you're bloated you may miss that you are hungry, because the feeling of bloating can mask the feeling of hunger). Also, sometimes added stress suppresses appetite (so does drinking caffeine before breakfast).

Since this is not your first rodeo, you may have already ruled these things out - but post some info and hopefully we can give you some tips.  I hope your appetite returns very soon!

its ok...

there are some digestive issues but they seem better since starting the 30.  I know I have not been eating enough and at times I have eaten a bit as the alternative is to not eat. This does concern me. I want to lose weight but not by starvation. So here is a couple days of food recently.

day 10

Meal 1: homemade bone broth, 1 hard boiled egg

Meal 2: zuppa Toscana (olive garden copycat recipe, whole 30 approved), steamed squash with ghee

Meal 3: grilled chicken breast with vegetables, avocado and roasted red potatoes

* two cups of caffeine free hot tea spaced between breakfast and lunch

day 11

Meal 1:  2 hard boiled egg whites, fruit, bone broth

Meal 2:  Avocado, chicken salad, fruit

Meal3: forgot to eat -- had a few raw cashews and macadamias with evening medication

I am stressed with a lot going on at work and with family. I am also taking antibiotics for the last few days for an infected bug bite.

However the lack of desire to eat started before any stress or medical issue.

This is not normal for me eating is never an issue. I love food, healthy and otherwise.  I love the food I am making myself now as well it tastes good. I should enjoy it and I don't. I dread it. Just thinking of food makes me nauseated. I have been able to drink hot tea, bone broth and I seem to tolerate fruit (I still limit it)

its ok...

there are some digestive issues but they seem better since starting the 30.  I know I have not been eating enough and at times I have eaten a bit as the alternative is to not eat. This does concern me. I want to lose weight but not by starvation. So here is a couple days of food recently.

day 10

Meal 1: homemade bone broth, 1 hard boiled egg

Meal 2: zuppa Toscana (olive garden copycat recipe, whole 30 approved), steamed squash with ghee

Meal 3: grilled chicken breast with vegetables, avocado and roasted red potatoes

* two cups of caffeine free hot tea spaced between breakfast and lunch

day 11

Meal 1:  2 hard boiled egg whites, fruit, bone broth

Meal 2:  Avocado, chicken salad, fruit

Meal3: forgot to eat -- had a few raw cashews and macadamias with evening medication

I am stressed with a lot going on at work and with family. I am also taking antibiotics for the last few days for an infected bug bite.

However the lack of desire to eat started before any stress or medical issue.

This is not normal for me eating is never an issue. I love food, healthy and otherwise.  I love the food I am making myself now as well it tastes good. I should enjoy it and I don't. I dread it. Just thinking of food makes me nauseated. I have been able to drink hot tea, bone broth and I seem to tolerate fruit (I still limit it)

OK I'm totally guessing because I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV; but I'm going to guess that the combination of added stress, an infection from a bug bite, and antibiotics, have done a number on your appetite.

For folks with illnesses who want to eat Whole30, we often recommend bone broth, and I'd say you could drink it throughout the day, not just as part of a meal.

Also, if your appetite is dicey, you might think like a pregnant woman and look in your fridge and ask yourself "what can I eat RIGHT NOW?" and make a meal out of that. If it's not completely/exactly to the template, so be it, you'll feel better soon.

Sometimes more experienced moderators will talk about probiotics, and it might be worth considering those as you're finishing out a course of antibiotics. You can google Whole30 probiotics to see some conversations about this.

Does any of this sound like it makes sense? I hope it helps a bit.

I wonder if maybe I need to stop my 30 at some point. I'm not sure but maybe without feeling so restricted I could find something. Plain white steamed rice comes to mind. That is my I feel sick or nauseated go to...  I don't know... I don't really want to stop the 30 but I wonder at what point it might be necessary. 

I seem to be struggling with it more today maybe I am just in that "give up" spot in the time line, but I am having trouble shaking it.  even if I do abandon this round (which I haven't decided) I love the 30 and would return in the future.

The other thing I didn't mention that might play a part is that this is the first whole 30 where I felt totally lousy for the whole first week (for whatever reason) which gave it a rough start. I feel better just never got my appetite back.  Sorry to keep going on about it but this struggle is just really bothering me.

Yeah, if you felt lousy the first week, developed an insect bite infection and had to go on antibiotics in the second week, and generally have more stress than usual, you're not having a fun time no matter what you eat. 

Whatever you decide, Whole30 will still be here, just like always. One thing to keep in mind this go-round is that white potatoes are back on the Whole30 approved list. So if you're looking for a mild starchy carb and you don't really want to go off your Whole30, you could try some potatoes. I know they aren't rice, but they are a mild starchy carb.

Hang in there and feel better SOON.

Archived