Hello! Starting October 25, 2014

conniebug

Hello everyone!

I'm starting my first Whole30 on Saturday the 25th. I have sever migraines and eczema, and I'm hoping changing my eating habits will improve or eliminate my struggles with those. I am also obese, so a little weight loss sure wouldn't hurt. Mostly, though, I want to get rid of the headaches and the drugs I use to treat them.

My family has been very supportive of this, for which I am grateful.

I've planned out about 15 dinners and a couple of options for breakfasts and lunches (I don't need much variety there). I've warned my family and coworkers about the mood changes that come with the process. I've planned a Whole30 compliant Thanksgiving. I read the book cover to cover.

Is there anything I'm forgetting? Anything else I need to do before I start?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Welcome!  You sound like you're in the right mindset for a successful journey! 

There is tonnes of info on the forum surrounding headaches/migraines and starchy carbs.  I can't link from work but if you google Whole30 and migraines you'll find lots of info.  The reason I mention this is that for some people, the headaches get worse before they get better and adding in starchy carbs en masse at the beginning can help with curbing the frequency or pain in some.

Check out the Whole 30 Timeline also (google)...it's not necessarily EXACTLY what you will experience but it's a good port in the storm if you're feeling a bit sideways at the beginning!

As far as anything else to do before you start?  PRECOOK.  Hard boiled eggs, cooked protein, diced and sliced veggies, roasted veggies, sauces and spice mixes, compliant canned fishes, olives, coconut milk, good oils.  If you have compliant food available you will eat compliant food. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, ladyshanny! I'll be sure to check out info on the starch/migraine connection tonight.

I've pre-roasted some veggies so all I have to do is heat them. I've also put lots of shredded chicken meat in the fridge (easy to add to sauteed greens in a hurry). I'm boiling some eggs tonight to devil with my homenade mayo, and I'm mixing up some soy free tuna salad.

I'm pumped! And scared :huh::unsure: , but I'm committed to making it work.

I started today too and am far less prepared! I cooked up ground beef and chicken breast, roasted some squash and that's about it. Totally feeling unprepared but going for it. I plan to do more prepping for the work week tomorrow and would love to hear what dinners you have in mind!

The first couple of days were only so-so. I had a migraine the first day, so that took a lot out of me. I learned the mayo recipe I used makes flavorless mayo, so I'll me making a new batch with a different recipe tonight.

Day 3 is going well so far, although I do have a slight headache (not a migraine). I assume its withdrawal.

Archived