Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

@Madscience, our posts must have crossed.  Meh, on the co-worker.  You know the true story, and I'm sure it won't go unnoticed, don't forget to give yourself kudos, because you deserve it!  Lunch sounds amazing, btw.

LOL! We did cross! 

It was a warm 24 degrees this morning with flurries, so it was nice to have a heat wave :) That shrimp recipe looks amazing!!!! I might give it a try!!!

And part of keeping my happy up was to allow myself to vent about coworker, but then remind myself about the other awesome happening... so while it was frustrating... couldn't keep me form enjoying my lunch or getting things done... Might be busy, but going to keep a smile on my face :)

Bicycling is so much fun... I don't often do it (I am a running junkie) but I do enjoy it when I get out on the road....

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Monday to you both!!!

Had a pretty good weekend, Survived my banquet at the station with a "mocktail" of club soda and pineapple juice. I knew one of the bartenders and she let me check the labels on the supplies :) I ate before I went and brought some snacks in case i got hungry. Luckily, the food wasn't something I was too upset about missing... so no temptation there. 

Made some another pork roast over the weekend and served it with pineapple sauce and roasted broccoli. Was a huge family hit and I was happy that everyone was eating something compliant that was pretty easy for me to make! I also made the Lizard sauce from well fed 2... is pretty amazing and my husband was eating it with pretzels and said I need to make a double batch next time! Also made the bora bora fireballs for my lunch this week, so I am looking forward to that!

Had a good run with my dog yesterday, it thawed out here a bit and it felt good to get some sunshine and a run in... Maybe part of the reason why I am feeling great today... think that maybe I getting my feel good results a little faster this time around... :)

One of my family members recently had her thyroid removed and is on basically a Whole 30 diet, so I sent her the link to the site and some links to recipes. She said she feels so great now after eating well for 2 weeks and cannot believe how much happier she is.... and she sleeps better... I said I know it is awesome!

Well...I will admit to not having a compliant weekend.  I guess I should no longer be in this thread.  I intend to get right back on the horse today, and don't want to look back.  I have decided I'm not ready to do a Whole 30, however, I definitely want to remain paleo as I know I feel so much better eating this way.  I think I felt like I was cheating all the time, and just caved over the weekend.  I did make an awesome roasted root vegetable recipe with a cider vinegarette marinade, and, in addition, I roasted a butternut squash, so I have lots of veggies to last a few days!

Madscience and Michele1966, I know you'll rock this Whole30 again!

@livin4lish it is OK!  You are in exactly the right place and please don't go anywhere! 

I hope you enjoyed whatever it was you ate :-) Remember the amazing lifestyle changes you are making (heading towards 50 in style and health) and with that will come days and weekends that you veer and the next day are back on it. 

To me that is Whole 9 and maybe what we should do is re-name it.  Calling it Whole 30 isn't accurate for me either.  All I am trying to do is model the template for what I eat but not a purist by any means.  Indeed I am having wine now and then and not freaking if I eat some bacon or parmesan now and then.  So I was probably right there with you this weekend! 

I think it is just perfect that you know you are not ready to do another Whole 30 right now.  I know that too.  Not now, maybe not ever if I find what I am doing now feels good enough.

have a good Monday!

Yay for you guys!!! sounds like you are finding that happy place between Whole 30 and the Whole 9... I guess you could say I was whole 9 since the I finished up my whole 30 in November and am back on the strict Whole 30 until Feb 4th... not that I am counting down or anything. The whole 30 this time around seems more doable, I guess maybe because I was fresh off of the last one and didn't really stray too far from it... I am feeling pretty good on day 8! 

Once done with this round I am going to try and maintain like I did during Dec and see how I feel... and if I need a mini reset, a whole 7 might be what I need, or maybe just 1 whole 30 a year... we shall see...

Hope you guys are having a great day!!!

Good Morning!!  @madsciencem, indeed, good description of it for me.  I've been Whole 9 since finishing my Whole 30 on Nov 25th. 

I've been pretty pure.  No straying in the 6 weeks (has it only been 6 weeks??) since for a few reasons.  I am pretty set on losing some weight and this works for me.  And since felt so awful during my W30 and now finally feel pretty darn great I don't want to let that part go.  I also am kind of an all or nothing person in that I am pretty sure that a few chips at a Mexican restaurant may unravel the whole thing at this stage.  Maybe not 6 months from now but now I know I have more emotional work to do - 30 days wasn't enough.  While some have sugar dragons and can't eat any sugar that would be the story for me and carbs.  One chip and it quickly becomes the entire bag and then something else. Truth be told.  No chips?  I don't even think about it.  I did toy with doing another Whole 30 and I still may do it again after this weekends wedding but it's not calling me to do it so I know I won't stick with it.  I'll wait until it does...

Good call to do a Whole 7 or so.  I forgot about quicker resets... admire you for doing it again to join your mother! 

I am also enjoying the food tremendously and don't miss the other stuff.  I have decided I am going develop and test an original recipe based on eggplant.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I made something this weekend and it was so good I want it again.  Kind of a lasagna but no cheese.  A layered dish I can't get enough of!  I ate the last for dinner yesterday.  So good.  I'll post it if it works out. 

How you doing @livin4lish? 

@Michele1966 - You have a very good perspective on this lifestyle.  I guess I'm trying to eat in a way that I know will be healthy AND sustainable.  Whole 9 mostly, but there are days since the Whole30 that I was eating the "typical American diet" - YUCK.  Not only do I feel awful physically, it makes me feel terrible psychologically, that despite all the evidence of feeling and looking better, I still give in to the junk.  I am working to overcome that, and I think that's why I'm not quite ready for another strict Whole30.  I do intend to re-read "It Starts With Food."  It was that book, after all, that convinced me that paleo is the way to go, and Whole30 is a great way to jump start it.  

@Madscience - you continue to impress me with your stamina both in the Whole30, and your physical lifestyle.  Are you doing this Whole30 with your mother?  I gathered that from Michele's post, but I didn't remember reading that before.  If so, that's really cool.  My mother would never agree to eating this way.  She is very thin, but not exactly what I would consider fit and healthy.  She is nearly 71, and is completely independent, but has always focused on being thin at any expense.  I grew up in a very unhealthy relationship with food and my body as a result of what my mother emphasized as important (i.e., being thin).  I was always athletic, and as I said, at 5'11",not a petite little butterfly.  I loathed my body at 150lbs, but now can see that I was super fit and healthy back then.  I don't think I could reach that weight again, but I would still like to lose some.  I now know that when I eat healthfully, I feel healthy, and I know that's what's the most important, not how much I weigh.  

So, again, quite a ramble, but...I am going to hang around for inspiration, and perhaps will consider another PURE Whole30 in the future.  

@ Livin4LishYes I am doing a pure Whole 30 this time around with my Mom. She is a pretty active lady and does ballroom dance competitions in her spare time  :)  She also used to take hip hop dance class with me, but this year she is concentrating more on ballroom! 

The 2nd time around doing the Whole 30 is not quite as daunting as the first time around... I feel like I have a better handle on things... but we shall see.

I am heading out of town on Sunday night to visit a friend for the night. Luckily she has lots of food sensitivities, so she was all about trying to find some compliant food to cook. we are having local raised beef brisket with a dry rub, some local veggies, and a salad. She even is going to stay "dry" for the night with me... normally we indulged in a bottle of wine together to catch up, so i am happy that she is willing to support me in this... :wub:

Today is my Grandmother's 87th birthday... so I am going to hang out and see her some tonight... No cake for me, though... I  live next door, so will be easy for me to get a quick run in around the farm and then eat something and head over to her place.... 

Sounds like you guys are doing the Whole 9 right... and I agree with @livin4lish eating a standard diet does make me feel pretty bad and then I beat myself up a little for straying to far away from "the good stuff" which makes me feel good.

Day 9 in the books and still going strong... my Mom got me a copy of Well Fed 2 as a surprise... am so excited and now I dont have to buy it for myself!!!

Next Wed, I have an exciting day planned, I am finishing up my arm sleeve tattoo... While it seems very crazy (I am a little bit), I am finishing up an arm sleeve of Science... this will extend it from my elbow to my wrist area... will have DNA, Carbon atoms, Lactic Acid molecule (causes muscle burn after hard workouts) and putrescine (did my undergrad research on it) molecule... My upper arm has DNA, carbon atoms, ATP (body's unit of energy), and a Phylogenetic tree.... I am a big science nerd and am excited about getting the rest of my arm done... I know it seems silly... I have had it planned for 6 months

My artist books that far ahead! So I have been paying money towards it each month and the day is almost here.... Luckily my job doesn't require me to cover it up, 

I only have to cover it at the Gymnastics place, my dance studio doesnt require that. So that excitement, plus the excitement of the approaching tiger blood is 

keeping me focused!

Madscience, I think it's funny that you say "luckily" my friend has lots of food sensitivities - perhaps she hasn't thought of it as good luck, but now can recognize that it's usually foods that aren't the best for us that we develop sensitivities to (wish I had some :blink: ).  I suppose, as I write that, I do, since I do feel so much better when not eating - say, gluten, or dairy.  Obviously not an allergy, but sensitivity for sure.

Your tatoo sounds awesome. I love your passion for all you do!

I have not yet decided to restart in a strict fashion, but am focused on eating paleo, and staying positive! Like coming here and reading your stories, and drawing inspiration!

Livin4Lish - have you tried eggplant dredged in egg wash, coated in almond meal and pan-fried (or even baked) in olive oil?  It is delicious!  All that lusciousness and Whole30!  The eggplant turns creamy and the outer part is crispy.  It is the base for my lasagna-ish dish.  I also like eggplant grilled with olive oil until cooked and creamy.  It does help if you take the time to salt it and get the extra liquid out.  Less bitter I think... I fell in love with it while in Italy.  It was on an antipasto bar and I didn't know what it was.  Probably a good thing or I wouldn't have eaten it and missed out.

I think that healthy and sustainable... from up top is an excellent strategy. I am going to borrow that and keep it in mind.  Healthy is important but sustainable is too or I end up right back where I started.  The sustainable is the part I think I am focused on more so... I do not want to do this again.  If it takes me 18 months to get where I am going but there is no rewind?  That is my preference.  Part of that is learning how to manage eating out, eating a dessert now and then, etc and now allowing it to completely unravel everything.

Funny I have evolved to feel lucky I am celiac as it is a good excuse to not eat things at parties :P and does get me through the holidays!

Congrats madscience on your arm tattoo, have a good weekend with your friend.  I know I am missing all sorts of good stuff in the past few posts.  I am headed away this weekend for a wedding.  Not sure if I will be online or not since I am not sure what we'll be doing outside of the festivities.  If I go dark for a bit, have a great few days!  See you all back on Tuesday!

@Michele66 have a great time at the wedding!!!! Enjoy yourself!!!! And enjoy being unplugged!

I like to unplug on the weekends and just enjoy being a "wildling". I try not to log onto the internet unless I am getting a recipe or somethings, just because I spend so much time at work on the computer... I love the feeling of being free on the farm, running around, no cell phone, no worries.  :wub:

I am excited for lunch today, my sister and I are going for a walk! She works in the building across the square from mine and she recently had surgery to replace a vertebrae in her neck. I had a pretty heavy workout last night and can already feel the burn in my legs, so I am okay with skipping running the steps today and going for a nice walk outside!  ;)

That Eggplant sounds yummy, I may have to try it in the next few weeks!

@ Livin4Lish- My friend actually was the one who said "luckily I know something about eating around restrictions with all my food allergies!" She is a good sport and I am looking forward to catching up with her.

Hope everyone has a healthy day!!! 

Hello!  How you two doing?  Checking in after my weekend in California where it was sunny and warm which was soooo nice!!  You guys were quiet!  How is it going? 

@MSM (short for madsciencem) what day are you on now?  Past the halfway point, right?

@L4L (you get the idea livin4lish) you still out there?  how are you?

I had a nice weekend with family and did OK overall.  Sometimes it is easy when there is nothing you can eat as everything has gluten in it!  No cakes, cookies or hamburger buns for me!  I did get to eat an In-n-Out burger protein style which we do not have here!  A handful of potato chips during the Seahawks game (stress eating for sure) and other than that did just fine.  No real exercise to speak of as we were on the go.  I did get to see downtown LA and Hollywood for the first time which was fun.

What's new with you two?

@Michele1966 - I would be a liar if I said I wasn't envious of your trip to Californina.  Sounds like it was wonderful, I'm happy you went and were able to enjoy some warmth.  Do you have Celiac, or are you just gluten intolerant?  Yes, it would make it easier to make better choices if you can't eat gluten, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who eat it just the same and live in discomfort/pain.  Did you once mention arthritis?  I still wonder about that, but looking at that autoimmune protocol just makes me want to cry - no eggs or nightshades would do me in.  Now that I have been doing more exercising, I definitely can notice an improvement in my knees (well, I suppose the fact that I'm back at cleaning up my diet is helping, too).

@madscience - you should post a pic of your new tattoo! Congratulations - I guess you're on day 19 today?!  Great job, you should be proud of yourself.  Did you do any body compostion measurement before the challenge, or strength testing?  Just curious.  I am working toward increasing strength, but my starting point is pretty low :mellow:, so I'm seeing gains with frequency.  I did get a pullup station in the basement - that is going to take a great deal of work.  I think I'm going to get some blast straps which will enable me to do body rows, and presumably build up to pull ups.  

As far as eating, I am sincerely trying to eat paleo all the time.  I am not attempting the Whole30 approach right now, and have used honey in some dressings, and not completely scrutinizing the labels.  I do feel as if I'm becoming slightly less impulsive with eating.  I am trying to let go of the food thoughts when I'm stressing.  I have a long way to go, but I am definitely making improvements in my thought pattern, which is a good thing.  One day I ate popcorn, but did not decide it was an all or nothing day, but determined the popcorn was a treat I enjoyed with my little guy while watching a movie (I did pop it in coconut oil ;) ). In the past, I may have eaten the popcorn then determined my day was shot anyway, so I might as well just keep going and find some cookies, ice cream, chips - you get the point.

Upon the encouragement of a couple friends, I bought a Fitbit.  I used to think it was a glorified pedometer, well, I guess it sort of is, but it is keeping me motivated to keep moving.  I've only had it for a week, but it's fun, and I love me a little healthy competition.  I also like it because I got the new one with a heart rate monitor.  I have always enjoyed gadgets, so I guess it's amazing that it's taken me this long to buy one.

Cheers to you both, and I hope you're enjoying your weekend!  Happy healthy week to you :D .

hi folks, a quick hi, I am swamped this week, not even a moment to read and catch up!

@livin4lish so glad you are still out there

@madsciencem would love to see a picture

will pop back in as soon as I get a chance.  hope you are both well and the storms don't have you housebound!  keep warm!!

Good Morning Ladies, Happy Friday!  All's going well here.  I have been doing a lot better living the Paleo lifestyle, with minor slips that I don't dwell on. 

@Michelle1966 - I made the breakfast sausage recipe this week, and it was yummy.  I used grass fed beef because I didn't have any ground chicken, but I have been enjoying them all week.  It makes it so much easier when there are foods at the ready. I also made a large pot of chicken vegetable soup last Sunday that I was able to eat through Wednesday, and paleo tacos on Tuesday with leftovers (I love them, but my kids don't seem to like them as much as the "old" way.  I have been using grass fed beef, and mixing up my own seasoning, so I'm not sure what it is that they don't like as much).  When we have taco night, it's a veritable Mexican Fiesta with homemade pico de gallo and guacomole - yum!

@Madscience - glad you didn't get the bulk of the snow, sound like a lot of folks were hit hard again.  We didn't get much at all, here.

We have been enjoying some fabulous weather around here, way warmer than last year.  This morning it's down in the teens, I haven't walked the dogs yet, but I hope it's not so darned windy.  Last night when I walked them, I thought we'd be blown away, and that makes the cold so much more intense.

Gearing up for a great weekend.  I haven't forgotten my goal of doing a pullup, and have been working bit by bit.  I don't know if I've made much progress, but I'm trying.  My knees are still giving me issues, and I just wish I could figure it out, but thankfully, I'm still able to be quite active!

Have a great one!

Hi to you both - sorry I've been MIA.  I've been swamped and had a hard time popping in even to say hello!!

It is crazy how 1 day can derail you... nothing so terrible... but one day of over-eating and my motivation nose-dived.  Sunday we had a group over, made some good stuff, people brought some other good stuff, it was all paleo, I just ate too much.  Yesterday I felt off, hungry all day and oddly didn't care.  I had the intention when I woke up of doing kind of a re-set as my brain wanted to get back on it, do a reset, didn't like how I felt, didn't want things to unravel, etc.  All day long all I wanted to do was snack.  I was hungry by 10:30am despite having a breakfast that should have been plenty and followed the template.  It was hard to make it through the day and I did graze and feel tempted more than normal.  All from 1 day!  This after 4 months and getting to a place of more or less easy street.

So we'll see how today goes...

@livin4lish - how are you?  I am glad you liked the sausage!  I am envious of your source of grass fed ground beef!!  Good for you for keeping it Paleo :-)  And even better for not dwelling on the slips.  I think that is the true secret to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  Dwelling cannot be good for us.  I think it falls in to the stress category...and we know that is not good...

@madscience  You must be close to the finish line... how many days in?  I'd love to see a picture too!  Love how you go for it - tattoo, activity, dance, all things!!  Your zest for life seems to come through these pages :-) 

Hope you two are doing well.  Michele

Hello Loves!!!!

Day 29 here and still feeling good. And yay for both of you for not dwelling on things and staying on track... I am hoping I can do that as well as I come off this Whole 30! This time around on the whole 30 I have been focusing on the "ingredients" in my life and how it all fits together and impacts how I feel. I have been working on some non food stuff this time around and I am getting better about making"compliant" choices in life and how I allow things to impact me!

Picture of part of my new art is my profile pic, you can see the DNA, part of the putrescine molecule, and a Carbon atom.... 

Day 29!!  WOW that went fast!!  Or at least from my side of the fence it went fast!  holy moley tomorrow you are done.  Inspiring!  How has your mom done?  How does she feel?  Do you feel any different this time vs last?  Love the added "ingredients" approach.  So cool.  Whole 30 really does inspire lots of good changes in life doesn't it? 

Love, love, love the tattoo!! Gorgeous.  Seems like you found an artist that could really create your vision :) congrats!!  I think it is cool. 

Archived