SUSANCAROLE's FIRST Whole30

susancarole

OCTOBER 27, 2014: The start of my 1st Whole 30! Yay me!

GOALS:

• make it through the 30days without any cheats!
  • Masters Swim 3 days per week
  • add running (this is a hard one for me)
  • lose weight
  • make permanent lifestyle change with food (continue Whole30....not sure how this'll work since Thanksgiving is 2 days after I "finish" my 1st 30.......suggestions appreciated)

STATS:

• BEGIN WEIGHT: 197......eek.......
  • measurements to come

Will post meals daily.

MEALS, DAY 1, OCTOBER 27TH

BREAKFAST

• Eggs with sweet potato & onion
  • Coffee (THE VERY 1ST TIME DRINKING IT BLACK.....NOT TOO BAD....WOULDA TRIED IT WITH COCONUT MILK, BUT DIDN'T FIND A COMPLIANT BRAND AT THE STORE)

LUNCH

• 1/4 c applesauce

SNACK (had an appt after work & knew I'd need "something" before dinner, as it would be too long since lunch)

• Coconut cream pie Larabar
  • 1/4 c applesauce
  • banana

DINNER

• 1c meatloaf-seasoned ground beef
  • 2 small avocados

EXCERCISE:

• none

SUM UP THE DAY: Overall, I feel good about it. Think I coulda done better job with vegetables, but with getting home after my appt,, I was not wanting to take the time to cook them, nor open a can of green beans....lol. Also drank approx. 48 ozs of water, so that's an upside as I'd been so lax about it before starting W30. Pretty proud of myself so far. Accidentally bought non-compliant cashews on Sunday, but exchanged them for compliant ones, so set for a snack if need be. I plan for a morn & afternoon snack (cashews & fruit), just in case the need arises. I didn't need one at either of those times on Day 1, so happy about that.

MEALS, DAY 2, OCTOBER 28TH

BREAKFAST

• Starbucks medium blonde-strength coffee, black

LUNCH

• 2/3 c meatloaf-seasoned ground beef
  • canned green beans
  • banana & cashews

DINNER

• Salad (spring mix, 2 roma tomatoes, 1 medium onion, 2 small avocados, 2/3 c meatloaf-seasoned ground beef, Tessemae's Southwest Ranch Dressing)
  • Banana

WATER

• about 32ozs

EXERCISE

• none

SUM UP THE DAY: Feeling pretty good. I'm noticing that I don't crave "something" a few hours after dinner. Maybe, somehow, my brain is getting "unbored". Boredom is part of the reason I think I ate unneeded food a few hours after dinner, or worse, right before bed. Although for dinner tonite, the salad was BIG & I went past full. I'm learning how much food I really need. FOR MY TRIP TO WHOLE FOODS AFTER WORK, WAS SO EXCITED TO FIND BACON WITHOUT SUGAR & TESSEMAE'S DRESSING!!!!

MEALS, DAY 3, WED. OCTOBER 29TH

BREAKFAST

• Eggs with sweet potato, onion & salsa
  • HEB SanAntonio-flavor coffee, black

LUNCH

• Chicken Salad (HEB canned grilled chicken, homemade mayo, celery, green grapes, pecans)
  • banana & cashews

DINNER

• Chicken Salad & 2 avocados

SUM UP THE DAY: Was feeling kinda tired. Struggling a bit stopping when I'm full of dinner; need to remember to chew slower.

MEALS, DAY 4, THURS. OCTOBER 30TH

POST WORKOUT

• Cashew cookie Larabar
  • Banana
  • Cashews

BREAKFAST

• Eggs with sweet potato, onion, & salsa
  • Starbucks medium blonde-strength coffee, black

LUNCH

• Chicken Salad

DINNER

• Salad (spring mix, 2 roma tomatoes, 1 small-ish onion, 1 small avocado, meatloaf-seasoned ground beef, Tessemae's Southwest Ranch Dressing

EXCERCISE

• Masters' Swim Workout (1500-2000 yards)

SUM UP THE DAY: noticed I was easily sensitive after I was at work this morning. I wonder if it had anything to do with my post workout snack/meal?

Also, my biggest struggle is eating a "bite" right before bed; this night it was a palm-full size bite of chicken salad. It usually happens when I wake up from sleeping in my chair, then decide to go to bed. Instead of going to bed, I go to the fridge. I wonder if I'm "sleep-eating"?

• Moderators

I'm definitely not an expert on workout-related anything, but the usual recommendation for post workout is carbs & protein, no fat (see the meal template for details).  Many people have tuna packed in water or chicken or egg whites and some sweet potato, pumpkin, or butternut squash. Fruit is not recommended. Your post-workout had a lot of fat (a Larabar is mostly nuts & dates, plus you had cashews). Nuts are not considered a complete protein for Whole30 purposes, they're a fat. Plus, Larabars in general are sugar bombs, so you probably also had a sugar spike and then crash, like what would happen if you ate a candy bar, which might explain any moodiness.

Here's what the Official Can I Have list has to say about Larabars: 

Larabars: Read your labels, and use with caution

Most (but not all) varieties of Larabars are acceptable during your Whole30, so read your labels. (The Peanut Butter and Jelly bar is out for obvious reasons.)

Tip: We recommend using Larabars as emergency snacks, or fuel during endurance athletics. They’re as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30 (with dates as a binder), so don’t use them to satisfy sugar cravings. Your brain doesn’t know the difference between a Snickers bar and a Larabar!

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.G0G82XCM.dpuf

So while they're technically compliant, you're really better off limiting them as much as possible.

MEALS, DAY 5, FRI. OCTOBER 30TH

BREAKFAST

• Chicken Salad
  • HEB SanAntonio-flavor coffee, black with coconut milk & cinnamon

LUNCH

• meatloaf-seasoned ground beef with canned cut green beans

DINNER

• Bacon-wrapped Tilapia (yeah, I know now it's not the best kind, and I have 2 more pcs to eat before I buy others)
  • Green beans (warmed in the pan after I took the BWT out....yeah I warmed them in the little bacon grease
  • Applesauce with cinnamon

MEALS, DAY 6, SAT NOVEMBER 1ST

BREAKFAST

• Omelet with tomatoes, onions, peppers & avocado
  • Texas Pecan flavored coffee, black

LUNCH

• Bacon-wrapped tilapia
  • applesauce with cinnamon

DINNER

• Wafer thin boneless pork sirloin chop (dredged with an egg & seasoned almond flour)
  • small salad (greens, onion, tomatoes, Tessemae's Southwest Ranch dressing)

MEALS, DAY 7, SUN NOVEMBER 2ND

BREAKFAST

• 2 eggs with onion & slice of bacon
  • Wafer thin boneless pork sirloin chop (dredged with an egg & seasoned almond flour)

LUNCH

• 1/2 zucchini & 1/2 onion, sauteed & seasoned

DINNER

• 1/2 zucchini & 1/2 onion, sauteed & seasoned
  • Strawberries

SNACK

• slice of breakfast meatloaf

MEALS, DAY 8, MON NOVEMBER 3RD

BREAKFAST

• Chicken Salad

LUNCH

• Chicken Salad

SNACK

• 3 tbl of Macadamia Nuts
  • palm-size serving of mixed nuts, with raisins

DINNER

• Tilapia dredged with egg & seasoned almond flour
  • green beans, seasoned with salt, pepper, italian spices, and Ghee
  • Strawberries

MEALS, DAY 9, TUES NOVEMBER 4TH

BREAKFAST

• 1.25 eggs, with potato, onion, and hot sauce
  • coffee, black

LUNCH

• Chicken Salad

DINNER

• 2 slices breakfast meatloaf
  • medium salad (greens, 2 tomatos, 1/2 medium onion, Tessemae's SW Ranch dressing)

I was REALLY full after dinner; my tummy kinda rumbled a little, so not sure what caused that. Still learning about portions. Because of a Candidate-related Election Day duty, I didn't get home 'til after 7pm, so was probably more hungry, although my tummy wasn't growling. What I put on my plate didn't LOOK like it was TOO much. Although it seems like it may have been too much, just looking at the written words of dinner above makes it seem not so.

MEALS, DAY 11, THUR NOVEMBER 6TH

BREAKFAST

• 1.25 eggs, with potato, onion, and hot sauce
  • 1/2 slice breakfast meatloaf
  • coffee, black

LUNCH

• chicken breast topped with mayo
  • sweet potato with cinnamon
  • onion

SNACK

• palm-size serving of nuts, with raisins

DINNER before the Opera

• Tarragon chicken salad at Wildwood Bakehouse
  • tea & coffee

AT THE OPERA INTERMISSION

• club soda with olives

DINNER after the Opera

• 2 slices of breakfast meatloaf topped with mayo
  • applesauce

I am continually learning about portions, Had my 2nd foray eating out and, as far as I can tell, it went well. As is evidenced by my "after Opera" meal, the serving just wasn't enough. I was HUNGRY 3 hours later, so I ate.

MEALS, DAY 15, MON NOVEMBER 10TH

BREAKFAST

• 2 Chorizo, onion and bell pepper egg "muffins"
  • coffee

LUNCH

• 1/2 Chicken breast
  • sweet potatoe & onion

DINNER

• Chicken breast (marinated in Tessamae's Lemon Garlic dressing/marinade/dip for 1 hour, then cooked 12 hrs in slow cooker....YUMMY)!!!
  • Avocado
  • 1/2 baked potato (with salt & peper & "juice" from the slow cooker....soooo good)!!!
  • apples with a little almond butter, then cashews

MEALS, DAY 16, TUES NOVEMBER 11TH

BREAKFAST

• coffee

LUNCH

• 1/2 Chicken breast
  • sweet potato & onion

DINNER

• Chicken breast
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2 baked potato

SNACK (late in evening :o )

• apples & cashews
  • slice of breakfast meatloaf with mayo

MEALS, DAY 18, THURS NOVEMBER 13TH

BREAKFAST

• coffee

LUNCH

• Chicken breast with buffalo ranch sauce
  • 2 roma tomatoes

DINNER

• Chicken Salad

SNACK

• Cashews (melted a little Ghee, added nuts & salt.....thinking I invented a W30 popcorn :lol: )

Archived