January 5th

Kaatje64

Okee, I need to start my second Whole30.

But since I want to be able to complete is again, I'll start January 5th.

On the 3th we have our New Years Party, the day after there are too many leftovers, so Monday 5th will be a good day to start.

Probably there will be a lot of people starting to eat healthier, so the first days will be easy and after that I know I can do it, same as I did it in October.

Lot of planning and cooking in advance. It works. I look forward to the good sleeping, no more bloated tummy, no more gas.

I hope I can keep it up longer than last time, but this time there will be no pepernoten (a Dutch december treat) to tempt me and lead me to the sugerdragon again.

I'l post my meal photo's on Instagram again and will try to bring more variety in my meals. Fortunately I have the Well Fed cookbooks now before I start. I will cook more from them.

Only one more week!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is already 6 pm and I made it this far on day one.

Meal one was stir fry with beef and meal two, chicken curry with lots of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.

For dinner there will be cod with a bacon/onion/bellpepper and tomato sauce.

Planning to go more strict this time. No coffee, no more stepping on the scale.

More water and exercise than last time.

Difficulty this time are two dinner parties at the end of next week.

After the excess eating in December I find the start more difficult than last time in October

Hi Kaat - I see you started a group for those of us who are starting on Jan. 5th! Thank you!

You sound pretty organized! Well done there. What is the recipe you're looking forward to most for when you have a bit of extra time on the weekend to cook?

This is my second Whole30 as well. First one completed in May. Wheat and cheese are my big problems. And for some reason for the first time ever (I'm 47) chocolate was a big deal for me this holiday season and I had at least one little piece every day at work. Sigh. For years I could go without chocolate for months but this year it was really tough to pass by the chocolate boxes or cakes. Any idea what that might be about? Changing hormones? Oh well a good nutritional reset with Whole30 and that may solve it.

My purpose is to regain the control I had after the May 2014 Whole30, sleep better and trim down a bit. What are you goals?

Susan

How funny Susan, I did my first whole 30 in may also. Well end of may beginning of June. And wow did I sleep so amazing. I can not wait for that to kick in.

Kaat, I am also giving up caffeine and that is a tough one for me. Hopefully I don't bite anyone's head off.

Great to have a support group! Day 2 in the pocket, but I had a huge headache today.

Could be the caffeine or the sugar, but it was horrible. I had no problems last time, so actually I didn't expect this ( bit naive probably :) )

But still went to a yoga class tonight. I promised myself to exercise at least three times a week, so this was a good start.

Breakfast was bolognese with courgette pasta. Lunch the lovely chocolate chile from the Well Fed cookbook. I stil didn't take the time to find more recipe's that I want to make, but I'm going to. 

Looking forward too the sound sleeping in a couple of days as I did in October. And loosing a few pounds won't hurt either :)

But my main goal is to get rid of my need to snack and I hope to keep it up longer than last time. Hopefully I can stay away from the chocolate Easter eggs

Hi Belina - welcome aboard. Is this your first Whole30? Apart from the amazing wellness feeling (and sense of accomplishment) from getting through a Whole30 it is also amazing to find such a supportive community. I'm here for you ...

Kayt - looks like we're travelling roughly the same path. A W30 in May isn and again now. 

Kaat - I hear ya! The morning was great but the afternoon took a turn and I had a headache and even had a mini explosion (over a stupid thing). Headed home early and caught a 20 min nap on the bus and feel better now. BTW: your meals sound amazing!!! My (new) boyfriend is joining me this weekend so I'm looking for any ideas for breakfast for the non W30er. (he's quitting smoking and i'm doing W30 - if we can get through this we should be good to go ;)

About the headache today - I was very surprised to feel so lousy. Only the second day in! Makes me wonder if it is caffeine withdrawal or all the (unusual) sugar I consumed over the holidays. I will note that I took a whole glass of water at one point and it did seem to help.

Day 2 down ladies - day 3 tomorrow. The timeline says we can expect to feel the effects of withdrawal. Oh goodie!!! But it won't last and soon we'll be onto the next phase.

Good night ladies. Good luck tomorrow!

Kayt hang in there. Your flu will be quicker gone when you follow the program. Healthy eating does the trick. If you have a sore throat, salt water might be a solution, not for drinking but to gurgle ( is this proper English?) it kills bacteria and soothes your sinuses.

Good morning ladies,

Belinda, how great starting your day with a workout. Especially during the first days of the Whole 30. Very brave. I had a yoga class last night, I didn't feel like it because of my headache, but I know I always feel better afterwards.

Susan, is your boyfriend into a full English breakfast? You can eat that together. Maybe some extra vegs for you and a bun for him, but that should be no problem?

For dinner I discovered last time, I love all vegetables cooked in the oven. Just put them on a tray, sprinkle with some olive oil and Rosemary, half an hour in the oven, great with meat, chicken or fish. Husband and teenage boys love them as well, so that makes family dinners a lot easier.

Start of day 3, a day at home, which is always more difficult for me than a day at work. No one here and lots of bad eating things. But I can do it. Made a big pot of tea and there is a 1,5 ltr bottle of water on the table.

I've just completed Day 3 on my side of the world... even though the time difference puts me about 1/2 a day ahead, I still get my emails at the same time as you all. So I don't get the "hints and tips" for making it through the day until late-afternoon. And I found today's email pretty relevant to how I'm felling: FLAT!

However this is exactly what the email talks about: "Sleep lots. Take naps. Take time off from the gym, or make it a “half-intensity” week."

Which is what I ended up doing today out of necessity. Soooo tired this morning, I completely overslept! But my body must have needed the rest.  ^_^ 

I can definitely relate to today's email, especially in regards to feeling lethargic and hungry all the time. I wish I'd been able to read it sooner. I love that they recommend power naps during the day... Now, to figure out a way to nap at work   ;) 

So Day 3 in the bag for me... hope none of you experience the lows that I've encountered today. Hopefully the energy levels are back up tomorrow morning and I can make it back to the gym. 

Good luck everyone.

I, too, started on January 5. I have never done a Whole 30, but have done my share of 10 and 21 day cleanses.  I was thrilled to be able to have a cup of tea on the Whole 30 and thought that because of that I would not suffer headaches, fatigue, or any of the other issues I have encountered on cleanses.  I was stunned this morning to wake up with a headache this morning that made me feel like I had been out last night partying like it was the 70's! :) It is helpful to know that others are experiencing the same thing.

Kaat, your Instagram is private.  Would you mind if I started following you?

I started January 5th too! I'm a little late to the party haha. Great to see everyone is doing well so far! I've experienced headaches and fatigue for sure. I'm not getting sick of my meals yet though and don't have many cravings or appetite. Probably because I'm super bloated :/

Hi all. Started on the 5 th as well. Day 3 started poorly. Didn't sleep well the night before, tired, achy, and kinda emotional today. HOWEVER, I'm feeling strong in terms of my commitment. I figure this is part of the detox and detox is good. Tonight i have leftovers for dinner so I could spend lots of time making mayo, spice blends, chicken salad.guac, and stuff. Felt good to get some of that done. I love reading thru the 1/5/15 starters as we are all experienceing so many of the same things. Good night all. Sweet dreams of spaghetti squash.

My big news is that my husband may be going on a business trip to Germany on the 31st of January and would like me to come along.   :unsure: He asked if I could just end the Whole 30 a few days early.  I cannot; I made a commitment to myself.  So, if he goes, do I stay home or try to vacation in another country on the program?  I would be eligible for a beer the day we would be coming home.

Hi cookin'mama,

Why can't you do both? And go to Germany and stick to the program?

You probably have to pack some things for on the plane, but in any hotel you can get bacon and eggs for breakfast and fresh fruit to go with it. On any vacation you have to find the right things to eat.

Here in Holland day 4 has just started. I made the Shepard's pie last night from the Well Fed cookbook, so I have something different for lunch today and something easy for dinner on Friday.

Good luck for everyone today!

Thanks Kaat for the recipe - will give it a go. 

Congrats everyone on making it thru day 3.

I'm pleased that day 2 headache didn't return for long and I wasn't really all that hungry today (a little worried what that will mean tomorrow and if it will catch up to me then) and with a super full day only got in two meals (did manage to get in two walk/runs with the dog however and loved that!).

The great sleeping should be kicking in soon. Anyone finding they are sleeping better already?

Peace n Love and rock it on day 4!

(Also anyone know why my pic not showing up? It's there on my profile?)

Hi all. Surprisingly, Day 4 has been a bit kinder to me than Day 3. I actually feel normal!

Cookin'mama - I vote you go on the trip with your husband! You will be so close to the end of the program and it sounds like a great oppertunity! :D

Glad to hear some of you are sleeping well. A good night's rest is still something I am struggling to find. Hopefully this will change as I progress through the program.

My first challenge will be this weekend: I am going to a birthday BBQ. Fortunately, my friend Chloe (who is also undertaking the Whole30) is hosting. We have been discussing some BBQ friendly whole30 food and drink. So I think between the two of us, we will survive!

I think I'm more worried about the questions: "why aren't you drinking" and "why aren't you eating the food?". I hate that conversation, it is usually met with sooo much judgement and opinion.

Hope everyone's Day 4 gets off to a good start. Mine is almost at it's end. :lol:

Hi everyone,

I'm another Jan 5 starter. Hope it's ok to join this thread.

This is my first whole30 and I'm doing it to get some more energy and generally be a better mum to my 4yo son.

As I'm in NZ I've just had dinner on day 4 and I'm feeling pretty good. Tired, and I've put that down to 2 really late nights, but reading your comments wonder if there is something more to it.

One thing I've been worried about is I'm not a great cook and have so far just had salads, grilled meat, steamed veggies and eggs. But tonight when I got home I started cooking up some onions, garlic and mince. I then thought I'll put in some spices - some of which I've had unopened for years due to how little I cook. Before I knew it I'd added tomatoes, coconut milk and some diced potato and had myself an awesome curry from scratch - my first ever. Super yummy.

My son doesn't tend to eat what I'm having and but I thought it was because he's 4 and difficult as well as my habit of grazing rather than eating a proper meal. I was really surprised tonight when he said he was still hungry after his dinner and asked for an orange (rather than the chips, biscuits/cookies, chocolate that he normally would). He followed that up with another orange and a banana. It's really illustrated to me that this is the right thing to be doing for him and me, as I wasn't aware how much I was influencing what he was eating (silly I know). I've still got those treats in the house, just out of sight so as not to tempt me, but he's not even asking for them. It's been an eye opener for me and increases my motivation even more.

Hope your day 4s are going as well

Rachel

I started Jan 5th as well.  This is my 2nd Whole30, I don't know why but it feels more difficult this time around.  I've had a particularly stressful week (had a co-worker/ friend pass away earlier this week) and it is so cold here in Canada I just want to eat and eat and eat.  I'm hanging in there, mainly because I know i will hate myself if I slip,  But I breezed through my 1st week of my 1st whole 30 so well (no headaches, very little need to kill all things) this is feeling really tough right now.  I'm going to go home this afternoon and cook a roast, and make some chicken zucchini noodle soup (what I feel with ease my need for comfort food right now).  Anyone else having a harder time this time around?

Hi Leatherhees,

Welcome to the group. I think for everyone it is though this time. Maybe because it is the second time, or maybe because it is just after all the indulgences of December. I eat three hot meals a day, all comforting and sometimes spicy. That works for me now.

This group is from all over the world so you can always get support.

We can do it!

Day 4 has been more normal for me too! 

I'm definitely realizing though that I'm going to have to add more variety to my meals in order to stay on track. I just started following whole30recipes on instagram for some inspiration. I also saw an awesome recipe for sweet potato noodles that I may have to try. The hardest part is trying not to snack! I'm a total snacker. Adding more fat into my meals has helped enormously though and drinking lots of tea :)

So happy I have this thread to follow! 

Archived