wulfie's W30/W60 + Reintro - Starting January 1st

wulfie

~Day 0~

This will be my third (I think) Whole30.  Although I'm not into the New Year's resolution thing, I chose to start January first because I felt it would be easiest for me.  I've had problems in the past with sticking to the W30 rules, and felt that it would be best to have as much support as possible...so why not do it when a bunch of other people are?   :)

I've been eating fairly clean for the past couple of months.  I started back at CrossFit in November, after having been away from it for about three months.  I've experienced a better balance in my appetite and have been more interested in foods that are good for me.  However, I want to step things up in the gym and get back to where I was about a year and a half ago when I was able to go to the gym five days a week, do kipping and strict pull-ups, ring dips, and push press 95#.

Also, I've been having some issues with my foot that was caused by incorrect footwear at my job.  I hope to get this resolved by being on an anti-inflammatory diet.

My goal for this W30 is to write something in this log everyday.   ;)

Generally, I prefer not to weigh myself or take measurements (as I will often obsess over numbers), but I thought for this W30 it would be a good idea.

Weight:  159 lbs.

Measurements:  30/40 in.

~~

~Preparation~

"First, write down every potential stressful, difficult, or complicated situation you may encounter during your Whole30. These may include business lunches, family dinners, travel plans, a long day at work, birthday parties, holiday celebrations, or office gatherings." - via http://whole30.com/step-four-veteran/

If I am invited out to dinner, then I will suggest a restaurant that has compliant options or ask if I can cook.

If I become bored with what I've been eating, then I will check Nom Nom Paleo's site for a new meal.

If I don't think I can do it anymore, then I will jump on here and put out an S.O.S.

My three quick and easy “go-to” meals:

1) canned tuna with salt, pepper, and homemade mayo; sautéed green beans, and a piece of fruit

2) frittata with whatever veggies are available in the fridge

3) Primal Pac

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yeah crossfit :)  Are you going to do any benchmarks lifts or WODs pre and post?  It would be interesting to see how keeping xfit wods constant (your normal gym, same # classes per week, etc) but eating cleaner effects performance.  

Can I join you too? This is not really a resolution thing for me either but I have been eating pure crap this last month because of the holidays that I want to detox my body.

Since I am work I have not measured myself but I will do that today!!

Also, I desperately need support because 30 days can be a very long time when your in this on your own.

Yeah crossfit :)  Are you going to do any benchmarks lifts or WODs pre and post?  It would be interesting to see how keeping xfit wods constant (your normal gym, same # classes per week, etc) but eating cleaner effects performance.  

littleg,

I'm not sure if I will be able to do that, thought it's an awesome idea!  I'm currently visiting family out of state, but will be back home for the last week of my W30...so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the post-W30 WOD at my home gym.  /:  However, in the past when I've done W30s and been going to the gym on a regular basis, I notice a HUGE difference in my performance.  Though it would be cool to say I shaved two minutes off my Fran time or something like that!  heehee   ;)

Can I join you too? This is not really a resolution thing for me either but I have been eating pure crap this last month because of the holidays that I want to detox my body.

Since I am work I have not measured myself but I will do that today!!

Also, I desperately need support because 30 days can be a very long time when your in this on your own.

Hi, missyf75!

You're more than welcome to join me!  It's cool that you just want to detox (I know how that goes!).

Have you checked out this thread for the January Whole30ers?  I'm sure they will be excellent for support.  You can join me there as well if you'd like...just say hi and let everyone know what you're up to.   :D

~Day 1~

So far so good!

My mom (rebec55) is joining me on this W30, so this morning for breakfast we tried out the new cast iron skillet I got her for Christmas.  We shredded a white potato, and tossed it in the skillet with some ghee, six eggs, and Paleo Spice.  It was pretty good and very filling.

We then put some sauerkraut and pork chops in the CrockPot for dinner, and went to a local farm and bought a bunch of produce.  When we got back, we made some awesome mayo and turned some of it into a salad dressing with horseradish mustard and coconut vinegar.  Yum yum!

~Day 2~

Today has been nice.  Worked out this morning (pretty tired after!), then went to the preserve and walked/ran the trails.  Found a really cool trail with a ton of close hills that you can run up and down.  Didn't feel hungover today, but had a rumbly tummy a few times.

Had eggs, zucchini, and watermelon for a small breakfast before the gym, a small Primal Pac after, leftover beef curry with kelp noodles and salad for lunch, and leftover porkchops and sauerkraut (and kale and potatoes) for dinner.

P.S.  White potato with ghee, salt, garlic powder, and homemade mayo is flipping fantastic!

I'm doing a Whole 30 this January with my mom too. :) And I must say, mayo on a potato is unexpected but it does sound fantastic! I'm totally going to try that.

Great job so far, and on the workout this morning and then walking/running/exploring the trails. That sounds lovely!

~Day 3~

Today's been good!  Did a ridiculous WOD this morning (see attached photo), then did some veggie shopping with a fellow CrossFitter, then had an awesome lunch.  Had a few sugar cravings yesterday, but nothing scary; and after today's workout, I'm sure I won't be craving anything but rest for awhile.

Now it might be nap time.

Btw, mayo + garlic powder + coconut vinegar + olive oil = WAY AWESOME SALAD DRESSING

~~

That upside-down cupcake in the Day 3 e-mail ALWAYS makes me want cupcakes.  Ugh.

post-57719-0-68498800-1420315871_thumb.j

• Whole30 Certified Coach

That looks like a good WOD... If you like barbell complexes this is a good one:

High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Push Press
High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Push Jerk
High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Split Jerk

I've seen variations on it, I usually do 5 rounds, building each round.  You do NOT put the bar down though between the first HHSC and the last split jerk.  Gets tough!

That looks like a good WOD... If you like barbell complexes this is a good one:

High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Push Press

High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Push Jerk

High Hang Squat Clean + Hang Squat Clean + Squat Clean + Split Jerk

I've seen variations on it, I usually do 5 rounds, building each round.  You do NOT put the bar down though between the first HHSC and the last split jerk.  Gets tough!

That sounds intense!  Anything with the barbell is usually fun.  heehee  Yesterday's WOD was pretty crazy, but I def felt good after.   ;)

~Day 4~

Woke up early (around 7a.m.) without an alarm this morning.   :D  Had a weird/scary dream though, so that's really what woke me up.  lol  But I don't feel awful after yesterday's workout, so I think that's a good sign.

~~

Felt pretty good today, though got kinda tired when I went on a walk with a friend.  We jogged for a bit and that seemed to make me feel better, though I wasn't able to jog for long.

~Day 5~

Last night I went to bed a bit later than I have been (~10:30), and woke up slightly later than normal.  Today I feel a little blah, so not sure if it's the change in bed times, or if it's because I didn't foam roll or MELT at all yesterday, or if it's just Day 5.   :rolleyes:

~~

Def felt tired after lunch today, and was pretty dead at the work out this afternoon.  It was a weird kinda dead though...weird as in burpees-seemed-easy-but-everything-seemed-hard.

Weird.

~Day 6~

Had a dream about cheating and eating candy last night.  lolwut.  Also, SO TIRED today.   :blink:   Went to the gym though and that woke me up, but it was def difficult.

50 sit-ups

15 kbs

1 ten foot rope climb

Did a Whole Foods run today and wasn't at all tempted by sugary things; no cravings whatsoever.  :D

~Day 7~

Whoa Day 7!!  Woke up at six-something today...that's kinda early for me.  Today is a rest day, and plan on going to bed at a decent hour again tonight.  Feeling pretty good, not too tired.

~~

Feel pretty good still, but def got tired after lunch.  Glad I took today off of the gym!

~Day 8~

One week down!  Yesssssss.  Woke up before seven again today.  Definitely like this part of the Whole30.   :D  I already feel that I have a more positive outlook, my blood sugar is more stable, and that I'm more interested in eating delicious healthy foods than junk foods!

~~

Made the ISWF salmon cakes today (see attached lunch photo).  So excite!

~~

Got a massage today as a reward for finishing a week of W30.   :)

post-57719-0-30783800-1420746593_thumb.j

~Day 9~

Woke up before seven again!  Was a little tired when I woke up, but ate later than normal last night...?  I don't yet find myself hungry in the mornings.  I usually finish dinner by seven or eight, so have 12-ish hours to get hungry again and I feel like my hormones are getting petty regulated.  Maybe it'll catch up by the end of the program.  Also, I feel leaner already and my skin looks really good, and I had good energy all day yesterday!   :D

~~

Kinda stressful morning...  My car is slightly really broken, and I had to take her to the shop this morning, then sat at the dealership for four hours.  Got some reading done, but had a non-conventional lunch of a small Primal Pac and Rx Bar.  lol  Also still feel pretty tired.  Maybe the gym will wake me up.   ;)

~Day 11~

Had a good sleep last night; went to bed around nine, and slept 'til seven.   :)  Gotta make some food stuffs for the week...Brussels sprouts and sweet potato casserole.   :D

~~

Ended up making paleo pad thai instead today.  Pretty dang good!  Also went on a beach walk with my mom and dog, and a hike in the preserve and saw a coral snake!

Got really tired after the beach and realized how thirsty I was...perked back up once I drank a bunch of water(!)

~Day 12~

Feeling kinda...off...today.  Just sorta tired, though I've been sleeping 8+ hours every night and eating a lot of good food.  I think it may just be stress.  Yay stress.   <_<

~~

Oh haha, today's e-mail.

~Day 13~

Still waking up tired, even after a lot of sleep.  /:  But my skin looks really good and my work outs have been decent.  lol  My mood is a bit more stable, but no tiger blood or unexplained happiness yet.

~~

One of the problems I have with sticking to the W30 is boredom.  There are several foods (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) that I just don't like...they simply won't go down.  This causes me issues when trying to find new things to eat.  But today, I had a breakthrough in food boredom.  I had very simple ingredients (mustard, EVOO, apple cider vinegar, left-over chicken, bacon, and lettuce) that I transformed into an AWESOME meal.  It was so easy...and when I started, I thought it was going to be a boring meal...but with some tweaks and advice from a foodie friend, it turned out deelish!   :D

~Day 14~

Went to bed a bit later than normal last night, but woke up around 6:30...mmmkay.

I've found that not doing anything while I'm eating sometimes makes me eat faster because I want to get to checking my e-mail or answering texts or whatever.  Ha!  Also, I feel like things are going smoothly with creating meals and knowing what I have to eat in the house, but I'm kinda ready to be done.  lol

~~

Oh!  Yesterday I got my first proper wall walk at the gym!!

~Day 16~

Had a scary dream that my teeth were falling out last night because of not eating well.  I feel pretty good after yesterday's WOD of turkish get-ups and running though!

The inflammation all over my body has gone down...I can tell in my hands, my face, and my belly.  I think my face actually looks kinda different (and I see it everyday!).

Archived