Day 1; meal 1: lactating mom

Hi, am just checking in to find an acctblty partner (everyone in my personal life has seen me gain/ lose so often: that they now seem

Numb!)

I am a lactating mom and today was my day 1.

Had burger, broccolli, sweer potato and olive oil drizzled on later 2 items....

Anyone have thoughts?

I'm just starting today (Jan 2) and am a nursing mom myself. My husband isn't participating and though I have lots of support, I would love to have an accountability partner who is also nursing.

Just on day one, I've discovered that the no snacking rule simply cannot apply to me. I found some info in the forums that agreed with this, so it's not cheating, thank goodness! There's no way I can go 5-6 hours between meals while nursing and pumping,

Day 1 - Spinach/avocado/salsa omlet for breakfast and avocado, tomatoes, spinach and tuna for lunch with olive oil, S&P. A couple dried figs and kiwi for "dessert".

I am on day 2 today. I have a small group of people from my gym that are doing the Whole30 together but I am the only bfing mom. You're welcome to join us if you'd like :) So far it has been a great group for support!

Im also bfeeding.  I have done paleo months before, but this is my first W30.  I was on day 4 today, however at work (a restaurant) the owner wanted me to try  one of the specials.  Out of habit I tried a bite, then immediately realized it was not W30 compliant.  The bummer is that I didn't even like it.  Lesson learned! Back to day 1. 

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one starving between meals!

I found a blog on the site theclothesmakethegirl.com.  There are several great weekly shopping guides as well as recipes and how to make all the recipes for the week in one day!  I tried 5 of the recipes so far and have loved every one of them!

I'm before my 8 month old...prior to baby I had been nearly 100% paleo compliant but that tanked with pregnancy. I am just starting to gear up for my first whole30. I hope for Saturday to be my day 1. I'm SO glad for an online support group!!

On day 3, nursing mama here. Ive noticed that I need to plan snacks out. If I have a few things on hand I'm ok. Sweet potatoes are always baked and in the fridge ready to go. Those have been helpful along with canned tuna, apples and almond butter and raw nuts. I haven't noticed any change in supply, but I don't pump so it's hard to tell I suppose.

My supply has def dropped by abt an ounce on each breast... But my daughter is 15mnths, so i'm ok w her having 'less' milk n 'more' foid...

Im Going strong on day 8... Seeing a great boost in energy, as i wake up before the clock every morning! (Was never the case before)....

Also survived a stare down between me n some dark choco: i won- yay!!!!

All the best to everyone out there!

HI! I'm on day 5 and BF-ing a 3 month old. I work during the day so have to pump 2-3 times. My supply dropped a lot by day 3. Luckily, I have a lot of milk in the freezer as I always did an extra pump in the mornings when I was home on leave.  I'll see if it goes back up. 

I'd echo the point that I really need to eat a lot. I tracked my calories one day and had already eaten 1500 by lunch. I'm sure I was into the 2000-2500 range by the time I went to bed. I hear things like bf-ing moms need an extra 300 calories a day and I just laugh. I think it's closer to 1000 for me! Anyway, the W30 isn't about calories or tracking and that's what I like. I like the simplicity of just following the basic rules. So far it's been easy but I haven't had to encounter any social events or other normal challenges yet (or even a weekend!) 

Hi I'm on Day 4 nursing a 15 month old.  Yeah the whole no snacking thing is bs.  I feel like I'm going to vomit if I don't eat when I'm nursing.  I totally under anticipated the amount of food I would need too but, next week should be better.  Loving sweet potatoes and avocados.  

• Moderators

You all seem to have a pretty good handle on things, but in case anyone is wondering -- snacking is absolutely allowed, and encouraged, for nursing mothers.

See this thread where Melissa Hartwig herself addresses this issue, or google Whole30 forum breastfeeding if you want to see more past discussions.

Day 3 just started for me - I have noticed about .5 Oz drop in bmilk production so far, but I also firmly believe that the body is capable of keeping my supply at a sufficient level. I couldn't do this without snacking - nuts, seeds, banana etc. I made some sausage patties last night for easy breakfasts, that has helped a lot!! Throw an egg on top et voila :)

Archived