Slaying the Sugar Dragon- 2

zBeverly

Funny how when you set your mind and heart to something, powerful things can happen.  Believe.  Thinking it doesn't make it so but believing with action and committment?  Watch for results!

Started W30 yesterday but missed cutoff for W30 Daily on the 31st (thank you wifi and getting to it late) so today is a new Day 1.  Yesterday was a dress rehearsal or I'm really doing a W31.   :)

I've been reading, "It Starts With Food."  So helpful for me in setting my commitment.  Helps me understand the why on a lot of things.  Helps me understand that it makes sense to give my high performance machine premium gas and a bit of maintenance.  It's reinforcing what I've been learning from other sources and mulling over the last year or so.  It brings home the point that this is not a diet but a doorway, a guide, to feeding the most amazing thing ever created (a once in a lifetime creation)...my body.  

Today is about going to work a couple hours, setting goals (SMART!), making my 1 week meal plan/grocery lists and grocery shopping.  I joined Green Bean Delivery (and they have way more than green beans!) so a bunch of organic greens arrived at my door on the 31st.  Am happy about that decision. 

Progress, not perfection...Beverly

Today was a bad, bad day.  Food wise?  Good all things considered, except didn't get lunch bcs didn't plan (or plan didn't go as I planned).  Stuck to program though.  Thought it was a great day for beer...yeah...hahaha, for someone else.  I had licorice tea.  

Me too (and you're in a good area for beer Ann, to be sure!).

Jan 3

Not bad today, a mild headache off/on and cold/hot for symptoms.  Did some restocking of spices, need a few more.  Was disappointed in Trader Joe's.  Most of their labeled goods had sugar and/or soy.  Some with a few other unpronounceable ingredients.  But, hey, it was Organic.  Very eye opening to realize that everything I saw as food was really a 'food-like substance,' as Michael Pollan calls it.   But they say, Natural (the most used label) or Organic and have beautiful pictures on them.  So I bought some frozen veggies to have on hand for something quick, a couple different wild-caught fish (one as steaks and the other pieces for 'stew'-type something yet to be determined).  I used my ground beef/lamb mixture this morning and tonight.  Tonight I made a veggie-beef/lamb marinara with (one of the products that fit) and served over zoodles I sautéed till hot.  My first attempt at zoodles and I was pleased.  Was full after lunch of salmon/veggies and half grapefruit but hungry by the time I ate dinner.  About 5 hours apart.  Tempted to snack but just kept busy. 

Feeling some headaches and some aching but otherwise detox going strong.  Feeling strong.  Ready for a hot soaking bath tonight.  Cooked a bunch yesterday.  Food under control and on track.  Husband thinks my cooking was better when I "was eating."  I'm eating a lot more than I used to (except for my overcarbsumptions through the Holidays).  :)

Day 5....OOOOOPS.  I'm starting over tomorrow because I ingested milk kefir by licking the big spoon (I still make it for our dogs).  Lesson learned...don't lick the spoon (or your fingers-learned vicariously through someone else on fb).  Many ppl say it was a small mistake you don't have to start over.  I'm thinking I do. Some, even a tinsy bit, isn't NO.  If a moderator reads this and wants to correct me, then fine but not what I'm thinking will happen.  :)  Yesterday, corned beef (albeit fresh made with love and no nitrites, so whew!).  Today, kefir.  Gotta get my water kefir going and veggies!  Cooked some more tonight: boiled chicken so I have a couple cups of broth, meat do do a chicken salad and some I added to my dinner salad tonight.  Made tomorrow's M2, zoodles with the rest of my meat marinara.  Think I'm going to go back and write down what I've been eating for ideas when I need them.  Going to make some deviled eggs with my homemade mayo (woot, woot--got it right the first try!).  So call this, now, my W35.  Detox should be pretty easy these next five days compared to the first five (which, really weren't so bad).  I'm very tired, a bit of a headache off n on still.  Not a bad one.  I've had those.  Stopped/limited greatly caffeine before I started so didn't have to fight that battle.  Today I forgot to get a coffee...WHAT?   <_<

On track.  Feel like I'm eating more than ever, a real 3 meals a day.  So far no starving or cravings (a hint of a want earlier tonight but nothing bad).  I'm dumbfounded quite frankly.  Getting tired around 10 for bedtime too.  Got the 'since you're not eating' reference from my dear husband again.  I think he means I'm not eating the way I/we used to because I'm eating.  Today's meals were:

M1 2 eggs with wilted baby spinach with fresh lemon, a bit of sweet potato/beet combo I baked in the oven drizzled with olive oil on Sunday

M2 1 good sized zucchini worth of zoodles covered with extra meat marinara (beef/lamb ground) and a glass of veggie juice I blended (kale, spinach, collards 3 sections of grapefruit and a few frozen cherries).  (I know we don't drink our food but I enjoy a glass of veggie juice.)

M3 pot roast, broccoli with clarified butter and Himalayan sea salt, and a big salad with jacinto kale, bok choy, romaine, r/g/y peppers, cucumber, a wee sprinkle of chia and olive oil/white balsamic vinegar.

Explained what I'm doing to someone today, my dearest Aunt/second Mom, who told me it sounded hard but knows I can do what I set my mind to do and to trust myself.  So sweet!  She is my rock.

Archived