January 2015- Whole 30 Log

SheilaT

For the month of January, I am committing to eating clean, healthy, nutritious foods.  I actually began the practice a few months ago and began to gradually eliminate grains, bread, rice and pasta from my diet since October 2014.  

However, I did kept to my dairy and some sweets.  Sweets are my weakness and I love having those International Delight Creamers with my coffee in the mornings.  When I embarked on the full whole30 commitment, I had been drinking tea since January first.  I made a mistake with one ingredient on my seasonings which contains sulfites so I had to re-do my day 1 again and today would be officially my Day1.

I hadn't consumed coffee since the January 1 and today, I feel like I am going through withdrawals...Probably caffeine withdrawals and sugar withdrawals.  I feel dizzy, and sad, and angry and that chocolate cravings start to kick in.  However, I am remaining strong in not consuming refined and processed sugars for the next 30 days and the goal is for life.  Maybe... Occasional once in a very blue moon deal.

Any insights on how to handle withdrawals?  

Thank you Tom.  I realized I wasn't drinking a lot of water.  I made a goal to drink lots of water daily.  I had the worse headache today.. probably the result of Caffeine and sugar withdrawals.

I am giving myself a pat on the shoulder as there were Fererro Rocher and Russel Stover chocolates and I was strong enough to resist the sugar.  I did it with Day 1 today.

Day 2 was a success.  I did not feel any withdrawal symptoms, just slightly dizzy and I made sure I drank lots of water today.  One thing I wondered, I am eating all my meals with Paleo compliant ingredients and it's great that it's keeping me full for a long time.  However, I find I am only eating two meals a day.  We are encouraged to eat three meals.

Today I ate at 9:30am, Meal 1, had a snack (banana) at 3:12 pm, I was slightly hungry but not really and dinner time, 6:00pm, Meal 2 and I was hungry.  It is now late in the evening where I am located, 9:30 pm and I am not hungry anymore.  I don't really want to eat before bedtime.

Do I need to make adjustments so to make sure I eat three meals per day?

My meals today were:

Meal 1

- Sauteed vegetables (garlic, bell peppers, broccoli and carrots), in coconut oil and seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, oregano and basil and malt vinegar).  I mixed in ground turkey.

-Tea

Snack:  Banana

Meal 2

-sauteed vegetables (garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots) in coconut oil and seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasonings,basil and malt vinegar)

-1 piece of chicken wings

-1/4 size of pork

I am not necessarily following recipes online yet.  I hope that this is a good start.  I am very open to suggestions!

Blessings,

Sheila

Day 3

I want to start out this entry by sharing that I had a nightmare earlier this morning.  In this dream, I ate two of the ferrerro rocher chocolates and that I messed up and had to re-start my Whole30 all over again.  I am glad to wake up knowing it was just a dream.  I made it through today.  One of the things I was concerned about was my workplace and concerned whether I would succumb to the temptation.  

We have three birthdays this month and today, in the back room table, they had red-velvet cake, fried rice, potato salad with some kind of mayonnaise dressing, broccoli mixed with some dressing that probably has sugar, pulled pork which was probably marinated in some sauce with sugar--all non-Paleo compliant.  I took one look and left.

I was successful with my Day 3, I ate and prepared healthy meals with lots of vegetables, smaller portions of meat and fruit.  I have been cooking with Coconut oil and it makes the dish tasty and delicious!  Additionally, I exercised for one hour today, walking.

I made sure I had three meals today and ate smaller portions.   So far so good and I am looking forward to how my body adjust in the next month and the transformation I will go through.  As part of this program, I also took a break from wearing make up, I want to help detox my pores as well.

I just need to make sure I drink more fluids.

Have a good night and see you tomorrow.

Day 4

So far, so good.  I was worried about the kind of food I ordered for lunch with my friend.  I stuck to my diet by ordering Soup, where the broth was made from scratch and requested to have no noodles, just meat and vegetables.  I finally bought the coconut aminos, though it was a bit pricey, anything to help keep on this path of eating.

Finished the first week of the Whole30:

Great first week so far.  I made the right food choices and enjoyed cooking my meals from fresh ingredients that are Paleo compliant.  This week some of my challenges were withdrawals... mostly from coffee and sugar.  I went through headache one day and dizziness the next couple of days and subsided later in the week.  I did thought about my coffee and having them with some creamer with lots of probably unhealthy fat and sugar... I was thinking one of those International Delight Brand kind of creamer.  I didn't have any this week, but they were on my mind.  I also had a dream about ferrero chocolates (I know... terrible isn't it?) I love both Lindt and Ferrero Chocolates!!  However, in spite of fantasizing about sweets and having dreams about them, I stuck to drinking tea and lots of water only.  

In the beginning of the program, I found myself only eating two meals per day, my reason was if I wasn't hungry, I don't want to eat.  However, the point of Whole30 is to have a balanced three meals a day.  I realized I was eating a slightly large portion on my meals and when I tweaked it to smaller portions, I was able to get satiated longer, for about 4 - 5 hours and then, eat.  I liked that better.  The meals I was preparing myself, though most are not from the recipes yet... are delicious.  My intent was to not be afraid to eat clean and to do my very best to consume lots more vegetables.  I have plenty of the ingredients that are Paleo compliant, and this week, I purchased Coconut Aminos.  It tasted so delicious with my Sauteed broccoli and beef last night.  Why should I ever use soy sauce again?

As part of the Whole30, I also took a break from wearing make-up.  I am one who doesn't really like to go out in public unless I wear a little make-up.  In addition to ditching the scale, creamer and sugars, I also ditched the make-up for the duration of the Whole30 Program.  I have some acne issues and I was curious if my skin would clear up as well.  I finished the Whole30 week 1 successfully and I intend to continue successfully in the program.

As part of the Whole30, I also took a break from wearing make-up.  I am one who doesn't really like to go out in public unless I wear a little make-up.  In addition to ditching the scale, creamer and sugars, I also ditched the make-up for the duration of the Whole30 Program.  I have some acne issues and I was curious if my skin would clear up as well.  I finished the Whole30 week 1 successfully and I intend to continue successfully in the program.

Ooh, bold move. I like it--you have so much more courage than I do. How's that going? Is it super weird?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chocoholic382 (I like your name, I love chocolates too LOL).  Thank you... yes, I feel like my skin cleared up and we are nearing the end of week 3 of the Whole30 program.  At first I was very self-conscious going out in public, going to work, and going to grocery shop without make-up, but I stopped caring what others think and cared more about how I feel and what i think of myself.  

I noticed a significant change in my body, energy, and my complexion by week 2/12 of eating clean.  Thank you for your compliment and good luck with your Whole30 as well.  

Update Week 2 and week 3,

By the end of week 2, a few things I noticed were my allergy and asthma issues.  It appears that the allergy had calmed down a lot more with eating clean consistently and using ingredients that are paleo compliant--no added sugar and other additives such as MSG.  The challenge for me was in understanding and  knowing how to read labels and catching the sneaky names for sugars.  I have not yet learned other names for MSG, for now, to be on the safe side, if I wasn't sure, I didn't buy the product or particular seasonings, to stay true to the program.  In preparing my food, I have stuck to different spices that are available thankfully in our local market in bulk and have enjoyed preparing nutritious, delicious meals using different spices available at my disposal.  Another improvement I noticed is a glow in my complexion.  My facial skin are a lot less oily and had cleared up.  It maybe due to eating clean and holding off on wearing make-up, which helped my facial skin to detox as well.

The end of week two I had three tooth extracted and regardless of the circumstance, I am committed to sticking with the Whole30 program.  Though I got sick the first few days after extraction and hard to chew some foods, I had to make adjustments towards week 3 of my meals.  I ate mostly broth with tender meat that's been cooked for hours in the crock pot and it was hard to chew some vegetables and therefore, I reduced my vegetable consumption for a few days and ate a little bit more bananas, three a day, since it is easier to bite into and chew.  I incorporated vegetables back again into my meals slowly and increasingly, even if it took an hour to finish a healthy meal.  

The challenge I had the last two weeks were again, the cravings for chocolates, sweets, sugars and missing coffee with creamer.  While I am aware of the cravings and the trickery of my mind, I did not give in to its demands (sweets).  I find it interesting that the mind is very attached to sugars for immediate gratification.  As we approach week 4, I have come to accept that it may take more than 30 days to tame my chocolate mind, :D  :lol:   So far with the Whole30 program, I believe I will continue to form habit of eating consciously and mindfully. continue to learn to read labels and discern what really is healthy for us to consume versus the pseudo-healthy types of food.

Archived