Over 60, seeking compatriots, ready to do this

Suzette

Hello to everyone from New England!  I am beginning my second whole 30, but the first whole 30 didn't really count as I lasted about five days.  However, I learned a lot, and have dialed down my sugar and grain consumption in the past 6 months, so I am optimistic that this whole 30 will be better.

My official start date is January 5, but I actually started on January 1.  From the 1st to the 5th, I am eating only whole 30 foods, but not sticking to the three meals a day yet.  I thought I would start by cleaning up for a few days, and then starting up the structure. I know snacks are allowed, but since I am a grazer, this is tough for me. And, I am currently eating more fruit than I perhaps should, but I will cut back on that starting tomorrow.

Today is day 4, and I feel pretty bad--achy, didn't sleep well, lethargic, blah.  Of course, it could be this grey weather!  But, I suspect it is some detox and withdrawal going on.

Over 60 means slow weight loss, I suspect, but I do have a lot of muscle, walk my dog about 5 miles a week, and generally stay active.

My goals:  less aches in my knees, 5+ pounds gone in a month, less grazing, better sleep, and more energy. 

Any compatriots out there?

Hi Suzette, I am 61 and starting my first w30 on the 5th as well.  I think Im ready...as ready as you can be going into the unknown.  I have been gluten free for a long time, but not dairy free.  I also did paleo once for awhile....and it did feel good to me, but I didn't stick with it for long.  I am hoping this structure and support helps.  Plus, I really want to see if my arthritis and thyroid issues improve, along with some weight loss of course.  

The hardest part for me will be to NOT go on the scale....but I know it's important not to do that.  It does affect my head and that's just silly, but true.  So, I am also on a scale diet.  ha ha....good luck to you and all.

Hello Suzette and welcome! I belong to the 60+ group (I will be 67 yy this month!) Please come and join us. Maturity has advantages.

Age is just a number, the question is "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were!"

Hope to see/read you soon.

Hi! I'm not over 60 but give great props to you!  My Mom and Dad are in their mid 60's and I was hoping they would join me for a W30 but they wouldn't.  I know their health would improve greatly if they just tried for a short while to see what clean eating feels like.  Just to see, as an experiment, the difference it makes in how you feel and how you move through the world.

Congrats to you for taking good care of yourself :)

I am 67 year old young man  living in NE Washington and starting Whole 30 for the first time.  I am very physically active, actually at my weight level, but a sugar addict. I love to xc ski, fly fish, hike, bike, etc.  All the inputs I have seen appear to be women.  I love women, am married to one, but are there any other men out there around my age that are starting the program?  We guys are from Mars and I need to find another Martian to share my story with and am want to be a listener as well.  If you are out there, let me know.  I started this with my wife with the goal, actually to sleep better.  The night before i started, I ate a lot of junk at a party on New Years Eve and tossed and turned all night.  I am on DAY 2 as of today, Sunday Jan 5th.  IF there are enough guys we could start our own heading, call it DADS - Dedicated And Doing Super or create another tag line!  I am also open to sharing with anyone on this thread as your stories and words are motivating.  If any women are out there who have a husband who needs someone to share with about his journey with a Whole30 women, welcome him to join on in.  I'm sure we can learn something from each other. 

Healthy New Year

• 7 months later...

Archived