Day 4, feeling strong, but anticipating a challenge tonight

etak

Holy grass-fed cow, you guys, day 18!  (For the Jan 1 starters).   How is this even possible!!?  :)  I cannot say I've necessarily experienced 'tiger blood' yet (maybe a glimpse here and there), but I do believe that my body shape and composition are changing, my mood is generally better (especially in the mornings.  It is so, so refreshing to NOT wake up in a fog, full of self-loathing, not even wanting to leave the house), the various demons still rear their heads but are easier to kick to the curb.  I've navigated a couple of social situations that previous-me could not have IMAGINED attending without an 'adult' beverage.  (One example - went out for sushi the other night - I had hot tea, and a big plate of sashimi, and brought my own coconut aminos to replace soy sauce, while everyone else had beer and various fried things and rice-heavy rolls.)  I think just the act of explaining the program to people and sticking up for one's dietary choices is a big step towards self-awareness and self-valuation.   So yay us!

And welcome, AliElmer1, glad you joined the thread!

Alright I'm ready for the week, last night I made: bone broth (well that one's still cooking), mayo, avocado dressing, vinaigrette, and Nom Nom prosciutto wrapped frittata muffins and they are sooooo good! Putting the time in to prep on Sun. has definitely helped keep me on track. Tonight's dinner: bacon burgers and sweet potato fries from http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/11/07/crispy-oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries/ I'm hoping they turn out crispy!

I also bought Chia seeds for the first time, they are whole30 approved right? I'm gonna try making a pudding with berries for breakfast to break up the egg monopoly/monotony. 

Let me know if you have any recommendations I'm always looking for recipes, thanks.

• Administrators

I also bought Chia seeds for the first time, they are whole30 approved right? I'm gonna try making a pudding with berries for breakfast to break up the egg monopoly/monotony. 

Chia seeds are fine: Tip: Chia isn’t likely to cause you any serious trouble, but it’s not the omega-3 super-food it’s made out to be, either. We explain why in It Starts With Food, but in summary, chia should be treated like any other nut and consumed in limited quantities. 

Chia pudding is on the SWYPO line.  As long as you aren't sweetening it and you eat it with protein and veggies then it would be compliant (per Robin Strathdee's post in a previous thread).  On the other hand you might want to be careful with it because I know for me, too much causes constipation.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 28!!  Amazing!  Honestly, if it weren't for the calendar and the fact that we started on Jan 1, I think I would have lost track of what day it was.  It's all pretty second-nature to me at this point.  I've even navigated a fancy dinner party (where I checked with the hostess on the menu ahead of time - turns out nearly everything was compliant, and it helped that her husband has a dairy allergy so there was zero dairy in any dish!)    I feel like I've been robbed of the final 'OMG I feel amazing' days, though... I have had a cold since last Thursday!  But despite that, I've taken zero cold medication (not after looking at all the additional ingredients.. yuck) and indulged in zero 'comfort' foods.  Maybe my definition of 'comfort' food has changed.

I'm doing a lot of soul searching to try and figure out what my post-Whole30 life looks like, especially with regards to wine.  I'm not really feeling a pressing need to reintroduce any non-compliant foods, with the exception of soy (occasional soy sauce with sashimi isn't going to kill me, right?  I'll use coconut aminos when I cook) and probably cheese, for special occasions.  I love a good cheese plate.  But I will have absolutely no problem confining those things to special occasions, whereas wine is a different beast.  I think I just need to experiment, and if the wine dragon starts rearing its ugly head, I'll know I need to reevaluate.

A good article on living your life by the '80/20' principle, according to Mark Sisson: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8020-principle/#axzz3Q95WuDV2

I'm thinking my post-Whole30 life may need to be more 90/10 or 95/5, but the idea is the same.  "Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good."  Enjoy life.  Do the best you can with the information you have!  "Give your [Primal Blueprint] plan 100%, and understand it’s O.K. when daily life moderates the overall picture. An 80% end result will have you well on your way to success and sustainable health."

I realize that I am going to have to carefully evaluate every opportunity to go 'off-plan', probably for the rest of my life.  Opportunities to eat and drink things that make me less healthy are going to come up, pretty much every day.  I will just strive to ask myself - is it worth it?  Is the situation appropriate?  Do I have enough 'good' days in the bank to be able to afford this splurge?

A good article on living your life by the '80/20' principle, according to Mark Sisson: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8020-principle/#axzz3Q95WuDV2

I'm thinking my post-Whole30 life may need to be more 90/10 or 95/5, but the idea is the same.  "Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good."  Enjoy life.  Do the best you can with the information you have!  "Give your [Primal Blueprint] plan 100%, and understand it’s O.K. when daily life moderates the overall picture. An 80% end result will have you well on your way to success and sustainable health."

I realize that I am going to have to carefully evaluate every opportunity to go 'off-plan', probably for the rest of my life.  Opportunities to eat and drink things that make me less healthy are going to come up, pretty much every day.  I will just strive to ask myself - is it worth it?  Is the situation appropriate?  Do I have enough 'good' days in the bank to be able to afford this splurge?

Great Article! I am on day 19- feeling really great! I had some Tiger Blood this AM in my work out- and like you mentioned, kinda forgot what day I was on. I am SUPER nervous for when it is done. Like you I want some wine back in my life and some cheese :-) But I do want to maintain this lifestyle change- I have never felt better!!

Good Luck!! Love to hear about your reintroduction phase. TGIF!

I can't believe it, day 30, and like the rest of you I'm feeling great. My stomach has never been so flat! I'm exercising more which feels great because before starting on whole30 I was having such bad neck pain I couldn't work out. While on whole30 I've had NO neck pain, my digestive issues have improved greatly, my mood has improved, and best of all I'm not constantly managing my hunger. I'm a pretty healthy person, I'm a nurse, my BMI is healthy, I work out, follow food politics and am conscientious about the effect my diet has on the greater good. (Even though I feel well educated on diet and nutrition I had gotten myself into a rut, after loosing a family member, getting married, and then the holidays I'd neglected myself for about 4mo and was feeling the consequences hence my Jan 1st start date) I mention that because I feel like with all the knowledge I've sought out nothing has been as helpful and doable as whole30. Something I've learned about myself is that I NEED FAT! With good fats I'm eating whole foods and staying full, I swear I was always hungry before and boy you did not want to get in my way if I was hungry! Whole30 has shown me that I've been fat phobic and has cured me. 

Like many of you I'm nervous about my diet post whole30. I read up on the reintroduction phase and hope that I stay present with myself and pause to ask 'is it worth it' before indulging in less/unhealthy foods. 

I want to thank you all for sharing here, this has been a helpful connection for me while going through this. I wish you all the best of luck and continued success with your health.

Well I'm off to walk the dog then to the gym. 

How's everyone doing?  I didn't reintroduce anything on Day 31, but I did reintroduce wine on Day 32.  I decided my first drink in 32 days should be a good one, so I bought a fairly nice bottle.  I also bought one of those Vacu-Vin wine sealers - so that I can never again convince myself that the whole bottle needs to be drunk because otherwise it will spoil.  :)  And you know what?  It went really, really well.  I *savored* that wine.  I drank it really slowly (two glasses over about three hours).  I deeply inhaled the scent of it before each sip.  And after my two glasses, I sealed up the bottle and switched to water.    I'm on the lookout for the old wine dragon today... that remaining half-bottle is sitting there, available for me to drink it... but so far, the dragon has not surfaced.  I know my sleep was not as good as it could be (but that is also due to this lingering cold/cough I have).  I intend for today and tomorrow to be strict W30 days again, and then maybe on Wednesday I will either have another glass, if I feel like it, or maybe not.   I'm certainly feeling very hopeful and cautiously optimistic about this aspect of my post-W30 life!

Ug, so I jumped back into things a little too quickly and guess what? I felt like shit, diarrhea (so bad I thought I might have food poisoning), muscle aches-severe, and so sluggish. Back to clean eating it is, and all I had was a little dairy, homemade bread, oatmeal, and a super organic vegan dinner out!  :angry: It's not like I mainlined processed junk food!

• Administrators

Ug, so I jumped back into things a little too quickly and guess what? I felt like shit, diarrhea (so bad I thought I might have food poisoning), muscle aches-severe, and so sluggish. Back to clean eating it is, and all I had was a little dairy, homemade bread, oatmeal, and a super organic vegan dinner out!  :angry: It's not like I mainlined processed junk food!

Oh, yoinks.  Did you have all that in one day? Dairy, wheat, oats, whatever beans or soy was in the vegan dinner?  It's quite possible that these are irritants to you and re-introducing them en masse like that, even if it wasn't all on the same day but within a couple of days, is probably going to hurt your stomach.  Our fave mod, Tom Denham explains below: 

When you are exposed chronically to irritants, your gut develops an extra thick mucosal lining to protect you. When you go for a long time without consuming irritants, some of that thickness sloughs off because it is unneeded. When you reintroduce the irritant, you do not have the same level of protection that you did before.

Go back to Whole30 until you are feeling better (plus a few days to allow your gut to heal) and then reintroduce the items slowly, one at a time and see how you do.

Glad you all checked in!

I stayed completely on plan for 34 days.  I reintroduced cheese without any issues.  Then tried a day with non-gluten grains ... still no issues.  

Then ... had a drive bomb of a day.  Had been nursing another cold (started while I was on plan) ... just sick of being sick ... and crappy stress from a bunch of things at once.  Dived face first into almost a whole bottle of wine, cookies, cheese, crackers ... oh boy!

I actually didn't feel too bad the next day.  Just a bit of trouble getting up early.  Lots of readily available sugar for my workout (not the best way to have a good workout - I know!!)

Anyway ... back eating on plan the next day.  The only issue I've noticed is my skin.  Rosacea is in a bit of a flare up now.  I really like eating more compliant than not.  Went out to lunch yesterday and was shocked to find a great menu option (roasted chicken, baked sweet potato and fresh steamed veggies).  Much easier than I thought!!

So I'm continuing to move along.  Learning as I go.  I image I will return for another Whole30 at some point.  Made some new decisions to hopefully prevent a dive bomb day again ... but still get to enjoy social eating/drinking.

Hope everyone is well!

Oh, yoinks.  Did you have all that in one day? Dairy, wheat, oats, whatever beans or soy was in the vegan dinner?  It's quite possible that these are irritants to you and re-introducing them en masse like that, even if it wasn't all on the same day but within a couple of days, is probably going to hurt your stomach.  Our fave mod, Tom Denham explains below: 

When you are exposed chronically to irritants, your gut develops an extra thick mucosal lining to protect you. When you go for a long time without consuming irritants, some of that thickness sloughs off because it is unneeded. When you reintroduce the irritant, you do not have the same level of protection that you did before.

Go back to Whole30 until you are feeling better (plus a few days to allow your gut to heal) and then reintroduce the items slowly, one at a time and see how you do.

Thanks for your feedback. I took is slow and ate those different foods over about a week. I'm back on whole30 today and am gonna take a closer look at dairy and gluten to see which one is the culprit. 

Archived