trouble with pre and post w/o snacks

ssalch

I'm on day 3 of my journey and very excited.  My problem is my workout schedule and how to fit in my meals.  I work out twice a day, first from 5:30-6:30am and the second around lunchtime.  I can eat a boiled egg before my morning workout, then do I just do meal 1 at the office around 7:30am?  Cashews before my lunch workout then meal 2 after?  This is confusing!  I'm used to snacking on fruits and nuts during the day but I want to follow the program as closely as possible.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Working out strenuously means that you need extra nutrition to support the extra demand on your muscles. The ideal is to add additional food before a workout as a signal to the body to get ready for exercise and then more food immediately after the workout to support muscle recovery. These pre- and post-workout meals are independent of your basic three meals per day. So if you followed the plan perfectly, you would eat 5 times on a day you workout once and 7 times on a day you workout twice. 

Pre- and post-workout meals are specialized. Protein and fat before a workout. Lean protein and optionally starchy veggies afterwards.

I often skip pre-workout food and always eat only a small amount when I do consume one. 

You can use a regular meal as a post-workout meal in a time crunch, but you will lose some of the value because main meals do not make ideal post-workout meals. 

If one or more of your workouts is not strenuous, you may not need extra nutrition. For example, I am careful to eat lean protein after a heavy weight lifting session, but do not eat a special meal after 90 minutes of yoga. I personally would not eat a special meal after jogging 5 miles, but some runners may need the extra nutrition after such a run. 

Whatever you do, don't snack on fruit and nuts during the day. :)

Thank you so much!  That does help.  Usually one of my daily workouts is a 60 min yoga session so I'll abstain from the pre-w/o meal.  I'm on day 4 today and I will stop the snacking.  Hopefully I didn't do too much damage during the first 3 days!

Archived