Whole30 during physical therapy

duckborg

Yeah so here I am on day 7.  I am looking for folks who are involved in PT recovery or doctor required activities, and their experiences with the pre and post work out meals, on top of the regular meals. I find it overwhelming. Not to the extent of reducing my resolve to complete the whole30 but, just overwhelming. planning, content and execution, my main motivation for the whole30 is focused on the inflammation aspects of the programs. my three month check up from the surgery date is tomorrow. good news in the last seven days i have seen significant reduction in swelling.  is it because of my diet? we'll never know. but i believe that it has a lot to do with it.

so i am looking for experiences of other, plain active and PT related active people.  also favorite pre and post workout snacks, and how you arrange your workout schedule to fit meals and work.

awesome.

feeling good.

Scott

• Moderators

Hopefully you'll get some more people with physical therapy experience to weigh in soon -- the forums tend to be busier on Mondays than Sundays, so the right people just may not have seen your post yet.

I have never undergone physical therapy, but thought I'd mention a few things about the pre- and post-workout meals, in case you find it helpful. I don't know what PT you're doing, or how physically demanding it is, but in general, there's a lot of leeway in the PWO meals, depending on the type and duration of exercise people do. 

They don't need to be full-sized meals. Pre-workout is supposed to be fat and protein, and a hard boiled egg would work really well. If you are exercising within a couple of hours of a meal, you may not want or need a pre-workout meal. People who get up and exercise first thing in the morning, before breakfast, are most likely to need one, or if it's been several hours since your last meal.

Post-workout should be lean protein and optionally, some starchy vegetable, like chicken breast or tuna packed in water and some sweet potato. The protein is to aid in muscle recovery, and is the most important part. Starchy vegetables, based on my understanding, is to help replace glycogen stores after long or particularly arduous workouts. If you don't feel like eating that part post-workout, you can get similar benefits by making sure you include them at some other point during the day with a meal.

If your workouts/PT are not particularly demanding, and depending on the timing of that and your meals, you may not need either the pre or post workout snacks, or you may feel better with the post-workout but not need the pre-workout, or you may feel best with both, or it could even vary day to day depending on what you're doing each day.

Again, hopefully someone with actual PT experience will weigh in with more real-life suggestions, but I hope at least this is somewhat helpful.

thanks shannon. most days the PT is not what I would call heavy exertion. it may feel like it to my left leg that has lost most of it's muscle mass, but the workouts  are 30minutes to an hour 30 so it depends on the day. rarely involves sweating for now.  I am still on a cane so there is clearly no jogging going on. but i am right at the cusp and my PT guy is excited to see what changes the whole30 can do for me. but the whole concept of system inflammation is very curious to me. thanks for chiming in. i need these forums to keep me focused on the task at hand.

scott 

I've been in PT for several months and am on day 15. Because PT has so little exertion, if you will, I don't even bother with a pre or a post. I've just been following the general meal template (though I have days when I do have a full workout and increase consumption as needed.)

I will say this. I've been struggling with pain and swelling for the past few months (I had major shoulder reconstruction -- only things not touched were the triceps tendon) and when asked about my pain level at the doctor today, I realized I've not needed any anti-inflammatories since about day 3 and no ice outside of immediate post-PT therapy. Additionally, my top pain level dropped from a 6 to a 2 (and my last assessment was about a week before I started Whole 30. Additionally, I've had no swelling outside of the day after swimming swelling i'll have for several more months.

Is that whole 30 or just where I've fallen on the recovery timeline? I don't know, but I also was able to increase my yardage sevenfold in just one month, the biggest increases coming in the last two weeks.

sweet.  thanks for sharing. this has been a big ordeal and hiccup in my active live. yeah i have that same feeling, 'is the the whole30 or just coincidence' and i too have adjusted to the base my meals on level of intensity. just now getting into timed workouts (spin classes and those weird leg lifty cyclical walking things) and am able to do half an hour or so. 

i like how this plan is really outlining all the places I know I need to make the diet changes like, food planning, meat and carbs to veggie ratios, etc. nothing but good stuff.  just making to day 12 now.  have two drop in out of town visitors which is keeping me on my toes. 

thanks again for relating,

Archived