The Real Whole 30

Tonya

Even though I'm on day 26, my new restart day is day 8.  I've been thinking about whether I should weigh myself at the end of the original 30, which would be on Monday morning.  I know I've lost weight, and I feel so much better, so many positives going on right now.  In the past, I weigh myself and more often than not I am annoyed with myself for not losing weight.  I'm not sure that it would be in my best interest to weigh in at the end of the first 30.  Maybe I'll reassess for the end of February, when my restart session ends.  I am planning to continue with this way of eating for a while, but I do want to do the reset to see what and how different foods effect me.  I think if I get 60-90 days in though, that would be better for me, so that it's easier to return to whole 30.  I don't know, we'll see.  There's a lot to think about and read up on.  My official last day will be February 28th. 

Tired today, with a bit of soreness in my knees. Friday and yesterday were busy days. Great workout Friday night, then home for dinner only to discover that everyone wanted to go out. We did, and I got a burger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and sweet peppers. My stomach was upset all night, something in the meat? Ugh!
Yesterday I had a big breakfast knowing it would be a busy day. I made a hash with leftovers-sweet potato, collards, mushrooms, spring onion, then eggs and bacon. Delicious! Then volunteered at baseball sign-ups for 3 hours, took 1 dog for a walk/jog, the other for a walk, for a total of 2 miles. Quick trip to the farmers market, then home for a late lunch before volunteering at an event at my daughters school. Lunch was ground beef, mushrooms, avocado, kale. I stood for nearly 5 hours last night and my back was cramping. I came home and went right to bed, not even hungry.
Today's plan-
B-banana, coconut oil, eggs and scrapple

Going grocery shopping, will figure out the rest.

Yesterday's lunch was two roasted chicken legs plus a little more meat and celery sticks with guacamole.  I also had a handful of raisins, then went back and got another handful of raisins.  I was able to stop after the second handful (and it was an open handful), but raisins are definitely a no-brakes food for me.  Just like candy.  In fact, Raisinets are my favorite candy - that should tell me something about trying to get away with eating a handful of raisins.  I know I can have them as a topping for my salad, and that's where they are going to have to stay. 

I made a chicken enchilada bake for dinner (Paleomg) - served over spinach with some red cabbage - delicious!  Even the kids liked it, albeit theirs and husband's was over chips and topped with cheese. 

I didn't have so much to cook-up yesterday.  I had started a bone broth on Saturday afternoon (first one-yay me!), and then made avocado chicken salad for my lunches this week.  Packed up my lunches, made a homemade mayo for cole slaw (got a purple cabbage from the famer's market), finished the broth and that was it.  Most of what I have planned for the week does not require pre-prep. 

Another great thing about doing a Whole 30 is that since I have to plan meals, I'm not wondering around the grocery store picking up things I don't need.  Plus, even though I'm spending more money on meats, I'm actually saving money because I'm not getting unnecessaries and I'm not buying lunch everyday. 

So, on to today's meals:

B-Eggs, coconut oil, mushrooms, swiss chard, bacon, mug of broth

L-Avocado chicken salad, mushrooms, purple cabbage, raw spinach, carrots, sunburst tomatoes, sunflower seeds

D-Roast in crockpot, sweet potato, cauliflower

I have been reading back over ISWF the past week or so - I didn't remember that sunflower seeds were on the least desirable side.  They make a nice crunchy addition to my salads, though, and I don't overeat them, so I'll probably keep them on.  

Officially on Day 30 of the original Whole 30, but continuing on.  Fantastic workout last night, with rowing intervals as a finisher.  I was shaky and sweaty and completely exhausted when done.  For dinner, I did not eat either the sweet potato or the cauliflower, but had homemade coleslaw and then the roast over top.  I was hungrier this morning, maybe because I didn't have enough starchy carb last night?

B-eggs, chard, mushrooms, coconut oil, mayo, bacon

L-chicken avocado salad

D-either homemade soup or leftovers

Workout-yoga class

Dinner last night was leftover chicken enchilada bake over leftover sweet potato and acorn squash + spinach.  I also had a banana.  Later in the evening I had a brief desire for raisins, but remembered I had just brushed my teeth.  It was a craving flash then gone.  Yoga was great as usual, lots of plank work last night. 

Today:

B-same as yesterday

L-chicken enchilada bake over spinach

D-Taco beef/sausage over homemade coleslaw. maybe some cauliflower

Workout-Session number 6 in current program - body weight stuff, box jumps, kettlebell swings. 

Great workout last night.  No cauliflower with dinner, but added an avocado.  Beginning to think about the challenges this weekend will bring - will be away, and all meals will be eaten out.  Hotel breakfast - I should be able to get eggs and bacon every morning - not the best, but serviceable.  I can do a salad with meat for lunch, and steak, potato and salad for dinner.  It should be doable, but I know that the three times I've eaten away from home in the last month have not agreed with me, even though I've stuck to plan.  I have to remember to stay away from soups - it will be so cold, and I'm sure that I will want a nice bowl of soup.  Order tea instead. 

Today:

B-eggs scrambled in coconut oil, pumpkin

L-chicken avocado salad, spinach, cherry tomatoes, carrots, purple cabbage, mushrooms, sunflower seeds

D-Chicken enchilada bake over spinach with an avocado

No yoga tonight :(  I'm volunteering to work concessions at my daughter's school.  Hope to be able to eat dinner before I go - I brought it with me, but I'm just now eating lunch at 2:20!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted on here in more than a week - the Whole 30 thread I was following continued, I started posting some of my meals there.  That doesn't seem to be the right place to keep track of myself, my food, and my reactions, though, especially since I can get wordy sometimes!  So, I'm back here to continue.  This is also a good place to come back to, as I off-roaded a bit this weekend, with the plan to start a new Whole 30 today. 

My off-roads were:  Saturday night - I made buffalo chicken, which could be compliant if I made it with ghee, but I made it with butter.  I looked for ghee in the grocery story on Saturday, but they did not sell it.  I wasn't ready to tackle making it on my own, so just decided to try the butter.  I woke up with a headache and felt a little like I was coming down with something all day yesterday.  I'm not sure if this is a reaction or not.  I think I will start highlighting possible reactions, to look for patterns later.  

My second off-road was Sunday.  My daughter wanted to go to Panera for lunch, so we did.  I had a chicken cobb salad with the dressing.  Neither the dressing nor the bacon (and probably not the chicken seasoning) were compliant.  I had terrible gas last night, and my stomach is feeling queasy today. 

I like that the things that I had were considered off-plan.  Somehow, that relieves some of the pressure of staying compliant, but at the same time it's easy to get back on track.  Now, if I had off-roaded with a store-bought cookie, that would have quickly turned into the whole package and I may not have returned to healthy eating for weeks! 

So, new Whole 30 starts today, with a Facebook group I joined through this forum.  Did my grocery shopping and prep work this weekend and ready to go! 

Meals for today:

M1-3 eggs, spinach, and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil; big dollop of homemade mayo on top; 2 slices of bacon

M2-Sausage hash - includes sweet potato, butternut squash, lots of spinach with a broccoli base

M3-Broccoli spaghetti.  Ground beef, tomato sauce and seasonings, over broccoli, topped with olives.

It was so great to get back in the gym for a real workout last night.  I walked on the treadmill and did yoga last week, but was back to my bodyweight/barbell/sprints workout tonight.  I slept really well, too - it was good to be physically tired. 

Dinner changed, as I forgot my husband had a meeting last night.  So I made Cajun blackened turkey cutlets.  So quick, but soooo good!  Served over broccoli with a garlic aioli.  I also had a banana and a small bowl of raisins and cashews as a snack. 

M1-same as yesterday

M2-chicken salad made with avocado and homemade mayo, lots of different veggies, a small handful of sunflower seeds and cashews for fat. 

M3-Leftovers night - I'm going to have exactly what I had last night. 

Yoga class tonight!  I'm thinking about increasing yoga from 2 to 4 times a week - would add a Friday night and Saturday morning class.  I think that will work with my schedule, and it is probably the best class I've ever taken. 

Feeling a little sore from Monday night's workout, especially in arms and back - good sore!  Great yoga class last night, gym workout with rowing planned for this evening. 

M1-same as before

M2-sausage, sweet potato, butternut squash, spinach hash

M3-Broiled cod with tartar sauce made from homemade mayo and dill pickles, leftover smashed cauliflower and carrots from beef stew earlier in the week. 

Snow day yesterday, yoga class was cancelled.  Dealing with a mild headache and some dizziness today.  I wonder if I'm coming down with something?

M1-4 eggs, spinach, coconut oil, 2 slices bacon

M2-sausage, spinach, butternut squash hash

M3-taco meat salad with avocado

Start new phase on workout tonight.  Hope to get to a yoga class afterward.   

Archived