The Real Whole 30

Tonya

Today starts another Whole 30.  I've tried several in the past, but never successfully completed one.  I was so good at eating a mostly paleo diet for several years until December 2013.  I'm not sure what got me off-track, but I can't believe I spent a year not really caring about what I ate and engaging in sporadic exercise.  I tried to restart good habits a few times, and even was able to replace coffee with tea this past summer and still continue to do so.  I also stopped watching the news in the morning to allow for a less stressful pre-work routine.  But, I have not been able to get back on track with diet.  Now, my weight, skin, and general health show for it.  I have scaly elbows again.  I get migraines again.  My energy level is so low.  I have gained 53 pounds.  I even went to the doctor to have blood work done to check out thyroid, etc, but all was fine.  I know, though, that I have not been doing what I need to do diet and exercise-wise.  So today is the first day of the rest of my life. 

Breakfast

2 eggs fried in coconut oil

4 compliant sausage links

Plain chai tea

Lunch

Salad-in-a-jar homemade chicken salad, lots of veggies, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts. 

Afternoon snack (right now)

Green tea

Dinner (planned)

Ground beef

Broccoli

So far, so good.  Not hungry, no cravings.  I have a terrible headache that started yesterday and may be due to the rainy weather.  I am tired, but again, probably related to the headache. 

I decided that I'm not going to do much with the gym until my energy comes back.  I may go walk on the treadmill this week, but that isn't happening today.  This journey is about caring for myself, not pushing myself to meet someone's expectations of a healthy lifestyle. 

Hi There!

We wish much success on your whole 30.  I just wanted to pop by and offer some advice.  We want you to have to have as much success as possible with your whole 30.

Your meals look good, but you might be able to improve things a little.  

Here are a list of things for you to try:

Add some vegetables to meal 1. 

You might want to add a starchy veg in there somewhere.  We recommend minimum of one a day.  Starchy veg is basically any root vegetable, squash of any kind, and jicama.  These will help with the headaches/carb flu.  Seriously.

Increase your fat intake.  I see nothing listed in meal 3, and meal 1 seems a bit low.  Please note that nuts and seeds are not ideal fat sources.  They may cause discomfort and bloating.

Other than that - Keep it going!  Best of luck to you on the rest of the program.

Thanks Carlaccini, that's great advice!  I was really hungry right after dinner last night, now I know why.  I added a coconut milk and frozen cherry smoothie and felt much better.  I do typically eat my eggs with spinach in the morning, but I don't have any this week - I do have pumpkin and will add some of that tomorrow morning.  The nuts and seeds are about half a handful each in my salad - I've never had problems with them, and don't anticipate feeling the need to eat more than that.  I also had mayo in my chicken salad, which I counted as a fat due to the olive oil - maybe I need to check that that's enough fat. My ground beef is not locally sourced (not available right now), but is 85% lean from grocery store.  I was thinking that that was enough fat in a meal, but maybe not...   

I feel really good this morning - slept ok, though I was up a lot going to the bathroom.  No headache.  Good amount of energy.  

I've already had my first meal:

3 eggs fried in coconut oil (increased to deal with hunger later in the day)

4 sausage links

plain chai tea

Lunch

Tuna salad in a jar - tuna, mayo, carrots, celery, broccoli, lots of salad greens, handful of sunflower seeds and hazelnuts combined

water to drink.  Will have green tea later in the afternoon if needed. 

Dinner

Meatballs I made this weekend, canned crushed tomatoes (ingredients are: tomatoes, salt), salad drizzled with an olive oil/lemon juice/garlic/oregano/salt/pepper dressing.  Water to drink. 

I'll have another coconut milk smoothie, if needed at the end of the day. 

I may actually go to the gym to walk on the treadmill if I continue to feel this good - I know this will only last a day or so before I start to feel terrible!  The second day has traditionally been my most challenging with fighting the sugar cravings.  I will need a lot of willpower!  I do have almonds and macadamia nuts at my desk that I will dig into to get me through any rough times, if needed. 

My first "scramble for something else because I don't have everything" meal last night - I looked for my crushed tomatoes, but they were gone.  I did not realize my husband had used the last can in spaghetti sauce he made a few weeks ago.  So rummaging through the cabinets and fridge (all while hungry!) - thought maybe ketchup would work, since I buy Simply Heinz - that has sugar in it, though.   Settled on mustard - it was delicious!  Also, had decided earlier that I did not want a salad, and so roasted broccoli, carrots and olive oil in the oven.  It turned out to be a really good dinner.  I did also have a smaller coconut smoothie. 

I did not go to the gym, just because I remembered I had to return something to the store.  Did that, then home.  It was just myself and daughter last night, who was working on homework, so I started the roasted veggies, then proceeded to put away all the boxes of Christmas decorations.  Now I have just one tree left to do.  It was nice to get that out of the way.  I typically don't have the energy to do stuff like that during the week and make dinner, so I was glad to feel like getting all that done. 

Wide awake until about 11:30 last night, when I'm usually asleep by 9:30.  I also got up at 5:30 am, though I don't usually get up until 6:00.  Unfortunately, it was not a good morning to walk, as the roads were covered with ice!  It was nice, though, to be wide awake and ready to start the day.  I don't usually feel this well until days later in my diet clean-up.  I also dreamed about food last night, which I don't usually do until later.  This is the first time I've done a Whole 30 from a completely junk diet, though, so I wonder if that's why?  Usually, I'm fairly clean, and start Whole 30 (but have never finished) to try to get even cleaner.  I fully expect to be hit by carb flu at anytime, given my heavy doses of sugar and carbs prior to Monday.  

Today's plan:

Breakfast

1/4 of pumpkin egg dish (1 can pumpkin, 6 eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg to taste)

4 sausage links

chai tea

I should have added some fat to breakfast, but didn't think of it - I'm starting to get hungry and it's only been 3 hours since I ate.  Usually, I make that with heavy cream, too, and top with butter.  I'll have to rethink for tomorrow.  

Probably going to have a handful of macadamia nuts here in a few minutes, along with green tea

Lunch

Bacon salad in a jar - 2 1/2 strips of bacon, celery, carrots, broccoli, half a handful of sunflower seeds, lots of mixed greens + vinaigrette - olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  

Dinner

Chicken fajitas - chicken, pepper and onion strips sauteed in coconut oil and lime juice, cumin and chili powder (need to check my jar for sugar and sulfites - will use other spices, if needed)   served over mashed garlic cauliflower.  I might try to make cauliflower rice, have never done that before.  And a coconut smoothie, if needed. 

It really is hard for me to eat enough fat without dairy.  I have avocados, but they are not yet ripe.  I need to look into making ghee, too, and probably buy some olives to have on hand as needed. 

Hey Tonya, you mentioned migraines... did yours go away with Whole30 or Paleo diet? I have very frequent migraines (about 15 a month) and that is one of the major reasons I'm doing this. I'm only on day 6 but really hoping it helps...

Lyrica - they did go away!  I only have 1 or two a month, but when I was eating Paleo/Primal, I NEVER had headaches (migraine or otherwise) once I got a few weeks in, even when I got off plan periodically (I only did for a month or less at a time until this past year).  Since I have returned to my old eating habits, my headaches gradually returned, and I think recently I was having them more frequently than twice a month.  I hadn't gotten to the point where I was tracking them, but the fact that they seemed more frequent was part of my motivation to return to clean eating. 

I hope you find the same success, just stick with it.  

My avocados are ripe, yay!  I mashed one small one with some lime juice last night and ate it with my fajita mix - delicious!  I think having that extra fat helped me to not have to have the smoothie later. 

Awake since 4:30 this morning, when my dogs woke me up.  I was not groggy or anything, and I'm still alert 5 hours later.  I'll probably crash tonight, though.  This lack of carbs/quick energy + early rising has got to catch up with me soon!  Nothing really to report, this has been pretty easy so far, just need to keep plugging away.  My stomach has not even been upset from the increase in veggies.  I got home from work early yesterday and was hungry, still several hours before I would even think about starting dinner.  I ate some pumpkin eggs with coconut oil mixed in and had a cup of green tea, then watched a movie with my daughter.  That would traditionally be a troublesome time for me.  I have to make sure I plan well for the weekend and the holiday on Monday.  I do not do well without the structure of the work day. 

Today's meals:

Breakfast was pumpkin eggs with coconut oil mixed in and 4 sausage links

Green tea

Lunch

Tuna, mayo, celery, carrots, lettuce greens, handful of sunflower seeds, nuts, raisins mixture

Dinner

Leftover fajita probably over broccoli with avocado

I have macadamia nuts at my desk in case I get hungry later, and always have the coconut milk/cherry smoothie to fall back on if I need more food with dinner. 

Wide awake at 5:30 a.m., after going to bed around 11:00.  Seriously, I'm going to have to start taking advantage of this extra half hour every morning if I'm not really going to need it. 

I did have a bit of upset stomach last night, probably from all the broccoli I ate yesterday.  It's resolved.  No other issues to report.  I do think my face is maybe looking a little bit thinner...

No dairy - this is unbelievable.  When I have "attempted" Whole 30 in the past it has always been with the mental disclaimer that I will go as long as I can without cheese, but then I'll allow it on my own personal Whole 30.  Of course, that never worked.  I can't believe this is my fifth day of no cheese and I'm doing ok and not missing it too much. 

I did not have the macadamias yesterday, but did end up making the smoothie last night.  One of my problems in the past is that I get a few days in, probably not eating enough, and then I'm ravenous and find it very difficult to stick to plan.  So, I was still a little hungry last night before bed, and decided it was better to be proactive with the hunger than to let it sit and stew. 

Today:

Pumpkin eggs with coconut oil plus sausage links

Green tea

Lunch

Bacon salad with homemade vinagrette.  This was so delicious on Wednesday, I can't wait to have it again. 

Dinner

Baked cod - I am not good with making fish, and I haven't done it very often.  I'll probably wrap this is foil with lemon juice and coconut oil and let it cook.  We'll see how this turns out.  Maybe some sliced avocado on it.  I wonder if the salsa we have is compliant?  That would be good on the fish.  If not, I will definitely buy stuff to make salsa for next week.  I'll probably also have broccoli again.  It's one of my favorite veggies and besides I'm getting low on supplies - tomorrow is grocery shopping day. 

I still have the macadamia nuts available. 

My salsa is compliant, and the fish was delicious!

Up at 6:30 because the dogs woke me up, but I wasn't groggy. The weekends are very challenging for me, I need a good plan.

Breakfast

Egg, broccoli, bacon omelette

Lunch

I haven't had to think about this all week since I prepped the mason jar salads last Sunday. I'll make a taco salad-

Ground beef

Salsa

Avocado

Salad greens

Dinner-going to look for recipes. Will be back to post.

I didn't post yesterday - it's too hard to write from my tablet, and I was too lazy to get on the desktop.  Dinner on Saturday ended up being a Paleo Chicken Chili recipe I found on Pinterest.  It was delicious!  Chicken, sweet potato, onion, pepper, cilantro, and chicken broth.  Delicious and satisfying, but I was hungry all day yesterday, possibly because I did not have enough fat at dinner on Saturday.  I don't seem to be able to make up for it the next day, either.  I don't know if this is maybe because I actually need to eat more fat than I think I do. 

Yesterday's meals-

Breakfast

coconut milk, blueberries, spinach, egg white smoothie

Lunch

Paleo Chicken Chili

macadamia nuts

Dinner

Hawaiian pork (pork roast, pineapple, ginger cooked in crock pot all day)

mashed cauliflower

I was the most satisfied after eating dinner, but still really hungry this morning.  I also had a cup of Egyptian Licorice tea.  Very delicious, but very sweet.  This is compliant, but I'm worried it will set off sugar triggers, especially when I'm struggling a bit right now.  Yesterday was a tough day-hungry, home all day on a rainy day, watching movies, everyone else eating things like cheese and crackers and butter pretzels.  Those are the kind of days that I can stand up to once in a while, but too many of them and I know I will cave.  I need to get my crocheting stuff out so I'll have something to do with my hands when watching a movie and everyone else is snacking. 

I've also been fighting a very low grade, fuzzy feeling headache and much lower energy than what I had last week.  I just wanted to stay in bed this morning, but my dogs wouldn't let me.  Maybe today should be another lazy day - I do need to do meal prep for the week and I had a few more undone chores from my list, so we'll see.  I struggle with three-day weekends when I don't have any definite plans. 

Today's meals

Breakfast

eggs, cauliflower, bacon

Lunch

Hawaiian pork over lettuce greens

the rest of the chicken chili (there's just a bit left)

avocado

Dinner

Beef roast

homemade coleslaw

sautéed kale

These are the days when it gets really hard, but I'm almost half way - I know the whole month will not be this tough.  I can push through these few days.  I didn't give in yesterday, so I don't want that to be for nothing. 

I'm looking forward to starting yoga again tomorrow night - it's a twice a week class, that has been on hiatus for about 6 weeks due to the holidays.   

Busy day yesterday, never made it here to post.  I'm definitely feeling better - more energy, no headache.  I got my meal prep done on Monday, and so did not struggle so much with food and cravings yesterday.  It isn't feeling quite as "hard" as it was on Monday.  I actually never ate lunch on Monday - my breakfast sustained me through most of the day, and I was either busy or taking a nap so I didn't have time to think about food.  When I did get hungry, it was close to dinner, so I waited.  And ate lots of roast, roasted carrots, coleslaw, and baked apple slices.  No kale.  Yesterday's meals were:

Breakfast

eggs, mushrooms, kale, in coconut oil, sausage

Lunch

Hawaiian pork over salad greens, sunflower seeds, carrots, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, celery

Dinner

Taco beef with kale, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado

I'm noticing that I'm feeling what I think is hungry about a half hour after I eat, but then it goes away.  I'm thinking this is my body adjusting to no sugar and trying to demand that I feed it more carbs and some sugar.  Do I just tough it out, or should I add more starchy vegs to my plate?  I might give it a day or two and see what happens.  It isn't a terrible hunger, just surprising since I just ate.  I don't think it will create an uncontrollable desire to binge at this point. 

Yoga class was awesome last night, glad to be back.  Can't wait til Thursday's class.  I think I'm about ready to add in gym time, too.  

Today's meals:

B

4 eggs, mushrooms, kale in coconut oil, sausages

L

Hawaiian pork over salad greens and veggies with sunflower seeds

D

Hawaiian pork over coleslaw, sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon, sauteed kale 

Quick report, busy day:

B

Pumpkin eggs with coconut oil and sausage

L

taco meat salad - seasoned ground beef, cilantro, tomato, carrots, sunflower seeds, lettuce greens

D

Will have what I planned for last night.  Last night I had my veggie-filled meatballs, crushed tomatoes, and kale and the rest of the Paleo Chicken Chili

I bake it for 20 - 30 minutes depending on the size of the pan.  You can tell it's done when it doesn't wiggle in the middle. Cut your slice, top with coconut oil and enjoy!  I bet you could make a portion in the frying pan, though, that way you could easily adjust for more or less pumpkin.  I may have to try that next time. 

Another quick post and busy day!

B

more pumpkin eggs and sausage

L

same as yesterday

D

A broiled chicken thigh recipe I have been wanting to try - will post details of that tomorrow, sweet potato, kale sauteed in coconut oil. 

It has been a crazy, busy week at work - so glad I had taken the time last weekend to prep lunches for the week.  I am 100% certain that otherwise, my week would have included at least one drive thru meal in the car, if not more.  Of note, I was not nearly as exhausted when I got home each evening, and I know that is because of my significantly better lunch. 

So here begins the weekend...I'm not as trepidatious this weekend, as I haven't had any cravings in the last few days and I have food already prepped for lunch both days.  Running around and cleaning planned for today, along with checking out recipes, making my grocery list, and going shopping.  Tomorrow will likely be a lazy day, as I believe the weather is supposed to be terrible. 

Last night's dinner plan changed.  I got home and everyone wanted to go out, so we went to Longhorn Steakhouse.  I checked out the menu beforehand, and the only compliant meat was the cowboy pork chops.  So I had those, a salad, and a sweet potato.  No big deal.  I guess I could have had a steak and just asked for it to be dry?  I don't really know how that works, and didn't have time to research it.  Anyway, I felt that it was a successful experience - didn't miss the bread that everyone was eating (though I often bypass it anyway) and the sweet potatoes are really good with nothing on them. I was not feeling deprived or different at all. 

Today's meals:

B

The last of this week's pumpkin eggs, sausages

L

hopefully the last of the Hawaiian pork with cole slaw (made with homemade mayo) over salad greens and a small avocado

D

baked chicken thighs, sweet potato, kale sautéed in coconut oil. 

I didn't even get on the computer yesterday, spent the afternoon doing meal prep for the week - I made tuna salad with homemade mayo, chicken salad with the leftover chicken thighs and homemade avocado dressing, meatballs, and meatloaf. 

Yesterday's meals:

B

Blueberry kale coconut milk smoothie

chicken thigh

2 small slices scrapple, locally made from pastured beef

L

Hawaiian pork (when will this be gone!!) wrapped in kale leaves

Snack

2 meatballs when they came out of the oven, bite of avocado dressing (yum!)

D

meatloaf, smashed cauliflower, sweet potato

Today's plan:

B

3 local eggs sauteed with kale and olive oil, topped with homemade mayo

4 sausage links

L

chicken avocado salad, sunflower seeds, a few tangerine slices, salad greens

handful macadamia nuts (I was going to eat more, then decided I didn't want them and put them back)

D

Either meatloaf or chicken piccata

kale and cauliflower

pumpkin

Meatloaf last night, but no pumpkin - I have no starchy veggies for the rest of this week!  Argh!  I didn't put them on my shopping list for some reason.  Instead of pumpkin, I had a sliced apple heated and coated in cinnamon, caradmom, and nutmeg. 

Today's meals-

B

4 eggs with kale and homemade mayo

4 sausages

This good sized breakfast helped me get to this time of day (3:15ish) before needing to eat lunch.  Good thing, because it was a busy day.  Lunch is:

same as yesterday, but no macadamias

Yoga class tonight, then home for dinner:

Chicken piccata, kale.  I do have a few white potatoes, so I may cook those up.  I'm not really a big fan of white potatoes, though.  I used to see them as a vessel for sour cream, and once I started trying to eat better, I discovered I didn't really like them without the sour cream.  I wonder how they would taste with the homemade mayo?  May try that on them tonight...

I can't believe I haven't posted since 1/27 - been a crazy few days. 

Tuesday night, too late to make chicken piccata, so I made meatballs and broccoli, with my homemade mayo as a creamy topping. 

Wednesday-

Same breakfast and lunch as Tuesday. 

Buffet dinner at presentation - mixed green salad and beef tips.  Everything else was completely off limits.  I am wondering now though if it would have been better to eat fried chicken, but remove the skin.  Though I'm sure it would have been fried in vegetable oil...we paid $40 each for the tickets, so abstaining from dinner was not an option in my husband's eyes. 

Yesterday-

B-eggs, kale, bacon

L-tuna with homemade mayo, sunflower seeds, lettuce greens

D-Chinese restaurant for daughter's birthday dinner - green chicken curry - plain chicken with vegetables and green curry sauce.

S-a super delicious banana when everyone else was eating cake.  Seriously, the banana was so good I did not miss the cake one bit. 

Now, today I have a terrible headache - something in one of the dinners I have had over the past two nights?  Sort of restarting today - Old Day 18 and new Day 1.  I want to make sure I have 30 good clean days before doing a reintroduction, especially since I seemed to be impacted by something with this headache.

Today-

B

Eggs, kale, coconut oil, bacon

L

Chicken avocado salad, mixed greens sunflower seeds, a few clementine slices in the salad

D

Finally making the piccata tonight.  

Reviewing a new exercise plan, with planned start date of Monday.  So will be doing yoga twice a week, and lifting 3 times a week.  Excited to get started!   

Such a nice, easy weekend, but I spent so much of it on food stuff.  I went to the gym Saturday morning - first time this new year.  I jumped right in and started my new exercise plan, and felt so energized afterward!  So glad to be back on that track.  I'll probably have a few days of "I don't want to go" before I get back in the gym groove, but Saturday's workout was inspiring.  I also spent about 2.5 hours shopping at three different places on Saturday.  Then Sunday I spent another 2 hours prepping foods, and an hour making paleo-chicken tenders, guacamole, and veggie and fruit platters for the Superbowl.  It was well worth it, though. 

Friday night's piccata was delicious, with enough leftover for two lunches.  

Saturday's meals-

2 slices of bacon pre-workout - this seemed to take care of the protein-fat recommendation.

Workout-

mix of body weight, free weight, cardio intervals - I'm following a prescribed program

Breakfast

Eggs, kale, coconut oil, banana

Lunch

Chicken Piccata over salad greens

Dinner

Mexican Beef Stew (Everyday Paleo) over cauliflower - so good, I will definitely make this again. 

Sunday's meals:

B-eggs, collard greens, coconut oil, banana, scrapple from the local Organic farm that raises it's own beef

L-leftover Mexican stew with guacamole

D/Superbowl food -Paleo chicken tenders (Everyday Paleo), celery and carrots with guacamole, apple and orange slices.  Also made a sausage soup, but was too full from this meal to eat anything else.

Today's meals:

B-eggs, collard greens, bacon, guacamole, coconut oil

L-Sweet Sausage Soup (Everyday Paleo) - basically, sausage from that organic farm, sweet potatoes, kale, chicken and beef broth, and coconut milk.  

D-Homemade ground beef tomato sauce over broccoli, salad with olive oil vinaigrette. 

Yawning a lot today, though not particularly tired.  I'm watching a series on Netflix, and so was up until after midnight.  I was ready to get up at 6:00.  Otherwise, feeling good! 

Worked out at home last night.  Couldn't find my phone to let people know I was going to the gym, so I went home and improvised.  It worked out well!  Lots of knee action - squat jumps, air squats, step-ups, kettlebell swings, but no swelling or pain.  I was even able to get off the floor this morning using only my legs!  Just last week, I was using both hands to help myself get up. 

Dinner ended up being leftover superbowl chicken and a bowl of sausage soup

B-

3 eggs, collards, coconut oil, guacamole, 2 slices bacon

L-

Mexican beef stew and cauliflower

D-

Sausage soup

Yoga tonight - then home for dinner by myself.  Everyone else is either working or at practice tonight. 

Yoga and dinner were great.  I was quite hungry when I got home, but able to do a few things (change clothes, mix-up pumpkin eggs and put it in the oven) before fixing my dinner.  My daughter had left Belvita crackers on the counter.  I had a quick automatic thought of "I could eat that while I'm waiting for dinner" but I checked myself and put them away so I wouldn't see them.  I finished my soup up, and also had a banana with dinner.  I also ate a small bowl of eggs when they came out of the oven. 

Today:

B-Pumpkin eggs - this time, I added coconut milk to the recipe as a way to get fat into it.  Delicious!  Also, two slices bacon

L-Late lunch, I was getting hungry.  Leftover chicken piccata and cauliflower.  About 15 minutes after eating I was still hungry and realized I hadn't had fat - I ate a small package of natural almonds. 

D-tomato meat and mushroom sauce over broccoli with olive oil.  

Plan to go to gym after work.  Looking forward to a good workout!  I really do have more energy these days!    My skin is still really dry, though.  I"m not sure what's up with that. 

Great workout last night, but I was very dehydrated afterward.  Couldn't use my usual Nuun tablets, and I wasn't prepared with anything else.  Suffered through the dehydration while sipping salt water all night.  I'm still with a bit of headache. 

Today's meals:

B-pumpkin eggs and bacon

L-meatball and spinach soup, clementine, probably a handful of nuts just because there isn't much fat in the soup

D-Garlicky beef stew with acorn squash from Practical Paleo - it's in the crockpot right now! 

Exercise - restorative yoga class tonight, I can't wait! 

Adjustments from yesterday - no nuts at lunch, coconut water with pulp instead, to help with lingering dehydration headache.  Added broccoli to my dinner and a cup of Egyptian licorice tea in the evening.  Yoga was fantastic!  Everything seems to be working well right now.  

B-pumpkin eggs and bacon

L-sausage soup, 2 clementines

D-steak topped with sauteed mushrooms and onion, sweet potato, broccoli

Exercise-number 4 workout of current plan 

Archived