First Day of My First Whole30

meredithm1

I actually started yesterday, but what's an extra day of health? :-)  My sister did this back in October, and is planning to do it again.  She's the one who convinced me to try it, but she's dragging her feet now, lol!  I'm here mostly for health and energy benefits, though I'll take any weight loss that comes with it.  I just turned 50 and I have a 9 year old son, so I've got to get as healthy as pssible for the long run.  I'd love to find some like-minded friends here; I think we'll be that much more successful if we support each other.  Breakfast was a small sweet potato and 2 poached eggs.  I may have a half grapefruit shortly.  Coffe with no sugar - I thought it would be disgusting, but I threw it over ice, and it was surprisingly easy.  Acid reflux is kicking in, but I hope that'll go away with a little time.  How about you?

Hey hey hey

So glad to have you starting today as well!

Wow, I admire you for the decision you've made as you are definitely going to be much needed in the years to come and therefore you should be in good health.

And, finally, if we don't take care of ourselves and our health, why should anyone else do so?!

When it comes to coffee, there is a bit of a trick here - try adding a cinnamon stick to your coffee for a minute or two. It'll make your coffee tastes amazing and sweet.

Have a great day and talk to you soon,
Hope

NICE, tplummer!  Amazing what those changes can do!  Hope, so far, so good, though as I wrote on your board, my Kill All The Things phase started early, lolol!  Black coffee was definintely better.  I'm not a real coffee fan, though, so it'll take me some getting used to, but it was bearable.  If I can cut out almond millk altogether, so much the better.  How's day 2 for you, so far?  Just had breakfast (1/2 grapefruit, 2 poached eggs, 1 sweet potato).  My guys had quiche last night, so I compensated with a portobello mushroom- spinach - bell pepper - avocado - bacon scramble and a salad.  I didn't miss the quiche, and I didn't miss the bagel yesterday and french toast today.  I can watch them eat without losing my mind, so that's postive, lol!

Hey hey heeeeeey

tplummer, wow - great job! Well done!

meredith, my Day 2 was pretty awesome! Lunch was pork meat and lots of veggies - greens mostly. After I spent the whole day outside, I was invited to go partying and, of course, I couldn't say No! :D So, I ended up partying in one of the most fancy clubs here wearing my Uggs and a sweater, no makeup but messy hair included.

P.S.
Don't kill everyone - only those who really deserve it! And those who don't! :D Lol

Good luck to all of us!

HAHAHA, you're funny, Hope! I'll have to party vicariously through you... :-) And tplummer, that sounds like a great solution; congratulations!  I had an unexpectedly super successful day yesterday, and today too! 

I'm a singer, and whenever I come back from a late-night show (often), I treat it as a free pass to eat junk. Last night was an exception.  I am so excited that I made it through the 2 am, 1 hour-long drive without driving through a 24 hour crap-food restaurant - that is huge!  I've used the "I have to stay awake" excuse with great success in justifying many a Big Mac/fries/ coke meal.  This time, though, I brought a banana for the drive home instead, and had a healthy meal already cooked and at the ready in case I was starving when I got back.  I wan't hungry, though; the banana took the edge off (that hunger myth just got exploded, lol) and I probably slept better without the additional 1,500 calories stewing away in my gut.  I've just changed my date to officially Day 3 today, so after dinner tonight I'll have nailed it, and can move on to Day 4, woo hoo!  Oh, yes, and yesterday, my guys ate pizza in front of me while I had a chicken breast and beans.  I LOVED it!  I only had a few minutes of self-pity, but I had a loooong stretch of feeling strong and healthy, and of remembering how bad pizza actually makes me feel, lol!

Last but not least, today I had an incredible craving for sugar.  I mean, I wanted to eat my weight in sugar.  It started with my son asking for licorice candy for an after-lunch dessert.  I had just read that licorice is an excellent anti-inflammatory, so my brain went into overdrive, justifying that the licorice wheels should actually count as exceptions to the sugar rule, because the whole point of the Whole30 i to combat inflammation, right? RIGHT???  I swear, some kind of sugar-craze fog descended over me, and I actually can't believe I managed to get through it without cheating.  I ate some almonds and olives, and went for a brief walk, and the haze lifted.  When it did, I realized I wasn't even hungry - those near-cramps were just really, really strong cravings!  Anyway, I made it through on a day when I'm exhausted and sick, and possibly pre-menstrual, so my defenses are at their lowest.  I'm so happy I was able to stick it out.  I'm getting more and more committed with each successful day that passes.  I have to admit I started a little resentfully and skeptically, even though I feel strongly that this is a good health choice.  Every day, it gets better,  Can't wait for tomorrow...:-)

Hey hey

Day 5 halfway done, thanks for asking! :)

Yummy, it sounds delicious!

When it comes to my nutrition, it's all kinds of leaffy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms... All kinds of meats and fish, and I love algae - and since I'm in Asia presently, it's really easy to find all sorts of those here!

I drink lots of green tea as well (I love Asia) and water and black coffee.

That's pretty much it.

And, yeah, I do love pumpkin and add it to my dishes from time to time, and dicon radish as well. :)

Sorry I've been absent - still going strong, just really busy!  I'll have to try the pumpkin, etc...I've been ricing the cauliflower, and I'm starting to actually like that veggie. It's filling, too.  I'm adjusting to black cofee; your cinnamon stick trick really helps  How are you?  Hanging in there?

I'm staying strong, but oh, what I would give for one of those chocolate strawberries someone brought to the suerbowl party last nigjht! I brought my own chicken and salad,a nd stayed on point all night.  Nothing was hard until...bum bum bum!  The chocolate covered strawberries.  I may be alittle hormonal, lolol!

SO my waist is definitely smaller on Day 23, and my clothes fit differently - better! I've always had to lumber out of bed and move like the tin man, all rust and frozen joints, until things warm up and I can walk like a human, lol.  These days, my joints feel really good, and there's less freezing up whn I sit too long, less bloating, less pain.  I guess it's working...:-)

Archived