Day 14 Baking Success

ChronicOptimist

I'm on day 14 and am really starting to be able to feel the extraordinary energy that comes from fueling your body with nutrient-dense, real food.  My sugar cravings are starting to subside and I can see my body changing.  It feels wonderful!  I do have something to admit, though...

My name is Chronic, and I'm a bake-aholic.

I love to bake.  I enjoy baking almost anything, but my absolute favorite is decadent, fudge-y, look-too-good-to-eat layer cakes.  I take pride in making every cake I make unique and special.  As you can imagine, I've become the go-to person among my friends and family when someone has a birthday.  I don't eat much of what I make, but I do dip a finger in the frosting to make sure it tastes alright and maybe sneak a few bites of the leftover cake after I've cut the domes off my layers.

Imagine my horror when I was getting coffee (black, obviously!) with a friend when she dropped the bomb.  "I'm so excited for my birthday next week!"  

Suddenly I realized I would have to bake a cake smack dab in the middle of my Whole30.  While screaming internally I asked her  what kind of cake she'd like.  "German chocolate."  Super.  Great.  Can't think of anything more amazing.

Well, that weekend I gathered my supplies and started to bake.  I had to be hyper-vigilant.  No licking the spoon, no tasting the icing, no eating little cake crumbs.  Not a single morsel made it from that cake into my mouth.  I just remembered that I had made a commitment to myself that I would spend 30 days eating in such a way that only improved my health, and even the tiniest taste of icing was less than I deserved.  I presented my friend with her beautiful four-layer German Chocolate Cake and politely refused a slice.

The only problem is - for all I know - that cake tasted like garbage!  But that's a risk I'm willing to take.  

Archived