Maintaining milk supply- Fat, Veggies and diarrhea

Ok, so I am on day 23 and am nursing my 8 month old. I know that my supply tanks when I dont have enough fat and starchy carbs, so I increase those daily- However, my veggie intake significantly suffers because Im just not hungry. I do snack sometimes and it's usually raw veggies, a piece of fruit and some nuts. I got through the bloated constipated stage and feel great EXCEPT I have diarrhea now and have had for the past couple of days (and before that, floaty poop...sorry if TMI) So frustrating. I know it's due to not enough vegetables, but I just dont know how to make it happen. I know smoothies arent on plan but Im wondering if that might help and what would be recommended?

Ok, so I am on day 23 and am nursing my 8 month old. I know that my supply tanks when I dont have enough fat and starchy carbs, so I increase those daily- However, my veggie intake significantly suffers because Im just not hungry. I do snack sometimes and it's usually raw veggies, a piece of fruit and some nuts. I got through the bloated constipated stage and feel great EXCEPT I have diarrhea now and have had for the past couple of days (and before that, floaty poop...sorry if TMI) So frustrating. I know it's due to not enough vegetables, but I just dont know how to make it happen. I know smoothies arent on plan but Im wondering if that might help and what would be recommended?

Take a look at what I bolded here... you said these two things back-to-back.

I'd recommend planning 4 template meals for the day (not snacks), and if you can't finish one, you save it for a mini-meal later instead of "snacking".

Fruit is ok with a meal, but not ok to push veggies off your plate.

Nuts are ok as a fat source with a meal, but again, not to push veggies off your plate.

Don't know how many nuts you've been eating or what kind, but they can and will cause digestive issues for folks.  Maybe try cutting those out for several days and see how you feel.  If the thought of that sends you into a panic, then you really need to ditch them anyway.

Also, maybe try cooking all your veggies.  Raw veggies can be tough for some people to handle, period.

Thank you for this! You are so right about the snacking. However, it's sort of like I can't stomach anymore at a meal and then once I finish nursing I am ravenous. Im not so sure I can do anything about that. I have cut out the nuts entirely now- it's not so much that I love them, just that they were an easy source of fat that I noticed contributed to my supply (I have always struggled having enough milk, so when I find something that works, I just do it no questions asked). Great idea about just making larger meals and having the leftovers as snacks. Seems obvious so Im not sure why that didn't occur to me. Thank you!!

Also, I am planning to extend this until I get this figured out (I started it with a goal of regulating my out of whack hormones--more than just post baby stuff---so getting the snacking under control if possible is extremely important for that reason alone if nothing else). And this is my 4th Whole30 (2nd time while bfing-different baby). Not sure if that matters. But I understand the rules well.

Archived