Starting Feb 1!

loranramsey

I'm in.  I did a Whole28 last fall and it was not horrible but not perfect.  YKWIM?  Anyway.  This time around I'm just wanting to whole30 my way through February (and part of March). 

I would definitely recommend the daily emails.  If you haven't read the book It Starts With Food, I'd definitely recommend that.

Also my go to books for recipes are Well Fed, Well Fed 2 and Nom Nom Paleo.  But a lot of the cooking just consists of dumbing down the menu.  You don't have to be an acrobat to cook in a healthy way unless you're trying to recreate the foods that you normally would have when NOT doing a Whole30.  And that I would not recommend. 

I'm a fan of the KISS method:  "Keep it Simple Stupid"

Just about ready to start. Most of the toxic stuff is out of my house except some cheese and yogurt. I was in the habit of doing yogurt every morning for the probiotics but just read that sauerkraut is good for that but I can't imagine having that for breakfast. All the rest of the food I am getting rid of is non-perishable and can be given to the food banks.

I'm writing from the Netherlands and the thing we have here that is the most like kale is called boerenkool. It's a lot coarser than kale and I cannot tolerate it raw in a "smoothie". I discovered some serious stomach issues when I tried to make the smoothie my niece was having when I visited America in September.. Now I've learned that boerenkool (kale), if you boil it for a couple of hours can be drained and used to make a kind of veggie thing with cooked carrots and potatoes.Plus I learned in the book you don't even do smoothies in the first 30 days anyhow.

Have known about this system of eating since visiting my niece but just began the book and am only up to page 228 so far. I probably won't be able to start the actual 30 until I get this book finished. There are some others who plan to start on February 18th, I guess to have it coincide with Lent so nobody notices when you aren't eating everything that doesn't bite you back. Anyhow, I am too old to be affected by peer pressure so this should be easy. Just putting it off because I LOVE dairy. I promise not to buy any more but I really want to finish what I already have in the house.

My biggest challenge was stopping alcohol and that I managed to do at the end of June when I was planning the trip to America for baby worship (my niece has two little boys) and I didn't want to show up fat. I REALLY like beer in the summer and had just got back from Barcelona where I got on the outside of some of that righteous San Miguel beer. Stopping the drinks was a huge accomplishment for me and I dropped about 8 kilos before I left for America on the first of September.

Now I'm keeping a body mass index of 2.4 (and yes, I am hooked on daily weighing...) so this is not a weight loss program for me. It really is all about health and I have been "semi" on the program just because of my niece telling me about it but now realizing what it involves and it has captured my imagination.

So maybe I won't end up in this group but if somebody comments, I'll answer.

Archived