No Quit In Me This Time

Poppi

I made a commitment to myself in September to get my life together and since then I have dealt with some difficult family issues, legal issues and childhood trauma. Hubby and I have done the work to make our marriage stronger, my relationship with my kids is stronger and for the first time in my life I have nobody to forgive and I have fallen in love with myself.

The last issue for me to tackle is my health and my long history of making excuses. I have Interstitial Cystitis. If I eat strict gluten free I can reduce my medication but even eating GF I can't stop it entirely. Between the side effects of the medication and emotional/addictive eating I have gained 30 pounds in the last 2.5 years.

It is time for me to treat my body with love. I have everything I need to be successful. A great kitchen, a wonderful support network who will give me the tough love I need and call me on my bullshit, the ability to afford quality food and the time to cook and eat well.

Last year I quit on day 9. The sugar dragon got the best of me. Not this time.

post-38071-0-56164400-1422551642_thumb.j

Day 1

Meal 1:

Eggs, yams, pork shoulder and black coffee

Workout:

(30 minutes after meal 1 so no pre-workout required) 5.5 km walked/run on treadmill

Post-workout:

Hard boiled egg and black coffee

Meal 2:

Chocolate chili with yams and zucchini

Meal 3:

Lemon & Artichoke Chicken and Carrot & Cardamom Soup

It's almost 8:00 now and I kind of feel like I haven't eaten enough today but want to avoid the late night snacking. Not positive what the right thing to do is but I am thinking of another 1/2 serving of protein.

It's almost 8:00 now and I kind of feel like I haven't eaten enough today but want to avoid the late night snacking. Not positive what the right thing to do is but I am thinking of another 1/2 serving of protein.

If you're hungry, go for it.

If you're hungry, go for it.

By the time I had finished cooking for the next day and cleaned up the kitchen I wasn't hungry any more. Headed off to bed at 10:30 exhausted but not starving. It was a nice change.

And thank you so much for replying! I followed your links and am having Whole30 longanisa with cauliflower rice and eggs for dinner! So excited.

Day 2

Meal 1:

Eggs, spinach, yams and black coffee

Meal 2:

Chocolate chili, yams, salad with avocado oil and balsamic vinegar and club soda with lime

Work out:

3 km fast walk with incline on treadmill

Post workout:

1/2 an apple with some almond butter

Meal 3:

Homemade sausage, cauliflower rice, roasted asparagus and an egg

I am BEAT. It's 8:45 and I actually want to go to bed which is a new thing for me. I'm thinking I should try to eat some more of my dinner but I'm just not feeling hungry today. Every meal has been a struggle.

Felt surprisingly good today. I entered into this after a good 4 months gluten free which I think is helping a bit as the only real detox I have to go through will be sugar. I was planning on avoiding fruit but the balsamic vinegar on the salad triggered a low grade sweet craving and then I had the apple. I am going to avoid fruits (and balsamic vinegar) for the next few days.

I know why I failed at my last W30 attempt. I was using Larabars to knock back the sugar cravings. I knew 1 Larabar a day was probably a bad idea but it wasn't until I looked back at it much later that I saw what exactly happened. I entered KILL ALL THE THINGS on day 3 and because I never really got through the sugar cravings I was still in KATT 6 days later. So I quit. No Larabars this time. I did buy a few but they are going in the emergency kit under the cargo area of the SUV. If I need one when I'm out I will have to pull over the car, remove dog/groceries/stuff, pull up the floor and get out the kit. I am not that motivated.

Day 3

Meal 1:

Eggs, cauliflower rice, homemade sausage, spinach and coffee with coconut milk

Workout:

3.2 km run on treadmill

Postworkout:

Small bowl of carrot and leek soup made with bone broth and sprinkled with hemp hearts

Meal 2:

Pina Colada Chicken (Well Fed) and cauliflower rice. Unfortunately I hated this dish and wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat very much which set me up for a snacky afternoon.

Snacks in the afternoon:

1/2 a banana with almond butter

carrot sticks and homemade mayo

Meal 3:

Portabello mushroom, asparagus and spinach frittata, sauteed cabbage and bacon
1/2 an apple with almond butter

Right before bed:

a spoonful of almond butter straight from the jar

So clearly almond butter is a bit of a problem for me. I'm not really sure how that fits with W30 eating. It's totally compliant...right? It's not SWYPO and it's not Food Without Brakes as it has nutrition. I'm not restarting as I read in one of the various manifestos that falling into a bowl of fruit and nut butter isn't perfection but it's not off plan either.

Almond butter (and nuts and seeds in general) can be a food without brakes. Any food can if you can't stop eating it and it pushes away other foods. It's compliant, but you are highly encouraged to limit consumption because while it has nutrients, it also has inflammatory molecules that accumulate the more you eat it.

No need to re-start, but it might be advisable to put the jar away for the duration of your Whole30.

Day 4

Meal 1:

Leftover frittata, bacon, yams and black coffee

Meal 2:

Carrot and Leek soup made with bone broth, 1 hardboiled egg, salad and 1/2 a banana with some almond butter

Meal 3:

Salmon, white potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts with bacon... and a piece of Crackling Chicken eaten while cooking dinner

Today was great! I allowed myself the small amount of banana (probably less than 1/2 to be honest) and some almond butter but I ate it with a meal and there has been zero snacking outside of meals unless you count the 1 piece of Nom Nom Paleo's Cracklin Chicken I ate while I was cooking dinner. I am counting it as part of dinner because it was eaten less than 30 minutes before that meal and I was really hungry. I'm happy I chose to satisfy that hunger with chicken rather than almond butter.  I think my snackiness yesterday was hormonal but since all my usual PMS symptoms were totally nonexistent I didn't notice it for what it was. Almond butter isn't holding nearly the appeal today as it was yesterday. I'm quite pleased as my usual PMS eating would have involved a lot of chocolate... or alcohol... or alcohol with chocolate.

Day 5

A few months ago when my dietary changes started really making a great improvement in the progression and severity of my autoimmune disease I was given the all clear to increase or decrease my meds within my prescribed limit. I have been steadily decreasing the meds and last night when I reached for the containers at bedtime I though to myself, "Nah, I think I'm good"

For the first time in 18 months I am med-free. Since my meds have both sedating and addictive properties there is a bit of an unpleasant adjustment period. I didn't sleep well last night and my stomach has been unsettled today. I've stayed totally compliant but I haven't eaten a lot and I am pretty sure a bedtime snack is going to be necessary to settle my stomach enough to sleep. I hope to be totally out of the withdrawal period in a day or two.

Oh, another big win! This morning, despite not having slept well, I hopped up out of bed when my first alarm went off! Alarms 2-5 were unnecessary. I seriously cannot remember the last time that happened for me.

Meal 1:

Cracklin chicken, brussels sprouts, potatoes and coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:

Salmon, potatoes, yams, brussels sprouts and herbal tea

Meal 3:

Crackin chicken and carrot soup

Workout:

Easy 2.5 km walk on treadmill - no incline

Days 6 & 7

Well, I was off meds for 2 days, that's the length of time they take to clear my system. Yesterday I woke up in pain. It was a tough day and last night I took my meds again. I am on the lowest dose but it was an eye opener to discover how much pain is hiding under that dose. I have further to go than I thought!

Food was okay for both days. Totally compliant but more fruit than would be ideal. The returning pain was making me feel really scattered and unfocused so my food prep wasn't on point and I turned to fruit and nuts in the place of more balanced meals.

Getting back on track now. Happy to be on day 8 and still not having considered quitting.

• 2 weeks later...

12 more days, you can do it! Maybe do an online search for a new, compliant, meal to try? I totally understand the burn out / boredom that sets in at this point.

I'm heading into the kitchen now to make some tuna patties, lemon aioli, sauteed yams, taco beef, pico de gallo,  bone broth, cauliflower soup, a big salad, roasted brussels sprouts and pork chops. Hopefully that'll hold me through the next few days.

Yesterday I packed a small cooler with hard boiled eggs, meatballs, cut veggies and half a melon. Then I lost it. So yesterday was a bit rough and today I am missing my cooler.

Archived