Day 10 and still here

SarahG

Hi Sarah,

I hear ya, it's so tough to let go of habits. It took me a long time to banish nightly snacks. Have you tried brushing your teeth right after dinner? That helped me, especially when I brushed and flossed. I didn't want to eat again and have to do it over!

I hope your stomach troubles are over...

PS..Something else I did was after dinner, I would wash the dishes, turn off the light and say out loud "The kitchen is closed". It sounds silly but it helped re-enforce the no snacking rule.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snacking is such a hard habit to break, I think I'm getting there with the help of the Whole30. Good on you for sticking with the whole30 until you have the 3 meals a day under your belt. Are you eating enough in your meals? I know you aren't getting cravings but maybe your body still isn't quite satisfied. Maybe ramp up the food intake a little bit. I have read that suggested in many topics by veteran Whole30ers.

Hope your day is good.

Michelle

Thanks all

My snacking may be hunger

Having been a dieter all my life I don't know when I am hungry or not

So used to ignoring hunger signals and skipping meals

That should be another goal here for me

I often used to eat very little during the day then overeat at night and snack

I am not a very big eater ,so eat quite small meals.it's hard for me but will try eat more at meals

Love your suggestion Lori .to close up the kitchen.be good for the husband too

Anyway let me log yesterday

Breakfast,two eggs and a few veggies

Lunch,chicken leftovers and veggies but then I felt hungry so ate nuts .decided if I add nuts as part of meal it was ok

Snack of almond butter mixed with cacoa as I needed something before work

Late dinner salmon...only half a piece ,salad,pumpkin

Snack blueberries

So I thought that was ok day

Day 21 almost over

Not a bad day but i was very hungry in the late afternoon before dinner and had to eat some pumpkin

I think it's cos I didn't eat enough for breakfast

Had to start work really early so only had time to grab a hb egg

Then the only thing I could get for breakfast was an almond milk smoothie... I know we are not suppose to drink our food but it was the only whole30 compliant thing I could get

Lunch was a frittatas with veggies but not enough

Snack ,apple and almond butter...so yummy

Dinner,fish and baked veggies.

Blueberries for a snack

Hope I can control late night eating

Hi Sarah,

you're doing great. I know exactly how you feel as I have also been a dieter for 20+ years which is ridiculous when I think about it. I was reading your last post and it made me think about something Tom Denham mentioned in one of his posts which is that when he started eating the Whole30 way he ate 5 meals a day and gradually dropped back to three. Maybe that would work for you, have more mini meals (as I like to call them) rather than snacks, i.e. have some salmon cakes and avocado for a mid morning or afternoon meal. Then gradually work back up to having large main meals. You'll soon work out if you are really hungry or not too.

Think i will try that especially on days when I work late

I need to have a late afternoon snack

I think I should also balance my snacks,make them mini meals instead of just fruit or nuts

Anyway we now have no cashew nuts in this house .I cant resist them

Day 22

Ok today was a good day

Breakfast,eggs pumpkin cherry tomatoes

Snack,apple

Lunch salad with added roast veggies and trout

Dinner baked fish and baked veggies

Snack strawberries

Busy day so no time to snack...had an afternoon nap instead

Feel good today .can see myself living like this

I did feel a bit grumpy though when I saw myself in the mirror at the gym.i had been feeling a bit thinner but wasn't happy with my reflection at all

Have to keep reminding myself this is not about getting thinner it's about getting healthier

On to day 26

Have to say i am getting the hang of this

Made myself such a nice dinner:moracan meat balls,mashed sweet potaoes,cauliflower rice and sauted cabbage with a bit of apple

All the different flavours were so yum

Now my next big thing is to hold firm and not weigh myself,ever

When I put on my work pants they are loose but when I put on my gym clothes i look fat ,then I feel down cos i think I have lost no weight.

I am afraid that if I weigh myself and find I havnt lost I will be so miserable eventho I tell myself it doesn't matter

How was your day,Mich?how did you go with the carb craving?

Hey Sarah,

yesterday was good. Eating more and having some sweet potato seems to have made all the difference. No carb cravings and I got my energy back which is great.

Your dinner sounds delicious, I am going to try the cauliflower rice in the next couple of days it sounds great.

Great idea with giving up the scales, they aren't reliable particularly from day to day and can derail you if you step off them disappointed.

Off to work. Have a good day.

Michelle

Day 26

Last night I woke up in the early hours feeling waves of anxiety .i havnt had that for awhile and was sort of hoping it was gone

I lay in bed not being able to get back to sleep and one of the things i couldnt stop thinking about of course was this whole 30

I wanted to weigh myself and I wanted to give it all up

Strange thing the brain cos I am nor even craving carbs anymore .it's more of a psychological thing with me

I have a bit of a history of disordered eating..I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder but since I was16 I have been on and off many many diets and eating plans.

I am not overweight ,i like to maintain a weight that is at the lowest end for my height or even a bit under.for me the perfect bmi is19 which I struggle to get to now that I am older,I have a bmi of 20

Huge confession time

Is this whole30 good for me or am I just getting involved in another disordered way of eating.

I am really hoping this will help me become a more normal eater

I want to just eat ,be happy with my body and not be constantly obsessed with diet and loosing weight.last night I convinced myself I had not lost any wight and that I was eating too much

This morning i feel so much better.had to write all that.

I know for me the first step is not to weigh myself.

I have to make this a way of life and not about being a low number on the scale.

Last night I

Sarah, glad you got on the forum and wrote all about that. I totally understand where you are coming from. It is so hard to give up that focus on weight. Eating is so much more than weight though and it sounds like you are a very healthy weight. BMI isn't necessarily a great indicator of health either. If you google BMI you'll see a lot of research querying the benefit of BMI, here's one (http://www.livestrong.com/article/99581-bmi-flawed/).

You don't need to be perfect either you just need to be you.

Hope the day was a good one.

Hey Sarah, Day 29 for us today. Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing.

There is a whole lot of support here from me and others. It helps so much with the ups and downs. Hope you are okay.

Michelle

Thanks mich

Everyone is really great

I am feeling quite good today.still not super excited about the food and feel a bit disappointed cos I dont look like I have lost any weight.

But I had a good night and don't feel bloated

Will continue trying to eat mostly veggies and smaller portions

Have a good day

Hi Sarah,

Day 30 tomorrow, it seems like it has gone so fast. Glad to hear that you're feeling good. I can't imagine what it is like to go from being a vegetarian to eating meat 3ish times a day. I think you have put in a great effort. Maybe there is a bit more trial and error for you to get the food right. Have you felt like you've learnt a bit more about eating and health by doing the Whole30 despite its challenges?

Mich

Day 30 tomorrow

I have been feeling so much better the past two days

Sorry for all my complaining about indigestion and queasiness

Everyone has been most helpful and supportive

I really wanted to get to day 30 even though I am going on.had to proove to myself that I could do it

Mich,I have learned a lot about eating.I know that all the grains and legumes contributed to my bloating and stomach aches and sort of foggy feeling.i definilty have more energy and no cravings ,i watch my husband eating my fav dark choc and don't even want a bite,this is huge coming from a person who ate chocolate every single day.

I am a bit upset that my roll of fat around my middle is still there but i am planning to give up that concern

But maybe giving up That fixation is my next goal.

Enjoy tomorrow

Day 30 done

But I want to go on at least for a week

What can I say

The positives,

My sleep is good,I wake up early and don't feel tired through the day

I don't get so bloated

I don't crave carbs or sugar at all

I don't get starving hungry at odd times during the day

My moods are more even

However,I lost no weight but my clothes are looser

I havnt felt that great surge of energy

I still eat too many nuts

And I am still struggling with eating so much protein

So for me this is not over.

I plan to go on for at least another week

I go away in two weeks time and may try reintroducing some food before I go

But I do feel very proud of myself for getting here .there have been many days ,in fact most days when I felt i was going to give up

But now i seem to be on a roll

I am working out what is best for me to eat yet still remaining compliant eg eating mostly veggies and only a small amount of meat or chicken

I really need to work on the snacking especially the nuts.

Last night I dreamed I got a certificate for completing the W30

I have started so many things in my life and not finished them that I have a sense of a achievement just getting to the end

Now i will go on eating like this

I just have to conquer those nuts.

I walk past the fridge and pick at them all evening or if I am home in the afternoon

Is this because my body is still craving somethin?or is it habit?it's not emotional eating but it's definetky odd behavior

I used to chew gum all the time so I am thinking it's some kind of habit that needs to be broken

Today i am starting to break it

Just eating three meals a day and will eat a mini meal before evening work

This may be even harder than cutting out sugar.

Archived