Day One . . . August 27, 2012

JoyfulSusan

I had planned to start the Whole30 a couple of weeks ago when I got back from a girls' weekend to Florida and a big family wedding. But life got in the way. But I am committing 100% to myself and this plan today. If anyone else is starting now, please join me here to discuss what is working, what isn't, and just basic support for the plan.

Namaste :D

Susan

Welcome everyone!! It's so nice to have other people to share this journey with. I'd love to hear what brought everyone to Whole30. I've tried every diet in the world and none of them have worked. I reached my goal weight in 2004 but couldn't maintain it. I am a total sugar addict. I turned 50 in December and am really starting to worry about my weight and health for the second half of my life. I stumbled upon Mark's Daily Apple and then found Whole9 from there. I know this isn't supposed to be a weight-loss plan but that is honestly a big part of what I am after here.

I started looking into the program for my son actually. He is 9 has ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder and has major stomach issues that the drs can't figure out what is wrong. So I'm hoping this will be the answer. I'm starting as well because I need to be healthier!! I'm 40 and have lost 23lbs on my own...portion control and such...but I am also a complete sugar addict!! I know that this is the answer to our family's issues :).

Welcome everyone!! It's so nice to have other people to share this journey with. I'd love to hear what brought everyone to Whole30. I've tried every diet in the world and none of them have worked. I reached my goal weight in 2004 but couldn't maintain it. I am a total sugar addict. I turned 50 in December and am really starting to worry about my weight and health for the second half of my life. I stumbled upon Mark's Daily Apple and then found Whole9 from there. I know this isn't supposed to be a weight-loss plan but that is honestly a big part of what I am after here.

I have arrived at Whole30 after years of Weight Watchers - bouncing back and forth between my "goal" weight and my present state. I have the classic dangerous belly, a family history of Type II diabetes and heart disease, and a history of gastric troubles. I have "dabbled" at paleo all summer but felt that a dedicated month of Whole30 eating would jump start my progress toward making paleo a lifestyle.

So, how did everyone do on their first day? I had 3 eggs for breakfast, which kept my hunger at bay until 1:30. Usually I'm starving by noon. I had a salad of mixed greens, a small yellow tomato and tuna in olive oil with balsamic vinegar. For dinner I had salmon and asparagus. I ate a frozen banana while I watched Warehouse 13. No wine with dinner, which is our usual routine. That will be hard to give up for 30 days.

Good job, Susan! I hear you about the wine...in my case, it is beer, which I know I will have to give up FOR GOOD for find a gluten-free option. Today, I need to have a bit more for lunch or plan a mid-afternoon snack...

Hi everyone,

Day 3 feeling good!

I stumbeled upon Whole 30 through Marks Daily apple, I had been "kinda" paleo for about 8 months 2 years ago, felt great, had loads of energy, and got to my goal weight, however I went back to university and usual story ...things started to slip....also I had been smoking back then, I have been off the cigs now for over 3 months, and while this is great I can't say that I feel great, I just have no energy, I'm not sleeping well plus I have put on weight....anyway eureka moment...Its what I'm eating thats making me feel this way!! ISWF :)

So here I am, day 3 so far so good although I am worried I might be eating too much, I was stuffed lastnight and couldn't finish my dinner! I have been avoiding snacking.

Meal 1 - 2 small pork sausage ( homemade) mushroom, spinach, tomato and a fried egg (coconut oil)

meal 2 - pumpkin and chili soup, small portion of nuts and a peach

meal 3 - beef stew, made with onion garlic stock, tomato puree and sweet potato.

Thinking about it now as I'm writing....hmmmmm I did a lot of cooking yest made a breakfast loaf made some paleo mayo and also some coleslaw and I'm sure I picked and tasted and had a spoon of this and that!!! grrrrrrrr so my snacking theory is s**t ;) I'll watch than from now on.....

Sorry for the long post...but it been a revelation!

best of luck everyone!

Thanks for the long post!! It's nice to hear how others are working their way through this. I see that some people start all over again at Day 1 if they have a mishap but I am not in that camp. I've had some half & half in my coffee at work but everything else has been great so I am not starting over. But that's just me.

I felt like I had a really great day yesterday. I got hungry after dinner (I think I didn't eat enough) and had a frozen banana in the evening. No other snacks. If you read "The Timeline: A Day-by-Day Guide to Your Whole30", you will see that Days 2 and 3 people tend to run out of steam and get headachy. That's me. I had the hardest time getting out of bed this morning!

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

How is everyone else doing?

Hi All,

How is everyone?

Begining of day 6 for me! I felt really bloated and sluggish yesterday, not sure why, maybe carb flu?? but I really thought I had been sleep walking and raided the fridge and bread bin! Food has been really clean, but I did have a few cashew nuts that may have done it??

Other than that all is going well, I'll kick up the exercise today hopefully, I have done some of the "insanity" workouts any thoughts on these??

Also I made these http://www.modernpaleowarfare.com/2012/08/when-greeks-attackaka-lamb-koftas.html yum yum had them with roasted broccoli, carrot and peppers...delish.......also a very funny blog!

almost a week down!! delighted with myself :) hopefully I can continue to be organised, back in college next week, so that will be a big test.

keep up the good work

susie

I just can't do it. I fell of the wagon yesterday . . . Off the planet really. A protein shake for lunch Two pieces of chocolate cake at a friend's birthday party. Mexican for dinner and split a blizzard with my husband after. I was feeling too deprived. Gotta have my half & half in my coffee and a glass of wine in the evening!

thats a pity Susan....GET BACK ON THE HORSE!!! you know you can do it, maybe experiment with compliant foods that wont make you feel deprived...its not easy but you started W30 for a reason, re-visit these and see how you feel......(or tell me to feck off and mind my own business!!!! ;) )

Day 7 for me...delighted with myself again!!! energy levels a bit all over the place, I had hoped to get moving yesterday but ended up not bothering, I tend to feel great in the morning, but fade in the afternoon...like now, I've just had a yummy lunch and black coffee, yet I'm slouched on my bed writing this...I WILL GO FOR A WALK.....in a minute!

How is everyone doing??

I just can't do it. I fell of the wagon yesterday . . . Off the planet really. A protein shake for lunch Two pieces of chocolate cake at a friend's birthday party. Mexican for dinner and split a blizzard with my husband after. I was feeling too deprived. Gotta have my half & half in my coffee and a glass of wine in the evening!

So sorry for your fall. :(

You CAN do this. I hope you give it another try. I had issues post Whole30 number one and couldn't figure out how

Paleo I really wanted to be. I really struggled with figuring out a balance that seemed sustainable in the long term. After months of offroading I came back for Whole30 number 2 last month and it's so much easier this time. I don't feel deprived AT ALL and I am on Day 34. It's really hard to explain. It took a lot of months to get here but I am finally mentally prepared and ready to make this a permanent habit for me. That is something I simply could not say back in February for Whole30 number one.

Good Luck to you and just remember the Whole30 and this forum are here for you whenever you are ready for it!

Susan, I'm with Susie - don't let a bad day totally de-rail you. Life happens. I'm struggling at times but tell myself that there is a reason I started this journey...to feel better and be healthy FOR THE LONG TERM!

You can do it! Have you tried coconut milk vs. half and half in your coffee? Perhaps back off on the exercise intensity while you focus on food? Just a couple of thoughts...

hello hello...how is everyone?

Day 12 I think?? all going pretty well, it was a challenge this week as I was back in college so had to be super organised, and I was!!

I feel really good, tired after a long week now....still havent kicked my ass exercise wise...i will I will I will....soon....

tomorrow is cooking day...excited! going to attempt pork belly, I don't have a slow cooker but I will do it in the conventional oven on low for a few hours, found a super simple recipe here http://tgipaleo.com/2012/07/22/pork-belly-made-easy/

must figure out what's for dinner now.... :P its funny a few weeks ago I would have shoved a pizza in the oven...even though I'm very tired now I'm still looking forward to cooking a yummy whole 30 meal.

hope everyone is still doing well

Archived