Alex's Whole30 Desert Edition

Alexian28

30 days to change your life.  Sounds a little incredible, but I believe it.  After all, where does eating junk get me?  To a crappy mood, aching joints, fatigue and overfat.  I already know and accept that I will need longer than 30 days, but the 30 is just what I am focusing on.  Well, realistically on one day, sometimes one hour or one minute at a time.  

Hit the gym this morning for half hour of warm up cardio and some weights.  It felt good to go early this morning, so I know it's done when I'm exhausted in the evening.  Need to work out something else for exercise though.  The fitness center at the apartment is pretty crappy, and the Y that I belong to is by my work.... but I hate exercising in the middle of the day.  This will require some more pondering.

Day 1

I think I'll have a new topic for each day, and write as much or little as I need for each, including food, emotions, struggles, physical and mental wellness, etc. Some days may be short, some long. Even if no one reads it but me, it will be helpful :-)

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and tomato tossed in homemade vinaigrette. Water

Lunch: green leaf lettuce salad with tomato, cucumber, compliant canned chicken breast, chia seeds, homemade vinaigrette. Small apple. Water.

Dinner: Lime chicken (lime juice, EVOO, garlic salt, cilantro) with carrots, cauliflower, broccoli.  Water.  (P.S.  I completely forgot I could have a small piece of fruit after dinner.  I was kinda missing something sweet although I almost never eat dessert at night.  I think it'd be best for my well being to not eat fruit after dinner, though then I only have one piece of fruit a day.  Hmmmm.....)

Exercise:  A day.  5 min treadmill warm-up. Chest, shoulders, triceps.

Impressions on the day: Exhausted this morning.  I've constantly felt a lack of sleep the past few weeks and it's here again today despite getting enough sleep.  Can't focus.  

Thank you Krista!

Day 2

No way in hell was I getting up early to exercise this morning.  Went to sleep at 9 last night and slept till 6:45 this morning, and still incredibly sleepy.  Yikes.  I just tell myself my body is working extra hard to readjust itself and I need to suck it up; this too shall pass.  I packed a gym bag to hit the Y today during or after work.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and tomato tossed in homemade vinaigrette. Water.  (Upped my fat intake a bit this morning compared to yesterday). Water.

Lunch: Leftover lime chicken, broccoli, cauliflower.  Small side salad with vinaigrette. Small apple. Water. (I didn't pack enough dressing/fat yesterday so I'm upping it a bit today)

Dinner: Taco salad.  I have ground beef thawing and I have spices, just need to find a good spice mix!

Exercise:  B day.  5 min treadmill warm-up. Back, biceps.  20 min elliptical

Impressions on the day: Felt ok today.  Pretty sleepy.  Started workout strong but was definitely feeling exhausted at the end.

Sore, sore, sore!  Ouch!  I can barely lift my arms above my head.  Thank goodness today's exercise is just cardio.  Some of the sleepiness has gone away.

Day 3

Although breakfast was delicious, I felt so bloated after I ate, as if I overate, even though I had the same amount as the last 2 days.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and tomato tossed in homemade vinaigrette. Water.  Water.

Lunch: Leftover lime chicken, salad with tomato and cucumber, vinaigrette. Nectraine. Water. 

Dinner: "Fried chicken" with almond meal, steamed green beans and broccoli.

Exercise:  Cardio day.  30 min interval treadmill.

Impressions on the day: Not too bad today.  I feel a bit more alert during the day though it's still hard to focus at work.  I made mayo tonight and the dreamy avocado dressing.  Delish!  And I don't even like store bought mayo.

So, it's day 4 and I don't want to kill all the things.  I actually feel pretty good.  Makes me think I'm not doing this whole30 thing right even though I am! 

Day 4

Felt a bit nauseous after breakfast again this morning though it went away quickly.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and carrots, creamy avocado dip.  Water.

Lunch: Leftover lime chicken and almond chicken, salad with tomato and cucumber, avocado dressing. Apple. Water. 

Dinner: Carnitas from "Well Fed" with whatever veggies I pull out of the freezer.

Exercise:  C day. 5 min treadmill warm up, quads, hamstrings, calves, abs.

Impressions on the day: So far (it's only 2:30pm) I feel GOOD today despite a bout of crankiness in the morning when my 2 year old was throwing yet another tantrum.

Today I learned you really can have too much dressing on your salad.

Day 5

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and carrots, creamy avocado dip.  Water.

Lunch: Taco salad (leftover taco meat, lettuce, carrots, tomato) with avocado dressing. Apple. Water. 

Dinner: Same as breakfast

Exercise:  A day. 5 min treadmill warm up, chest, shoulders, triceps

Impressions on the day: Either I slept on my arm funny or I picked up my daughter wrong but a tendon in my left elbow is pretty sore and swollen today. Figures it'd happen on upper body day!  I may have to skip the free weights today and just do machine weights to prevent some range of motion issues.  Felt sick after dinner.

Day 6

Lunch: Chicken salad (compliant canned chicken, homemade mayo), side salad. Water. 

Dinner: Compliant turkey sausage, roasted cauli and broccoli. Water.

Exercise:  Cardio. 30 min treadmill.

Impressions on the day: Arm was super painful today. And I'm getting sick after my eggs/sausage/avocado meal.  I used to have issues eating whole avocados but not guac.  I forsee a food trial tomorrow.

Day 7

Breakfast: Out to breakfast!  3 scrambled eggs, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, strawberries, sliced tomato.  Water.

Lunch: Leftover turkey sausage and roasted veggies. Blackberries. Water.

Dinner: Pork roast, carrots, potato.  Water.

Exercise:  Took today off to rest my arm.

Impressions on the day: Thank goodness husband had this day off.  If I had to pick up my daughter one more time my arm was going to fall off.  Got to rest it today and depending on how it feels I'll try to hit the gym again tomorrow.  Feeling very sleepy. 

Day 8 02/23/2015

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, tomato, leftover potato fried in coconut oil.  Water.

Lunch: Leftover pork roast, carrots, green beans. Apple. Water. 

Dinner: Swiss steak.

Exercise:  B day. 5 min treadmill warm up, back, biceps

Impressions on the day: Feeling fine today though it's harder each day to not step on the scale, even though I doubt I've lost any weight.  I certainly don't look any different and my clothes don't fit differently.  

Day 9 02/24/2015

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, tomato, leftover potato fried in coconut oil.  Water.

Lunch: Out to lunch! Compliant chicken with spinach, romaine, carrots, strawberries and cranberries. 

Dinner: Grilled chicken, steamed carrots and broccoli.

Exercise:  C day. 5 min treadmill warm up, quads, hams, calves, abs

Impressions on the day: Just a day.  Feeling a bit better at the gym though my arm is still a bit sore.  Back isn't bothering me nearly as much.

Day 10 02/25/2015  1/3 of the way there!

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, tomato and cucumber in homemade vinaigrette.  Water.

Lunch: Salmon salad (homemade mayo) on mixed greens, carrot, radish. Apple. Water. 

Dinner: Taco salad.

Exercise:  Cardio day.  30 min treadmill.

Impressions on the day: I feel a bit lighter on my feet!

Day 11 02/26/2015  

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, tomato and cucumber in homemade vinaigrette.  Water.

Lunch: Baked salmon, steamed carrots and green beans. Water. 

Dinner: Grilled steak, roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower.  Blackberries. Water

Exercise:  A day.  5 min treadmill warm up, chest, shoulders, triceps

Impressions on the day: Felt fuller faster at meals but then was hungrier between meals.  Didn't sleep as well last night.

Day 12 02/27/2015  

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and carrots with homemade ranch.  Water.

Lunch: Leftover chicken in salad with cucumber and tomatoes.  Homemade ranch.  Apple. Water. 

Dinner: Chicken soup with carrots, potato, compliant chicken broth.

Exercise:  B day.  5 min treadmill warm up, back, biceps

Impressions on the day: Still feeling pretty full at meals faster but then hungrier between meals.  Didn't sleep as well again last night and actually woke up tired today for the first time in about a week.

Day 13 02/28/2015  

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber and carrots with vinaigrette.  

Lunch: Baked salmon with artichoke dipped in garlic ghee.  Apple.

Dinner: Prosciutto wrapped asparagus, artichoke dipped in garlic ghee.  Almonds. Blackberries

Exercise:  None

Impressions on the day: Still feeling pretty full at meals faster but then hungrier between meals.  Forums suggested more fat/protein (ugh I'm already full!) and drinking less water with meals.  Exhausted today.

Day 14 03/01/2015  

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber carrots and tomato with vinaigrette.  

Lunch: Leftover scramble.  Two Applegate turkey dogs, broccoli, garlic tomatoes, artichoke dipped in garlic ghee, fried potatoes.

Snack: Almonds and blackberries.  Yes I know this doesn't follow the mini-meal template.  But it worked, I was full again till 5:30.  This was my first snack on the whole30 and just proved to me that this feeling full faster thing just isn't working.

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with TJ sauce and compliant Italian sausage. (first SS attempt, was great!).  Almonds.  (too many nuts).

Exercise:  None

Impressions on the day: Tried drinking less water with my meal, it helped some with that full feeling.  I have a hunch that my appetite is just shifting and I hope it doesn't.  I've loved having to only eat 3 times a day and I don't want to snack! I'm almost halfway through my whole30 and I'm feeling better.  I started doing this to stop all the snacking and I'm terrified of going back to a snack.

Day 15 03/02/2015  Halfway!!

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half a garlic chicken sausage cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, cucumber carrots and tomato with dump ranch.  

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti squash/sauce/added extra chicken because we ate up all the sausage last night.  Blackberries. Almonds.

Dinner: Cracklin' chicken, roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

Exercise:  C day. 5 min treadmill warm up, quads, hams, calves, abs

Impressions on the day

Archived