Why high saturated fat options preferred?

I am "transitioning" from a rather unhealthy diet into a Whole30 challenge (official start date 2/24/15). I am eating approximately 95% Whole30 now (and have for last 8 days), feel AMAZING and really enjoy the plan. However, as someone with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and a strong family history for heart disease, have some concerns about the preference of some foods high in saturated fats; specifically, coconut oil and cashews. Other, less saturated fats are options and I'm using them more often. I would like to learn more about the rational behind those recommendations over Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Walnuts, Almonds etc.

Thank you so much. This program has already changed my life (for the better) and I haven't actually started it yet!

First off, do you have It Starts with Food? It covers this topic in detail.

In brief:

- Saturated fats found in high-quality real food sources make you healthier. The harmful kind of saturated fat comes from eating too many refined carbohydrates

- Saturated fats are your healthiest choice for cooking, especially at high heat. They are very stable when exposed to the air, heat and light.  Olive oil, a monounsaturated fat, is a decent alternative, but not your best option for cooking at high heat.

- Nuts, a compliant polyunsaturated fat (PUFA), are recommended to be consumed only occasionally on a Whole30. Cashews are in a category with the least amount of PUFAs. Almonds have more, walnuts even more, which is why the cashews are recommended over the other two nuts. Too much PUFA makes your cells more vulnerable to oxidation, which predisposes you to inflammation.

You may also find this article helpful: http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy

Regarding your diabetes and high blood pressure, if you take insulin or other medications for these conditions, talk to your doctor before going on your Whole30, per the recommendations in this article.

Here's some more reading on cholesterol from Mark's Daily Apple.  The Cliffnotes version: without the presence of inflammation, there is NO way for cholesterol or other lipids to penetrate blood vessel walls and form plaques. In order for these build-ups to occur, there must first be damage and inflammation present in the blood vessel in order to create the opening necessary to begin this process. Sugar and excess carbohydrate are big contributors to inflammation and also drive the formation of triglycerides not to mention other metabolic conditions like diabetes.

Archived