Still thinking about sweets and baked goods!

CNP21

Hey All!

I am currently on Day 24 on my first Whole30 (!) and it seems to be going great.

I have survived a few social events (work potluck, mom's birthday etc) and am noticing a ton of benefits like better quality of sleep, faster recovery from workouts, not bloated any more, clothes fitting better, learning more about cooking, better mood, more focused, and people have been telling me I look "fresh faced". Haha.

I know I still have six days to go, but I just wanted some opinions on this topic. I am thinking about baked goods and sweets a lot. I sometimes look at paleOMG.com and the paleo treats, so maybe that doesn't help. But I have noticed other people saying they don't crave sweets or even want to try them again after their Whole30.

Also, sometimes I get really ravenous around midday - need. food. now. Is this a sign I am not fully fat-adapted? Should I extend my Whole30 to a Whole45? I can understand how it may take some people longer to adapt physiologically and especially psychologically!

Thanks for reading!

Well, make sure you are getting enough for breakfast -- that might stop the midday hunger. What are you usually eating?

Re: baked goods, there are two different ways that you might be thinking about them. 1) Wanting something sweet because you like something sweet occasionally or 2) jonesing for them like they're heroin. If it's the former, you're a normal human being who likes sweets because they taste good. I had some ice cream between whole30s recently, and it was great! All the better for being rare, probably. If you're obsessing on sweets or feel like you won't feel satisfied until you have them, you're probably still not over being dependent on them.

Today I had leftover dinner for breakfast - coconut curry with pork, broccoli, carrots and kale. Yesterday I had scrambled eggs with onion and kale cooked in coconut oil.

You made a great point there - I think I will always want a cookie because it tastes good! But I may be still somewhat attached to them at this point.... not in a heroin-addict fashion though, so things are definitely improving :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished my whole30!! WOOHOO!

.... But as I moved on into real life (I am now on day 2 or 3 of post-whole30) I am feeling very discouraged. I want cookies, chocolate and baked goods pretty badly at times - and it is now very clearly an unhealthy psychological attachment :unsure: I want these things if I have negative emotions. I am in a way better mood then before my whole30, and am more talkative and friendly with my co-wokers, however I still do have stints of being depressed. Then I want some treats.

I haven't reintroduced anything yet, because I have an olympic lifting competition this saturday so I obviously do not want to feel like crap, have gut irritation, become bloated etc etc etc. I was planning on reintroducing next week just how it is outlined in ISWF, and then after that possibly doing another whole30? I don't really know how else to overcome this - any thoughts or comments would be awesome. Thanks! :)

Archived